It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2008, 05:49 PM   #1
(female)

QuestionsALot HB User
Turmeric/Cucumin

Anyone trying this for AD? Mom was on Exelon (worked, up to a point) and Namenda (really knocked her out), both were stopped a few years ago. Mom's been getting turmeric 800 mg/95% curcumin once a day for a month, with a little improvement. Has anyone else been taking this? How much per day, how many times a day (once? twice?), and for how long? Her doctors have pretty much given up on her, and seem surprised every time we show up for a routine checkup (her primary doctor's very supportive, though he's not very knowledgable on alternative medicine).

Old 12-27-2008, 07:27 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User
Re: Turmeric/Cucumin

I have no direct knowledge of this treatment for ALZ or the dosages that should be given. Of all the remedies my Mom tried that was not one of them because that is one spice she does not enjoy. I do know it is based on the fact that there is a smaller percentage of people with dementia in countries that have a high usage of curcumin in their diet. I also konw that it is not easily digested unless it is taken with food so there are questions of the validity of curcumin pills vs foods cooked with curcumin. Large doses can also be hard on the liver and there are some medications who's effectiveness can be affected by the spice. I would suggest finding an alternative medicine doctor or do an extensive web search to have your questions answered about dosage and potential.

Welcome to the board! I am sorry to hear about your mom. I am glad she is doing better than expected for whatever reason...

Love, deb

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-27-2008, 09:33 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

petal*pusher HB User

WOW! Such an interesting post! Like Deb, I quickly researched the link between this delicious spice and Alzheimer's! I found nothing negative about its use and am interested in looking into it more.

I'm really old to realize that EVERYTHING a person needs to survive is growing on this planet! Shelter, food, clothing, medicines...and even beauty is right here.

Heart meds originated from digitalis (foxglove)...aspirin in willow...most of our medicines came from experimentation...and many are very successful.

Thanks for giving this info to ponder! (And welcome...post often!).....Pam

Old 12-27-2008, 10:33 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

dorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB User

Tumeric is well known to calm down inflammation? In capsule form they are very expensive around here but apparently you can buy tumeric in a spice bulk store for pennies and fill your own capsules, problem is you wouldn't know just how much you are giving her in milligrams? Perhaps a culinary amount is safe as long as any interactions with other medications are ruled out.

Closed Thread