It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2008, 04:08 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

caringsister54 HB Usercaringsister54 HB Usercaringsister54 HB Usercaringsister54 HB Usercaringsister54 HB User
okay follow up on some things

first for those of you interested. There is marked difference in Mother since she no longer takes the medication -- Aricept and Numenda. First off, she's saying more 'English" words than jibberish. She's quieter.

Second, she seems to be more aware of what is going on around her and doesn't seem to freak out as often with the TV and stuff.

Third, sister said that she doesn't seem to be waking up as often during the night. She's actually taking cat naps during the day something that just wasn't happening before.

And for those that know I don't usually do care with Mother, you will be proud of me (I hope)

Today sister had me take Mom to doctor for a checkup on a toe infection from ingrown nail. Sister was sick with a sore throat and wanted to go to her doctor. When I asked her where do I go, who is the doctor and what am I to say to the doctor, she said "tell him I'm done with the antibiotic and that the toe is still infected. I think he's going to take the nail off today!, I said, "no that can't happen because I can't control Mom" and She sounded exasperated with me and said "okay, I'll cancel my doctor's appt and come with you". She seemed upset with me. I told her to go to her doctors and I'll worry about Mom because if the nail has to come off, then it'll have to be done in a hospital setting without us because neither one of us would be able to control or hold her down while its being done.

I started having a panic attack. I know inside me that its because of all I went through with Mikey's illness before he died in my living room but I truly don't think I'm capable but the end result was I got sick over nothing. It took me longer to park the car then it did for the actual review of her toe. End of story is he said that the toe is no longer infected and that everything is fine. Sister is relieved, she was thinking Mom would lose her toe.

Basically I just wanted to let everyone know how mother is doing off of the medicine with the exception of the sedative Sister gives her at night. She still may not always know who I am but she's at least better during the day.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-29-2008, 07:31 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

polina HB Userpolina HB User
Re: okay follow up on some things

We took Mom off the Aricept a couple of weeks ago. It wasn't a conscious decison. What happened was I went to pick up the refill from the pharmacy and the price was $185.00 for a month's supply. It is because according to her RX plan she is in what is called the donut hole right now. So she is paying more for her prescriptions. Well, I decided they could keep the Aricept for that price as I really don't believe it is beneficial to her at this point. I am not sure if it is a coincindence or not but, mom is much calmer not as agitated or angry and hostile like she was all summer. She was constantly lashing out at Dad and I. These days she is so much more calmer. It could be because of not taking the Aricept not sure but I really think so.

Love Pauline

Old 12-29-2008, 10:47 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User

You gals are constantly feeding my intuition about these meds and my Mom. I was unable to contact Mom's doctor when I was there before Chrsitmas. She was not in the facility when I was there and the rest of the time I was overwhelmed with cooking for 24 people and taking Mom and Dad to three functions in three days. It IS on my agenda the next time I go and I will go during the week to make sure I have an opportunity to talk to her. There are too many with "coincidences" here of Mom improving without the meds for there not to be some connection.

Caring.... I am so very proud of you for taking your Mom to the doctor. I do understand why you would be fearful of taking on such responsibilities again but you did great. I am so very glad your Mom's toe is doing better and she will be ok. Just keep doing what you are doing. I am sure your Sister appreciates your help and it is good for you as well

Love, deb

Old 12-30-2008, 11:05 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

Caring,

You go girl! Isn't it amazing what you can do when you have to? You really have the ability to do these things you know. I am so proud of you., I feel like a mother duck who's baby duckling has just learned to paddle alone! You have conquered another fear..and you helped your sister and mother to boot! Every journey starts with a single step. And you took one after another and handled a hospital setting, your mother ALONE. AMAZING!

Not only have you stepped forward to help your sister, but you are reconnecting with your mother (whether she wants it or not), you faced a fear), managed your mother alone. This from someone who just a few months ago only wanted some information for her sister. I am so impressed with how far you have evolved with caring and sharing.. it reminds me of the saying I have over my head at work...

"What do we live for, if it is not to make life less difficult for others?"

You rock girl!

Closed Thread