It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2008, 12:45 PM   #1
(female)

TexasCookie HB User
Question about POA and Medical POA

If I just decide I don't want to be the responsible party any longer what would happen? I'm tired of being blamed for EVERYTHING that happens and I need some rest in my life since I recently found out I have congestive heart problems and can't even afford the meds.

Let me explain ... About a month ago my brother decided to take my mom out of the nursing home and bring her to my house, which is her house, for a visit. SHe was confused, agitated and extremely tired when they left so the NH called me that night to ask permission to sedate her because she was walking up and down the hall hollering for her family and then they had to call again the next day.

The next week when I went to visit I was told that she could not leave the home for awhile, doctors orders. Well of course the brother is blaming me for telling the home to NOT let him take her out. And he even said as much to my mom.

Some of you may remember the poem I posted here that got pulled cause I didn't read the rules. Well I framed the poem and hung it in my moms room where it mysteriously disappeared along with the nail that was holding it up. Not only that, everytime my daughter or I take something over there it gets stuck in a drawer by one of the siblings.

So I'm at the end of my rope. I've filed for social security disability and IF I get it I plan to get the hell out of here and move as far away as I can. SO what happens if I just tell the NH I don't want the responsibilty any longer?

Thanks for listening to me rant,
Mary Lou

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-29-2008, 09:45 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User
Re: Question about POA and Medical POA

I think that would depend on your state laws. You would probably need to seek the advice of a local attorney for that answer. In NC the durable POA can have an alternate to take over if the POA is unable to fulfill their duties. Sister 2 has the durable POA at this point but if for some reason she cannot fulfill her duties I am the appointed alternate. Here the medical POA can be changed at any time by completing a new set of forms. But again... it would depend on your state regularions and I would strongly advice you to check with an attorney. Explain your medical situation, tell them that you are medically unable to fulfill your duties, and see what their recommendation is.

I am sorry to hear that you are not doing well, and I do understand your frustration. I hope you find a solution to your problems.... I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers...

Love, deb

Closed Thread