It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2008, 06:50 AM   #1
(female)

marypar HB User
PRI & application process re: Nursing Home

I visited the nursing home I would like my mom to eventually get into. The admissions person told me the first thing they would need is a PRI (Patient Review Instrument) and if mom is still home the nurse would come to the house. I was given the phone number of a nurse who is certified to do this four page form. I guess if she is in the hospital they would do it there. But she is still living with family.

My questions: can I get my mom's geriatric doctor's office to do the form? Is it free? and how long it is good for (i.e., can I get it done now for the future?).

They didn't mention any application form but would I need a lawyer to go over the application form and PRI before I sign anything?

Thanks again.
maryann

Old 12-29-2008, 09:54 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User
Re: PRI & application process re: Nursing Home

I assume your PRI is equivalent to our FL2 which is nothing more than the doctor's assessment of the care level needed by the patient. Here the attending physician completes them or at least has to sign off on them. There was a nominal charge to complete the paper work and here they are only good for a short time (I think a month) because conditions change so rapidly. There is no need for a lawyer to get this particular paper work done. Mom and Dad's were actually done a couple of days before they moved into the facility by their new doctor. She also did a physical and it was all included in the charge we got which was paid by mom and Dad's insurance.

If there is a contract with the care facility you might want a lawyer to look over it just for your own peace of mind. When it comes to application for medicaid you would absolutely want a lawyer's help with that.

Good for you in taking that first difficult step. I know it is not easy!

Love, deb

Last edited by Gabriel; 12-29-2008 at 09:55 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-30-2008, 08:19 AM   #3
(female)

gjg HB User
Re: PRI & application process re: Nursing Home

I live in New York and the PRI was done by the visiting nurse. The cost was $150.00, it wasn't covered by insurance. You need the PRI when you submit the applications, they wouldn't accept my applications without it. I didn't have a lawyer for this process but I did for the agreement with the nursing home.

Gloria

Closed Thread