It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2008, 05:06 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

polina HB Userpolina HB User
Mom's Medical Woes

It has been awhile since I have posted but I wanted to update everyone on Mom's medical condition. Six weeks ago I posted on how mom was in the hospital for a bone infection in her toe. Well, she came through that good. The foot and toe have healed great especially considering she is Diabetic. After her time in the hosptial they discharged her to a Rehab facility for Physical Therapy and after care. Well while she was in the hospital she went into Afib and had to be put on Coumadin which in turn has been difficult because she gets the Gi bleed. The rehab sent her back to the hosptial for Gi Bleed. They do a colonsocpy and get the bleed under control send her back to the Rehab.. We go through Thanksgiving . Actually Thanksgiving Day turned out to be a very nice day. Mom was doing pretty good Dad and I went in for Thanksgiving Dinner with her. A couple days after she starts with the CHF. So they sent her back to the hospital. The hospital cleared her and said she was ok and sent her back after only 4hours of evaluting her. Two days later she is having difficulty breathing. Rehab sends her back to the hospital. Unfortunately this time the EMT's decided she was so bad they detoured to a closer hospital en route to the hospital she always goes to. So she ends up in a whole new hosptial new doctor new everything finally after a day of that her regular cardioligist conversed with the doctor and had her transfered to her regular hospital. That is where she currantly is. She is experiencing CHF right now. She is in good spirits but totally confused but then again who wouldn't be with all that she has been through for the past six weeks. She has a pic line in her neck because they can't get lines in on her arms anymore. She is so thin and frail . She has been through one heck of a ride . I just worry if she does pull through all this what type of condition she is going to be in mentally. I know last year she had 7 admissions into the hospital each one set her back more and more with the Dementia.
Dad still insist that he wants her to come. Matter of fact he says that this time he is not going to let her be discharged to rehab he is going to insist she just come home. I understand him wanting her home but I also think how soon he forgets the challenge that lies ahead for him and myself when she does come home. I guess for now I will just take it day to day and see how she pulls through withis Chf. Today she was struggling a lot with her breathing. I will take it day by day.

Just wanted to update everyone on the lastest chain of events.
Love Pauline

Last edited by polina; 12-06-2008 at 05:08 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-06-2008, 05:41 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Martha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB User
Re: Mom's Medical Woes

Oh Pauline, what a shame your Mom has had to suffer so much, and you also. My Mom had congestive heart failure and was on medications for it for a few years, but then the NH doctor said the meds were not working any more. That was about 6 months before she passed away. My Mom was 99 so many things which work with younger patients were not possible at her age and in her condition. I felt she was under better care and supervision at the NH, because it is a round the clock 'watch' for a family caregiver, with no rest, no breaks. Of course she had dementia as well, and was therefore not able to remember taking medications, or doing anythng else that would be good for her health....

I wish you the strength to get through this time, and perhaps convince your Dad that Mom is better off in a place where 3 shifts of professional cergivers watch her day and night, not just him or you ...

Love,

Martha

Old 12-06-2008, 08:12 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User

Wow Pauline. You Mom and you have been though so much lately. I am truly sorry for all of her difficulties and hope she responds to treatement. All you can do is take it one day at a time and see where it leads you. Your Mom is evidently quiet the fighter

I know the blood thinner/GI bleed routine too well. We have been round that circle with Dad several times. He was in the hospital Nov 18 with AFib as well. We were lucky that his cardiologist showed up and he was the one that decided not to go the blood thinner route again. It is good that you have Mom moved to her regular hospital with her regular doctor. History is important and he will know better how to treat your Mom.

I am glad her toe and foot healed. It is difficult for a diabetic to heal so she did good with that. She came through the AFib and GI bleed as well. She's a tough one and hopefully will come through the CHF as well. Yes, all the moves and different medical conditions will take their tole on her mental status, it would us as well, but hopefully she will come back to a point that she is healthy and comfortable. At least she is in relatively good humor.

I can understand Dad's desire to bring her home but hopefully he will realise just how difficult this could be and at least give you both a respit with her in rehab.

Know I will keep you both in my thoughts and prayers.

love, deb

Old 12-06-2008, 08:53 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

Pauline,

How sorry I am that you and your dad are suffering so much with your Mom. I know how difficult it is for your Mom and your dad, not to mention you..as you are the only one who truly is seeing clearly these days..that is when you aren't so tired that your eyes aren't gritty!

Your poor father! He is just sure that once he gets your mother home she is going to improve and be back to the old Mom that he has always known. Poor souls-both of them. He is so desparatly hoping that somehow if he brings her home there is some magic dust that is going to sprinkle down from the sky and all is going to be well and perfect and YOU are going to be able to take care of her and we shall all follow the yellow brick road..uh huh.
The best place for you Mom is a NH where she will get 34/7 care which is what she is going to need after all the time she has had in the hospital. But I am glad that her toe has healed up. That's tough when you have diabetes..

Try and rest and hope that your father sees the light and know that we have you in our prayers....

Old 12-07-2008, 07:58 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

petal*pusher HB User

Mornin' Paulina...this it's just so difficult to see our parents suffer.......

Your Father wants to help so bad, and he believes having Mom home is the best answer...such a challenge!

With my FIL, the only way we were able to get help for MIL, was to make it "the Doctor's" suggestion to place her where she was the most safe and well taken care of. I've noticed that our parents generation have such a respect for what the doctors say...if it came from their mouth, it must be followed.

Thinking of you...none of this is easy..........Pam

Last edited by petal*pusher; 12-07-2008 at 02:55 PM.

Old 12-07-2008, 02:42 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User

thats all we can do is take it day by day. the medical conditions your mom has are so overwhelming. you sound pretty good and hope you come to a decision soon.

Old 12-07-2008, 05:01 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thank You all so much for your support through this difficult time. Mom is still struggling with the CHF. I thought by now she would have made some improvment. Yesterday and today she was having a great deal of trouble breathing. She is on IV to get the fluid off the heart. She was so glad to see Dad and I. I could see the look of fear in her eyes. She is very scared. Last year she was admitted numerous times throughout the year for the CHF but to be honest this is the worst I have seen her. Generally in a day or two I would have seen improvement but I am not seeing it this time. Although, she told Dad and I twice today through tears of fear that she wants to live. Those were the words we wanted to hear from her and we encouraged her to keep fighting. She is a very strong lady, that has been through so much over the years. She is also a fighter! Poor dad, just like you said Ibake he is so sure that if she could just come home she would be better. He thinks between him and I taking care of her we would be able to make everything better. I wish I could believe that!!! I would like to see her come home as well. She has been gone from the home now for 7 weeks. I just know that when she comes home she will have a period of having to decompress from all of this. After that like I have no idea how this has Affected her with the Dementia. Right now I just want to see her CHF get under control then we will take the next step. It is a step by step process. Thank you so much for all your responses. It made me feel good today to know that there were so many people pulling for mom !! Love to all of you, Pauline

Last edited by polina; 12-07-2008 at 05:04 PM.

Old 12-07-2008, 07:54 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

Pauline honey,

Make sure that you rest up and keep that knee under control. Your Mom needs you to be as strong as you can be so make sure that you don't let your own health suffer during this time. I know how hard it is, but you really have to take care of that leg first off. 'K?

Petal had a great idea, keep reminding the doctor that they best place for your mom is in a NH. Your father is of the generation that thinks that doctors are lips of god. I know that if I said that the doctor thought that__________ that was all I had to say...It was amazing. You might want to have a word with the doc

Know that we are all pullng for your Mom. Deb did the towels this week so they are nice and clean. Hang on tight and we will hold onto the other end for you, Don't let go, we have you safe and will help keep that leg up........

Old 12-07-2008, 09:26 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User

We are right here with you Pauline.... pulling for you Mom to turn the corner and begin to improve. You are right, it is one step at a time and one day at a time. In the mean time IBake is right again.... you have to take care of yourself. Make sure you are getting the rest you need. If you do take Mom home you are going to have your hands full and will need all the down time you can get before then. Take an hour or two tomorrow and do something especially nice for yourself. Your Mom would want you do to that. Then you can go back to see her refreshed.

I'm leaving a stack of clean towels here for you to hang on to. We have the other end and are pulling for you, your Mom, and your Dad. Keep us updated. I will keep you all in my thoughts and prayers....

Love, deb

Old 12-08-2008, 06:23 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks Deb,Ibake & everyone,
Mom just doesn't seem to be able kick this CHF thing. Today I got the call from the doctor that they had to move her to ICU. She is having difficulty breathing . When Dad went in this morning he said he found her having a really bad anxiety attack. It was from not being able to breath. He sat with her and rubbed her back and held her hand and got her calmed down. The doctor put her on Ativan for the Anxiety. Then this afternoon they moved her to ICU and have her on a bi pap for breathing. When I got there after work. She was asleep and seemed calmer and more restful. I just hope she can pull through this. I am going to try to lie down and get some sleep. I think tomorrow I may take off from work and go in with dad this is alot for him by himself. I think I need to support him through this.
I will keep all you dear friends posted. Hopefully tomorrow night at this time things will have truned the corner somewhat.

Love Pauline

Old 12-08-2008, 09:42 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hopefully tomorrow you will have better news. At least the doctor's are on top of her conditions and giving her the best care possible. I am sure your Dad would appreciate you being with him. It is difficult for all of you and being together might be good for you all. I am glad she had calmed down and was resting when you arrived. Hopefully you can get some rest yourself and be refreshed in the morning.

I will keep you all in my thoughts and prayers....

Love, deb

Closed Thread