It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2008, 05:22 PM   #1
(female)

Lookingout4Mom HB User
Uti?

Today my Mom told me her insides were coming out.

She said it has been going on for 2 weeks.

She said it is driving her nuts, it comes and goes, and she would not wish it on her worst enemy.
She said it feels like she is going to the bathroom but nothing comes out.
I took her to buy some panty liners in case it is incontinence.

Anyone else experience this from their LO?

She is 23/30 on her latest MMSE. Still wears pantyhose and loves to shop.

She appears to NOT be incontinent yet, although I do notice she has to go more often and she seems to hold it longer (forgets) and then needs to go ASAP. So far, no accidents.

I made the earliest Dr Appt for her and we go tomorrow.

I do not think she is hallucinating.

She is still to alert IMO
No other health problems...

Edited to add...
Today we went and did bank errands mailed her bills which she still writes out and went grocery shopping for her and she had a list. We also found new winter clothes for her and she was very pleased with them!

Last edited by Lookingout4Mom; 12-08-2008 at 05:36 PM.

Old 12-08-2008, 06:41 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunnydaze1 HB User
Re: Uti?

Sure sounds like a bladder infection...only because I've had several myself and I doubt I'm your mom's age.

Good luck at the doctor's office tomorrow. Just make sure she has a glass of water before you leave so she can give a good sample...don't worry; doctor should prescribe something even before the results are back. Let us know how the visit turned out.

Glad you and your mom got some shopping in!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-08-2008, 07:09 PM   #3
(male)

buckeye1 HB User

She could have a prolapse (dropping) of the uterus or rectum also, which can be intermittent and quite uncomfortable. Sounds like she needs a urinalysis and pelvic/rectal exams to see what is wrong.

Old 12-08-2008, 07:09 PM   #4
(female)

Lookingout4Mom HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnydaze1 View Post
Sure sounds like a bladder infection...only because I've had several myself and I doubt I'm your mom's age.

Good luck at the doctor's office tomorrow. Just make sure she has a glass of water before you leave so she can give a good sample...don't worry; doctor should prescribe something even before the results are back. Let us know how the visit turned out.

Glad you and your mom got some shopping in!
Yes. She is a Macy's Girl and she can shop 7 stores in 1 day, including Costco!

She is a real trooper, very happy except for this new development. Mom will be 66 in January.

Old 12-08-2008, 09:36 PM   #5
(female)

Lookingout4Mom HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeye1 View Post
She could have a prolapse (dropping) of the uterus or rectum also, which can be intermittent and quite uncomfortable. Sounds like she needs a urinalysis and pelvic/rectal exams to see what is wrong.
WOW! Never heard of what you are DXing!

However. I will let her Dr know of this DX.

Thank you very much...

From my Loving and very much loved Mother

Old 12-08-2008, 09:37 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User

Definitely sounds like a UTI. Mom complained of constipation. Dad said that something was going on in her stomach and I needed to get it out. She was miserable.... and it was diagnosed as a UIT and she is now on antibiotics. So that would definitely be the first thing I had checked. This is one of those situations when you really do hope it is a UTI because it is usually easy to correct with antibiotics. Good luck at the doctor's tomorrow and hope you find out what is going on with her so she can start on the road to recovery

I will keep you both in my thoughts and prayers

Love, deb

Old 12-08-2008, 09:43 PM   #7
(female)

Lookingout4Mom HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGabriel10 View Post
Definitely sounds like a UTI. Mom complained of constipation. Dad said that something was going on in her stomach and I needed to get it out. She was miserable.... and it was diagnosed as a UIT and she is now on antibiotics. So that would definitely be the first thing I had checked. This is one of those situations when you really do hope it is a UTI because it is usually easy to correct with antibiotics. Good luck at the doctor's tomorrow and hope you find out what is going on with her so she can start on the road to recovery

I will keep you both in my thoughts and prayers

Love, deb

Thank you Deb,

I am hoping this is the problem...

We shall see...

Old 12-10-2008, 08:56 PM   #8
(female)

Lookingout4Mom HB User

Well, It turned out that it she has a Yeast Infection. The Dr tested her for UTI, and she had a little bacteria in her urine.

She is taking meds and cream now to cure it. One reason is she has been sleeping in her Pantyhose. (Lives Alone)

She cannot live alone anymore.

We are currently planning to move her in with us and then see if she likes any of the AL around here. We have room for her here, her stuff we will put in storage less than a mile away.
She has so much stuff, but she is willing to donate a lot of it.
Her condo will be put up for sale.

I already spoke with her Elder Law Attorney about this plan and she approved of it. Says it is the right thing to do.

Mom thinks she is going to sell her 2 story condo to "downsize". I even found a picture of a home for sale, a condo, near my home she likes it. However, I know my Mom knows she needs a little help. She is probably in 4-5 stages now. She turns 66 next month.

So, I am going to be busy the next several weeks.

I got a Realtor for her old place, I have a person I trust going to help declutter, and I am working on getting a room with her own bathroom ready in our house. Need to move some stuff and seal a door that leads to the garage, well, maybe that can wait...

Also, I found a caregiver, for when we are at work. My DH has been off work on Worker's Comp, even injured he is spending 3 days a week with her.

Old 12-11-2008, 12:22 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User

Glad you found a medical reason for her distress. It's amazing what a yeast infection, UTI, or constipation can do to our older loved ones.

Also glad you finally made the decision that she should not be alone. It does sound like it is time for her to make a move and it is good that she is going along with it.... for now. I tend to add "for now" to everything I say or think lately because life can change in an instant

You will be busy but you are doing the right thing. I do hope it works out with her living with you. Just be aware that it can be overwhelming especially if she starts wandering at night. It's difficult to work all day and all night too.

You are doing good things!! Hope the move goes smoothly and the yeasties go away!!

Love, deb

Old 12-11-2008, 07:24 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

One small thing,

Seal the door to the garage NOW before she moves in. You don't want to have to worry about her being able to get into the garage at night. Better to have that worry not a worry. It's amazing how quickly a little thing like that can become a large issue. Even if it's just a dead bolt from the garage side of the door. You just need to be sure that she can't open that door from her side.

I'm glad that it was an UTI. They really do strange things to our olders folk. Good luck with the move. It's the right thing for you to do now. She can't live alone and this is the right start for all of you.

Old 12-11-2008, 08:08 PM   #11
(female)

Lookingout4Mom HB User

For Now, for now, just for today... I like that, can I adopt it???

The door leading to the garage is in a room that DH wants to move us into it and have her room next door which is across from the full bathroom. Her bedroom will be in the middle of the house, no outside doors.

He thinks the bathroom in the bedroom will be too small for her and all of her cosmetics.

Anyways, we will Toddler Proof the house and she will be alright.

Oh and when I called her this morning, I told her today was a lounge day...no pantyhose.

She said OK and that she was feeling better.

And tonight I called her and she told me basically to bug off and stop calling her every 5 minutes.

Feeling Better!

Old 12-11-2008, 08:26 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

I'll will give you a bucket full of "for now" and another bucket full of "for the moment".... that is as far as I expect anything to last in this disease.

So did you laugh when Mom told you to bug off? I would have

I am glad you and your Mom are feeling better. Let's hope it stays that way for a while.... or at least for now

Love, deb

Closed Thread