It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2008, 11:33 AM   #1
(male)

Merlon HB User
Medication

1st time post.
My father was recently diagnosed with ALZ. Prescribed Razadyne and Namenda. Does not seem to be following the prescription dosing. I live out of state. I have been calling him daily to remind him to take both pills. He only seems to take one or the other. His wife is with him, but she is also frail, and does not listen to her when she asks him to take both pills. She does not have ALZ, but is not always physically next to him when he takes the medication. I ask him to take one or the other of the pills while I am on the phone, so I can hear him swallow. Any thoughts on this problem? I am concerned that he is not following the regimen.

Old 12-20-2008, 11:37 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Martha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB User
Re: Medication

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlon View Post
1st time post.
My father was recently diagnosed with ALZ. Prescribed Razadyne and Namenda. Does not seem to be following the prescription dosing. I live out of state. I have been calling him daily to remind him to take both pills. He only seems to take one or the other. His wife is with him, but she is also frail, and does not listen to her when she asks him to take both pills. She does not have ALZ, but is not always physically next to him when he takes the medication. I ask him to take one or the other of the pills while I am on the phone, so I can hear him swallow. Any thoughts on this problem? I am concerned that he is not following the regimen.
It would be so much better if he and his wife could go to live in an assisted living facility. There someone will make sure he gets the meds he needs. He probably cannot manage it any more. Alzheimers takes away the logical thinking needed to take drugs on a regular basis. My Mom either forgot them entirely or took 3 or 4 days worth at once.

Sorry you are having this problem. I hope a solution can be found.

Love,

Martha

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-20-2008, 01:14 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

DrewsG HB UserDrewsG HB UserDrewsG HB UserDrewsG HB User

I totally agree with Martha. Soon your father will need more help. My mother did the exact thing with her meds. She has been in Assisted Living for the past two years. She should have been there much sooner.

He will resist this solution of course. Its only going to get worse. Mom is well cared for at her place. She loves it there. It was the best thing we ever did for ourselves and Mom.

My best to you also. There is no easy answer. Only hard decisions to make.
Chris

Old 12-20-2008, 02:35 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

css1 HB User

did they tell you what stage he is in?

do you trust the doctors?

did your father get a brain scan?

have you talked to the doctors?

fwiw, i decided to go with a home health care worker service, so meds were taken and meals were eaten......................older folks tend to not eat enough which worsens all problems..............

i now live across the street from my mother, who lives with my 96 yr old gram who is still kicking it pretty good, a bona fide pistol with only short term memory issues

the home health care worker comes from 10 am - 2 pm, fixes coffee, gets em a muffin, gives them there meds, then takes them out into the world 3-4 times a week, shopping or going too lunch, then they fiddle around for 3-4 hours and i check on them in evening, and do it on the weekends

a good home health care worker runs 20 an hour, sometimes it is covered by insurance

being far away is going to have different ups and downs, do you have family or relatives, or good friends near by them

Old 12-20-2008, 08:31 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User

your Dad is probably not taking the pills as prescribed. He will take one today, none tomorrow, and three the next day. He will take one and not the other and then take two of the other for a while. I had this problem consistently with mom and dad when they were at home.

You can try a pill dosage dispenser. A little plastic box with a line. Have somebody put the pills in the dispenser on the day and time he should take them. That does make it a little easier in the early stages. At least that way somebody can tell if he is taking the pills he should by how many are still in the dosage dispenser. You may be surprised what you find. We were!!!

The best solution is to have somebody actually give him the pills and be sure he takes them, whether it be a part time home health nurse, care giver, or assisted living med tech.

Just know your situation is not going to get any better. If he is not able to take his own meds now, there are other things he can not do either.... like call an ambulance if your Mom should have an emergency. Those types of emergency situations are when their cognitive abilities show their true colors.

I hate you had to find us but glad you are here. Let us know what solutions your try and I wish you the best.

BTW... be sure you have a durable POA for both of your parents, medical directive/medical POA/living wills for both, make sure your name is on all acounts, and you are on their doctor's hippa form. This will make life easier for you in the future because you will be able to handle their financial and medical needs.... Without out, what a nightmare!!

Love, deb

Old 12-22-2008, 11:04 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

caringsister54 HB Usercaringsister54 HB Usercaringsister54 HB Usercaringsister54 HB Usercaringsister54 HB User

To all of you who already know.

Sister hasn't been giving mother the aricept and numenda anymore. Simply because right now she has to try to get a sedative in her at night for sleeping and feels those medicines causes her brain to go into warp-drive and she wouldn't go to sleep.

Also mother is taking an antibiotic for a toe infection (in-grown nail) and that is a battle in itself. (why do they make those pills so big???)

Anyway. Its been more than a week and what a change in Mom. She's more amendable to things. She still fights particularly about food she doesn't want to eat or when it comes to soaking and cleaning her feet, but for the most part, the yelling next door is much more reduced.

Also I find that when I look at my mother, I truly see her looking back but she may not be able to articulate it. Sister also said mother is saying more spontaneous clear English than before, but of course, each time its fleeting and she's right back to the sounds.

So that's it folks. A difference in the person who was taking it and isn't taking it now. I know some of you were going to be curious with the results we would see.

Old 12-22-2008, 12:05 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

DrewsG HB UserDrewsG HB UserDrewsG HB UserDrewsG HB User

Thank you Caring. I've been very interested in her response. Those meds just made Mom so much worse. She was like a crazy person.

I thought maybe I did the wrong thing a few years back by taking her off of them. I think, for my Mom, it was the right decision.

Love Chris

Old 01-01-2009, 09:38 AM   #8
(male)

Merlon HB User

To those who have responded to my post:
I checked on my father over Christmas. He seems to be taking the pills as prescribed, even without my prompting. I think he just needed to get into the routine.
I do trust the doctors, he was just diagnosed in September, don't know what stage he is in. He seems OK, generally, has little lapses of memory. They seem to be eating well, and taking care of their house. I will keep everyone up to date. Thanks all.

Closed Thread