It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2008, 09:28 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

DrewsG HB UserDrewsG HB UserDrewsG HB UserDrewsG HB User
Unhappy Taking Mom to hospital

I knew it was coming friends. Thanksgiving day was terrible for Mom and I. I can't go into what happened but pick your worse day as a caregiver and this one was bad. I know she is dehydrated and her breathing is very shallow.
Not sure when I'll be back here.
Pray for me and for my Mom. My sisters and I are in hell.
Love to all,
Chris

Old 11-29-2008, 09:54 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User
Re: Taking Mom to hospital

Chris, my dear,

I am so sorry...hang on hon....we are here for you. hold tight to that towel and we will grab onto the other end to make sure that you are supported. You and your sisters and your mother are in our thoughts and our prayers..know that we are keeping you safe in our circle hon.....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-29-2008, 11:17 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Martha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB User

I'm so sorry - prayers are going up.

Love,

Martha

Old 11-29-2008, 11:20 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

polina HB Userpolina HB User

We are here for you...............
We will hold you your mom and sisters all in our thoughts and prayers..

Love Pauline

Old 11-29-2008, 01:14 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

mary09 HB Usermary09 HB Usermary09 HB User

Chris.....
Sending love and prayers to you also......please let us know how you are, and how mom is doing when you can....
Love, Caroline xo

Old 11-29-2008, 05:14 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User

You and your Mom are both in my thoughts and prayers Chris. Let us know when you can how you both are. Hang in there.... we have the other end of the towel....

Love, deb

Old 12-04-2008, 01:28 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hello Friends,
Mom is still in the hospital. She has improved some from last Saturday. They are doing alot of testing. Very careful with her because of her heart and lungs and kidneys. Gave her platlets(sp?) yesterday to thicken her blood for a colonoscopy. Vitamin K was not allowed because of its clotting problems. At least thats what they tell me.
I did have enough of a fit that they finally did a central line. I know the risks believe me but enough is enough. She lost or blew 15 IV's before they gave her the central line. No more IV lines. Thank God. No diagnosis yet. She is hanging on. Her arms and hands look like she has been beaten severly. She had a reaction to cipro. Never had one before. Now she is covered in hives. That was 3 days ago and they haven't improved much. As a matter of fact she has them in her ears now and eye lids. I'm going to tackle a Dr. when I get there. I can't catch one there. They disappear.Or they come in at midnight. Or "Oh I'm sorry the Dr. had to leave because of an emergency". I don't want to lose my patience. That serves no purpose. But I've just about had it ladies.
Time to head back there and see Mom. We have sitters so I can come home and rest. Her dementia is worse at night of course. But I don't have to spend 16 hrs a day there anymore. I thank God for that also. This lady is a fighter. I have so much respect for her. I hope someday to be that strong.
I'll let you know when I know something more.
Love to all,
Chris
PS Thanks for the towels ladies. I know that you understand what we are going through and knowing your there helps me more than I can ever express to you.

Last edited by DrewsG; 12-04-2008 at 02:01 PM.

Old 12-04-2008, 02:46 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Martha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB User

Sorry for all your troubles. Hives and all kinds of allergic reactions are so awful. And you can develop an allergy to something that always worked fine before.

I do hope your Mom has a good night's rest and they soon find out what to do to help her most.

My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Love,

Martha

Old 12-04-2008, 05:15 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

caringsister54 HB Usercaringsister54 HB Usercaringsister54 HB Usercaringsister54 HB Usercaringsister54 HB User

I sometimes wish we knew each other's true addresses, because I think it would be a hoot to actually send a towel!

We'll keep you in our prayers and your Mom as well. Does she have an advance directive to limit the medical interventions? We do for our Mom. My sister and I both said that we would fulfill the directive and not take any actions to stop the inevitable.

I will keep you in my prayers.

Old 12-04-2008, 06:49 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User

Glad you stopped by to post your Mom's progress Chris. I will continue to keep you and your Mom in my thoughts and prayers. I am glad she is hanging in there for you and your sisters. She is definitely a fighter.

As for the doctor's, I do understand. I tried for a couple of days to catch mom's doctor and finally showed up at his office.... walked right by the nurse and back to his office and sat down. Stayed until he talked to me. Yep, that was the same one that told Mom she was ok to drive... just focus more. Dad's doctor was the best in hospital. He would track us down if we were not in the room. So go get him!!!! You are Mom's advocate.

Glad you re not having to stay 16 hours a day any more and can get some rest. How is the knee holding up? Know you are in our thoughts and hope Mom is better soon.....

Love, deb

Old 12-04-2008, 09:09 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Just taking a minute to answer some questions.
Caring....Yes, I do have an advance directive for Mom. She signed it several years ago. We will not put her through any unnecessary surgery or put her on a vent. Mom has no quality of life now. I'm trying to give her some relief from her pain for the time she has left with us.

Deb, my knee is holding up pretty good. Thanks for asking. I'm trying to get to my PT apts. as much as I can. As for the Dr. ......I called him at the hospital and told him I was there "So where can we meet"? We had a good talk about Moms problems. That helped me feel so much better about what I'm doing today. Tomorrow there will be more decisions to be made.

I'm going to get some rest and hopefully tomorrow will be a better day for Mom.
Love to all,
Chris

Old 12-05-2008, 06:40 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

Chris,

I have washed the towels and they are pressed and ready for you. We can't have you with dirty towels... You need to look your best when you beat up the staff! A good snapped towel on the butt works wonders my dear....

Glad that you finally got the doctor. Having gone through that with Dad, but having been fortunate that Mom's doctor was an angel in disguise I have seen both sides of the spectrum.

Sleep on your thoughts and make your decisions wisely. Think on what your mother would have truly said when she was really your Mom. Let your mind rule your decisions-not your heart. Which is the hardest thing in the world to do. I have had to do that twice and it never got easier...

We are surrounding you with our love and towels to hold you steady and upright. The circle is strong and protective you know....be safe..

Old 12-05-2008, 04:36 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Chris... I do hope you got some rest last night and today was a better day for you and your Mom. Glad you caught up with the doctor. Knowing what is going on, whether we like it or not, is much better than not knowing.

IBake has the clean towels and I nabbed a towel shooter if you need it. Keep us updated as you can and know we keep you in our thoughts and prayers.... and seen warm hugs.

Love, deb

Closed Thread