It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2008, 05:48 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User
Poop question (sorry)

I know everyone's poop smells, but my MIL's is ridiculous. The entire downstairs smells when she goes. It about knocks me out! I can get rid of the smell, thanks to those here who told me about Odoban, but I'm wondering if the powerful smell indicates that her system isn't working right anymore. Is this common with Alzheimer's patients? Have others here experienced this with their loved ones with this disease? Is there anything I can do to help? My husband told me to get her some acidopholus yogurt. I'll give it a try, but if her system isn't working properly, I doubt it will make any difference.

If you have any insights, I'd appreciate them!

Thanks,
Emily

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-09-2008, 06:49 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Martha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB User
Re: Poop question (sorry)

OK, I know it's an embarrassing qustion. My answer is also embarrasing ...

In our case, I don't believe Mom's poop smelled any worse than everyone else's. But all of hers did not disappear down the toilet as ours does --- she was unable or forgot how to wipe, and left traces or even larger pieces of it in her underwear. That stank up the air everywhere within a few feet of her. Then I had the misearble task of convincing her that she smelled bad and against her protests cleaning her up and getting fresh clothes on her.

Later she forgot how to wipe at all and stood up with some poop not yet fully inside the toilet. It landed on the floor, and she walked in it. This stank up the house even more.

It was one of the thngs that drove me half insane and eventually led to my brother taking her in, and soon after that, the nursing home ...

So I am not sure if your MIL's poo smells worse or if it is just 'hanging around' where it can be smelled ...

Love,

Martha

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-09-2008, 09:32 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User

The only things I know that can help is to eat more fiber, drink butter milk and eat yogurt, and eat less meat (animal fat). Fast foods and processed foods tend to have more odor than fresh foods. Gut flora produces sulfur containing compounds and that is what you smell. The larger the percentage of vegetables in your diet the less odor there will be.

For most of us it goes straight into the toilet, we wipe quickly and make sure the paper submerged, then we flush. As Martha said, if she is not cleaning properly or leaving fecal matter out of the water it will have more time to create more smell.

Otherwise she may be having gas. It just goes straigh into the air. You might want to ask the doctor to suggest something to reduce the gasiness. The odor of the gas, like the feces, is dependent on the diet and the amount of sulfur containing compounds contained there in.

The things we discuss

Love, deb

Old 12-10-2008, 10:12 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

The only other thing would be if she had CDIF. That would be causing the horrendous odor. Cdif causes the stools to have a nasty odor..but I doubt that she has that. I picked it up in the hospital when I had my back surgery and it took a round of antibiotics to get rid of it. But it does cause the stools to be hard to get rid of, with a distinctly nasty odor, a very gritty feel to them...do I hafta say more?

Old 12-11-2008, 11:27 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User

Thanks! I'll try giving her yogurt for a while and see if it makes any difference. We don't do much red meat or fast food and stick to the high fiber stuff already, but maybe adding some extra fruit would also help.

I knew you ladies would understand!

Thanks!
Emily

Closed Thread