It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2008, 04:15 PM   #1
(female)

cmon2008 HB User
Affects of antipsychotics

My mom was placed on Respridol three days ago because of the intense behaviors that she has been displaying since we moved her three weeks ago. I always thought it would take at least a couple of weeks for the meds to work. Maybe it's different with an AD brain. My mother has always loved to walk and was walking here, at my house, three weeks ago. She is barely able to stand up now. The careprovider at the home says it's her new meds. I knew that she would lose her walking eventually because of the disease process but she has gotten worse since we moved her and now it's being blamed on a med she started three days ago. Maybe so. Just wondered from those of you whose parents are on antipsychotics, how long did it take to see changes.

Thank you!

Old 12-07-2008, 05:55 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

DrewsG HB UserDrewsG HB UserDrewsG HB UserDrewsG HB User
Re: Affects of antipsychotics

My Mom went on Zyprexa two years ago. The only thing it did was to stop her hallucinations and hearing things that were not there. It also helps her sleep without sleeping pills. She fell during the night on sleeping pills. She is calmer and not so easy to have meltdowns.

We did not have any bad side effects other than gaining weight. Better gaining than being fraile like she was getting.

I'm not knowledgeable enough on other antipsychotics to advise you. But what you are describing does not sound normal at all.

I'm sure the others here will be able to advise you.
Good Luck to you and your Mother
Chris

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-07-2008, 09:19 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User

Most meds have some immediate effect but with many meds it will take a while to determine the full effect. Each drug has different side effects and each loved one reacts differently to the med..... but I will say that if mom is not walking because of an antipsychotic that she is on too much. Dad was on Risperdol for a while. It did not do what they wanted and they changed him to another medication but he walked the entire time.

If you do a web search on Risperdol it says not to be used for in psychotic conditions related to dementia. Evidently new research has show a connection between the use of this drug, heart failure and pneumonia. Sone of it's side effects is impaired thinking and reactions. It also recommends contacting your physician if you notice fever, stiff muscles, confusion, sweating, fast or uneven heartbeats, restless muscle movements in your face or neck, tremor (uncontrolled shaking), trouble swallowing, feeling light-headed, or fainting.

I would definitely have a discussion with your Mom's doctor on this one. Don't leave it to the caregiver.... talk to the doctor. Tell her doctor what you have seen and what the caregiver has said to you. Ask if a med change is warrented. The only way to know if it is the medication is to take her off the medication. If it is not the medication you need to know what is causing her to not walk. Share your concerns with the doctor because he/she is the one that has to approve any medication your Mom received at the facility. It is possible to control the behavior without zonking out the loved one. Both of my parents are on various behavior medications and are still functional and ambulatory. I do think you have reason to be concerned over this one....

Love, deb

Old 12-14-2008, 04:22 PM   #4
(female)

LeighAnn6 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmon2008 View Post
Just wondered from those of you whose parents are on antipsychotics, how long did it take to see changes.

Thank you!
Just responding to say that when we took 85 year old grandmother OFF the Risperidone (Risperdal) because we thought it unnecessary to be on except as needed--wow. She turned into a monster. She could do more, but what she did was yell and push at us and refuse to do most everything!

I researched the drug before asking the dr. about it and know that it seems to be ineffective for those with dementia, and yet...I think she needs it. Unless we can find another medication for the terrible moods, I don't know what else to do. I just wonder if her brain chemistry is such now that it mimics psychosis? I dunno.

There's so much weighing of pros and cons with this stuff. Good luck to you! I'd say if you can find another med or deal with the agitation, lose the Risperdal.

Closed Thread