It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2008, 10:05 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User
Visit with Mom and Dad...

I truly thought Dad looked and acted better than he did when I saw him a week ago. Then my daughter visited and immediately said... Papoo doesn't feel good. Her comparison was different from mine. I had seen him last week and it has been several weeks since she had seen him. So he's better but not back to par yet.

Mom has removed the foam pillow that lifted the back of his chair cushion to make it easier for him to get out of his chair. She also pushed his wheel chair to the front desk and refuses to have it in the room. She said he is just find and she wants things back the way they were.

In the mean time Mom is obcessed with her bowels. It made me think of little deb (miss her and hope she is ok). When I arrived she was constipated. I talked to the med tech and lead care giver. We came up with a plan of action since Mom was to go to the football game with sister 4 and I today. By the time I left last night progress had been made. But this morning... she again claimed to be constipated and swore there was no progress (I knew better). But she went with us anyway.... and had a great time at the ball games. She has been going to these games for over 40 years so it was not unfamiliar territory. By the time we got her back to the facility she was back on the constipation. I KNOW she was successful before I left to drive to my daughters. Two hours later she was back on the constipation complained and swore that she had not gone in days. So she is going.... forgetting she has gone... and continues to complaine. I do hope this phase doesn't last long.

The foam pillow is back under dad's chair cushion to raise the back of the cushion and there are risers under the chair legs that lift the chair to the proper height. I did find the wheel chair and it is safely stowed until Monday when the dinning room reopens. If Dad needs it then, the staff on the floor know where to go get it.

It is definitely a work in progress.... with something new and different every day!!!

Love, deb

PS... I am cooking my second turkey tomorrow for my daughter and her boyfriend Turkey day continues!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-29-2008, 11:26 PM   #2
(female)

Lookingout4Mom HB User
Re: Visit with Mom and Dad...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGabriel10 View Post
I truly thought Dad looked and acted better than he did when I saw him a week ago. Then my daughter visited and immediately said... Papoo doesn't feel good. Her comparison was different from mine. I had seen him last week and it has been several weeks since she had seen him. So he's better but not back to par yet.

Mom has removed the foam pillow that lifted the back of his chair cushion to make it easier for him to get out of his chair. She also pushed his wheel chair to the front desk and refuses to have it in the room. She said he is just find and she wants things back the way they were.

In the mean time Mom is obcessed with her bowels. It made me think of little deb (miss her and hope she is ok). When I arrived she was constipated. I talked to the med tech and lead care giver. We came up with a plan of action since Mom was to go to the football game with sister 4 and I today. By the time I left last night progress had been made. But this morning... she again claimed to be constipated and swore there was no progress (I knew better). But she went with us anyway.... and had a great time at the ball games. She has been going to these games for over 40 years so it was not unfamiliar territory. By the time we got her back to the facility she was back on the constipation. I KNOW she was successful before I left to drive to my daughters. Two hours later she was back on the constipation complained and swore that she had not gone in days. So she is going.... forgetting she has gone... and continues to complaine. I do hope this phase doesn't last long.

The foam pillow is back under dad's chair cushion to raise the back of the cushion and there are risers under the chair legs that lift the chair to the proper height. I did find the wheel chair and it is safely stowed until Monday when the dinning room reopens. If Dad needs it then, the staff on the floor know where to go get it.

It is definitely a work in progress.... with something new and different every day!!!

Love, deb

PS... I am cooking my second turkey tomorrow for my daughter and her boyfriend Turkey day continues!

My Godmother's Mom just died from complications from AD, which turned out to be obstructed bowels...

Just a heads up because it can cause death.

Old 11-30-2008, 07:25 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User

I am aware that is a possibility.... but in Mom's case.... I saw the product! I also am aware that those with dementia can become obcessed with their bowels and can't rememer when they have gone. That is why I was observant as to which was actually the problem. It is definitely lan obcession rather than a physical problem but I do thank you for the heads up. It is easy to dismiss real problems as obcessions or join the obcession when there is no real problem.

Love, deb

Old 11-30-2008, 04:55 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

caringsister54 HB Usercaringsister54 HB Usercaringsister54 HB Usercaringsister54 HB Usercaringsister54 HB User

okay someone mentioned bowels. Sister found out by a Doctors exam on Mother that mother's colan has pro-lapsed outside of rectum. Sister gives mother something to assist with bowl movements and also using hemorroid creams to help in Mother's discomfort. Dr. won't perform any surgery because the anestesia would make her more of a vegetable.

Sister also thinks the feeling of it may make Mother think she has to go more often. I'm not so sure because I don't get that feeling when I'm with Mom.

New issue is that now that I watched her and Sister went out, mother gets agitated if I come over thinking that Sister is going out again. She grabs my shirt and tries to pull be mover to the door screaming 'go, go, go". It makes me feel bad. Also Mother has started to pull tableclothes off tables, pushes everything away and just continually bangs her hand on walls, tables, or stomps her foot. She seems annoyed at something but we truly can't figure out what.

She has also started to eat less. Its hard to get the sedative in her when she won't eat the food Sister puts it in. Mixing it in sweet things like Ensure liquids or in puddings, doesn't always work as Mom will not take it, or she'll throw it and spill it.

Nurse who we got for two hours per week so Sister can get shopping and banking done, said there is something that they use in a nursing home. Its some sort of topical sedative that gets applied to the inside of the wrist. Anyone know what it is? Nurse was to have called us and let us know but I think with the holidays she forgot or she just doesn't care enough to call but would wait until her next visit. If someone has the name, let us know.

Thanks

Old 11-30-2008, 10:06 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

The nurse could be talking about a transdermal patch which is used to deliver medication directly through the skin. One common example is nicotine patches. You will need to call your mother's doctor and see if there is an anti anxiety medication that is offered in a transdermal patch. I do know that medication for ADHD, pain, depression, hormone replacement, and smoking all come in transdermal patch form so I would bet there is something for anxiety. I have never heard of a topical oinment application of anti anxiety medication or a sedative. If there is such a product I would love to know about it. It would probably be quicker to call your Mom's physician or even check with your pharmacist to see what he would recommend than to wait on the nurse.

Please don't take any of your Mom's actions as personally directed towards you with any logic or rational. She is reacting to the distorted information that she is processing in a distorted way. She is not frustrated at you but at the chaos that is swirling in her head. It appears that she is generally anxious and aggitated rather than it being directed at one person.

I do understand the physician's hesitancy to put your Mom under general anesthesia. It does seem to accelerate the dementia. I also know the surgery she would need is not an easy surgery. Hopefully the medication will help. It is also possible that your Mom is striking out because she feels discomfort. It is so very obvious when my Mom doesn't feel well. She rarely says she is sick but her behavior becomes more dizzare. When she starts throwing wet clothes at the receptionist because she can't figure out how to use the dryer.... we check for medical problems! She either has a UTI, is constipated, or has a sinus infection. She doesn't know how to tell us what hurts or how she is feeling so she acts out until we figure it out.

Bowel obcessions are also rather common. They know they should go but don't remember going. Even if you KNOW they have gone they will swear they have not. I found this very common in the LTC facility I worked in and it has become a new problem with Mom recently. Excessive straining, trying to go when they don't need to, will cause problems with prolapse and hemorrhoids. Yet there is not much you can do when they think they have to go except give them stool softeners (which is probably what your mom has) and plenty of fluids. You will want to make sure that she does go regularly and that may not be every day, especially if she is eating less. But be aware if she stops going for several days in a row which may be a sign of impaction. You should notify the doctor if that does happen.

Welcome to the poop patrol as we call it. We are still having issues with Mom's obcession. I am ready for something different....

Love, deb

Closed Thread