It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2008, 11:32 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Martha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB User
laughter and tears

I just got a wonderful present from my cousin in NC who visited Mom the summer before Mom died, and after all that driving was not recognized by her Aunt.

She sent me a copy of a tape she made in 1985. Her son was in school then, and he had an assignment to find out how people lived in other countries and in earlier times, so he interviewed his grandparents and his 2 great aunts, one of them my Mom.

It is tragic because all the participants except my 95 year old Aunt have passed on, including the little boy - who died at age 30 of a ruptured appendix. The tape caused me tears, and also laughter.

On the tape you hear the boy asking his grandparents and aunts questions about their childhood in Europe, how they got to America; a few songs are sung and jokes told. I clearly hear my Mom laughing and joking and singing as she did all through her life. This tape is a precious memory to me.

I encourage all of you whose loved one can still tell stories about his/her childhood, earlier times, how things used to be done, and how things have changed to tape it now before all their memories are gone.

It was interesting that they talked about having an orange and some nuts as a once a year only gift at Christmas. And one electric light bulb in the house, no other appliances. And no shoes from April to October, one room schoolhouses, etc.

I will treasure this gift forever.

Love and happy holidays to all.

Martha

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-20-2008, 11:53 AM   #2
(female)

mentalmum08 HB User
Re: laughter and tears

Thankyou for sharing your experience. I found it sad that the boy died at age 30 of a ruptured appendix. It makes you wonder what we've lost in more ways than one.

xx mentalmum

Last edited by mentalmum08; 12-20-2008 at 11:54 AM. Reason: mistake

Old 12-20-2008, 02:47 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

DrewsG HB UserDrewsG HB UserDrewsG HB UserDrewsG HB User

What a wonderful gift to you. How thoughtful of your cousin to send it along.
I'm sure its priceless. From the stories you have told us about your Mom I feel I know her somehow.

She must have been some kind of lady. Thank you for sharing.

Love, Chris

Old 12-20-2008, 05:50 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Martha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB User

I'm going to play the tape when I have my usual post church get together on Christmas Eve. My one son will be here, and my daughter, her boys, husband and in laws. Then I have to figure out how to make a copy for my brother in NY.

Yes it was a sad thing that my cousin lost her only child due to a botched appendectomy; this was maybe 4 or 5 years ago. She is a wonderful believer and has a firm faith that she will meet him again. It is lovely to hear his childish voice on this tape. He must have been around 8 years old when it was made. My cousin was a single mother, and that made it so much harder.

I am so glad she took the time to go and see my mother when she was in the NH with Dementia.

Mom was a rare person. Last year at this time she passed away .. on the 29th.

Love,

Martha

Old 12-20-2008, 08:10 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User

That is something you will treasure forever Martha. I am so glad your cousin sent it on to you. I have a tape of my Mom having a conversation with Dad about his life. She did it for the girls when it was obvious that he had dementia. Little did she know it would be a treasure for us because both of them are on it.

I agree with Chris. I have hears so much of your wonderful mother that I feel, in some way, that I know her as well. She was an amazing lady. Cherish every little piece you have of her. I also see much of her in your.

I do hope you have a wonderful Christmas Celebration and all enjoy hearing the laughter of your Mom once again....

Love, Deb

Old 12-21-2008, 07:50 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

petal*pusher HB User

Martha....thank you for sharing these wonderful memories!

Most of our posts here discuss our loved ones tangled minds...and reflections of "who that person used to be". What a wonderful gift has been shared with you! A personal reminder of two loved ones...and fond memories of times gone by................I love your idea of sharing with other family members! Pam

Old 12-22-2008, 08:26 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

Martha, I'm so glad that this tape came for you. This will be a hard Chirstmas for you,won't it? I know how difficult last year was for me. This year is just slightly better. This holidays are so bitter sweet.

I have always been the one with 60 dozen cookies in the house-even though i work full time. I haven't even made one single bar or cookie. I miss being able to hear their voices-even if they didn't make any sense. I miss being able to bake what they liked. I suppose it gets easier every year, but I'm yet to see it happening...

So Martha, hang tight to that tape and enjoy the sound of your Mamma's laughter. Live with the memories of the joy and laughter that you had. It is a gift that was given to you.

An audio house should be able to transfer it to another tape for your son.

Closed Thread