It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2008, 07:00 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User
Walker wheelchair saga continues

The walker saga continues. I got an e-mail tonight stating that PT had discontinued Dad's walker training. He just can't learn to use it. I actually laughed. This is a man in his 8th year, or is it 9?, with Vascular Dementia and they are going to teach hime what? I told them 5 weeks ago that he walks with a mission and they were not going to slow him down.

In the mean time we found out that the walker was purchased not rented. Why would a facility buy a walker when they didn't know if the patient could use it? So my sister has a new walker, used maybe 15 times for 15 minutes each... it only has 3.25 hours on it..... in her attic!!!

At least the wheel chair was rented!!! It is back in PT again and Dad walked, though it be slow and a little stumbly, to the dining room. Wonder how long before it will be back in the room

Love, Deb

Old 12-17-2008, 08:57 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

caringsister54 HB Usercaringsister54 HB Usercaringsister54 HB Usercaringsister54 HB Usercaringsister54 HB User
Re: Walker wheelchair saga continues

Make yourself feel better about the waste of the walker and possibly donate it.

But you know unfortunately that one day he'll may have need of it so I guess it's smart to just put it in the attic.

I purchased one for my mother. Sister didn't like it because it wasn't one with the seat. However mother keeps grabbing at her legs, Sister interprets it that she's trying to tell me she doesn't need it because she has legs.

Whatever! Can't do anything right. Oh well.

I said that I wasn't taking it back -- I mean I bought it when Mom fell once a few months ago, since then she's fallen twice more. But now that she's off meds it may be better. I told Sister that she may want to talk with Doc about giving Mom a little Bendadryl so that she can get some more long-term sleep. The sedative is only keeping Mom asleep for about 2 hours tops then she's up to go to the bathroom, one of a few times each night.

I think Sister would fare better if she was able to get less interrupted periods of sleep.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-17-2008, 10:21 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User

Dad probably needs the walker for stabilization but he has always walked like he was going to a fire and at 88 years old he is not going to change that. The walker only presents a constant obstacle. I understand the danger. My FIL fell over his walker and broke his neck resulting in him being in a halo brace for over 6 months. I don't want anything close to that happening to Dad. He is still a fall risk but at least he will fall down and not over something. We will hang onto it. With the huge family we have somebody will eventually need it.

You sister will do better with uninterrupted sleep. Without it you end up with sleep deprivation and that can effect you mentally and physically. It fogs your brain, effects your heart, your metabolism, and on and on. Your Mom's doctor can recommend something different if what she is on is not working. We have the opposite problem with Dad. He sleeps 13 or more hours at night. Mom is going to be out night wanderer!!

Love, deb

Old 12-18-2008, 07:09 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

DrewsG HB UserDrewsG HB UserDrewsG HB UserDrewsG HB User

Hi deb, I had to smile at the walker story. In our family I have the largest storage room available in our basement. The list is getting VERY long.

2 bedside potties.......One was Grams, never used. One was Moms used a little
2 walkers..............One Grams. One was Moms.
1 quad-cane
3 canes........of various sizes and shapes
1 large lift chair..................Grams. Expensive one. We got Mom a smaller one to fit in her small living room.

We are going to donate some of these things but we never know right now if we may need these things as Mom is getting weaker. You know a pottie for each of us to take care of her for short periods.
My son ask me if we were planning on starting our own "assisted living" facility??
I guess we'll keep the chair. Never know when I may need the stupid thing with these bad knees of mine. They are better. Thank God. Just planning ahead.
Not much to say about Mom. Heartache, I guess can best describe what is happening with my sisters and myself right now. She just doesn't know anything. I want to run away really. Take Mom and hide. Doesn't make much sense does it?
The stomach flu was going around Moms AL facility. Weeeeell guess who got it??? Me of course. OMG!!!!!! 4 days of misery. Fever, chills and you can guess the rest. We have kept Mom in her room. So far so good. One of us has to be there everyday. She can't take care of anything for herself. I 'm serious................NOTHING.
My sisters took over everything while I've been ill. Mom is so sweet and clueless. Just don't try to give her a shower. LOL
Love to all
Chris

Old 12-18-2008, 09:13 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

We are keeping the walker for now just because we don't know if we will need it later. They suggested a lift chair for Dad but I truly don't think he would ever remember to use it. So instead Sister 3's hubby made a set of blocks to elevate his chair to the best position for him to get up. We had the PT people come measure him and and their and give us their recommendation. It had truly made a big difference in how well he rises from the chair. That was how he fell a couple of times and there have been no falls getting up since.

We never had "devices" with Nannie. She went from ambulatory to bed ridden by way of the hospital and a blood infection. Knowing my Dad, I truly wondered to start with about the walker and not sure why the facility chose to purchase one instead of renting one, until they knew if he would be able to use it. At least the wheel chair is rented. I had to laugh. Sister 3 works at a local hospital. They "wonder where their wheel chairs go". The wheel chair that was rented from a local medical supply actually had a hospital sticker on it. She laughed!!!!

Mom is up and down right now with ok days and not so good days. The melt downs are not as frequent, as intense, or as lengthy but they are still more than they should be. My main problem is still Sister 4. She is not appreciated enough, doesn't get enough sympathy, we don't help her enough, we don't support her enough... but it's not about her Yet when I requested something to do with the financials that I do.... she told me that sounded like a personal problem and I needed to get over it!!! I just shake my head and let it go in one ear and out the other. I do the best I can do and continue being myself It didn't help when Mom praised me and my daughter while trshing other family members. Sister 4 had just had a major disagreement with my daughter and called me after I found out what Mom said to be sure I knew my daughter was not all that and a bag of chips.... and I wasn't either! Yes, Mom defended her child!!! What a surprised there hehe. Besides, who would react that intensely to a statement made by an ALZ loved one in the throws of a melt down? It not funny but you have to shake your head and laugh at the absurdity!!!! So give me Mom... she is easier to deal with

Love, deb

PS... Drew... I am truly glad your knees are getting better and hope you have a wonderful Christmas

Last edited by Gabriel; 12-18-2008 at 09:14 AM.

Closed Thread