It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2009, 02:57 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

caringsister54 HB Usercaringsister54 HB Usercaringsister54 HB Usercaringsister54 HB Usercaringsister54 HB User
Need Help regarding UTI's

My Sister has had a harder time with Mother this week.

I keep reading all the posts that allude to UTI's but wanted to know something.

Is there any testing that could be done at home to know if Mother has a UTI?
Visiting nurse said she knows of no 'testing strips' or anything. It would difficult for us to get a urine sample since mother sits with legs tightly closed and yells when put on the toilet. Sister says that going to the bathroom scares her and causes her pain so she hates to go.

Yet Mother is too difficult to keep bundling her up and get her to a doctor's office.

Is that what is necessary each and every time??

Going to the bathroom more than normal isn't any indication either since Mother goes about every hour. Mother suffers from prolapsed colon and hemorroids so she feels she has to go all the time and does.

Need help from my friends known and unknown

CaringSister54

Old 01-14-2009, 06:16 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

DrewsG HB UserDrewsG HB UserDrewsG HB UserDrewsG HB User
Re: Need Help regarding UTI's

Good Morning Caring,
You are in pickle aren't you? I understand the difficulty in getting them to a Dr. Sometimes its just impossible. Mom has been that way a few times. I just couldn't get her there. Since she has a history of UTI's I called the Dr. and told them I was possitive that Mom had one and he sent medicine without testing her. She was so much better in two days. Mom now stays on a small dose of this medicine and the UTI's have stopped for the most part. I'm sorry I can't recall the name. I'm sure someone here can recall what meds work best.

Do you know her Dr? Does sister know him or her well enough that they might do this? I just explained the sudden change in her behavior and confusion. I'm so sorry. UtI's are demons. Thats all I can come up with as far as helping you Caring. Maybe another friend has a better suggestion.

Good Luck and I'll be hoping and thinking of you.
Love Chris

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-14-2009, 07:03 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

Diane,

The best bet would be to get the liner that sit under the toliet seat so that when Mom goes you get a clean catch. That way you can get a sample for testing. If sister has it in place before Mom sits down she shouldn't notice it-and if sister keeps her mouth shut!

Does Mom drink sufficient amount of fluid to help keep her well hydrated? She should be on cranberry juice. This is good for those bodies...

I don't know if it's going to the bathroom or if it's sister's way of her going to the bathroom that is scaring your Mom.....

How are you feeling?

Old 01-14-2009, 08:44 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User

I was thinking the same thing. It's like a little plastic pot that sits on the frame above the water. You can probably find one in a durable medical supply store. If not, ask her doctor. They've probably dealt with this before and may be able to provide you with one.

Wishing you the best,
Emily

Old 01-14-2009, 10:17 AM   #5
(female)

smarkin HB User

Yes' they have testing strips for uti--just ask at drug store.Good luck!!

Old 01-14-2009, 10:23 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

DrewsG HB UserDrewsG HB UserDrewsG HB UserDrewsG HB User

We've always called this plastic thing a "hat". Thats what the nurses called it at the hospital. But if Mom won't sit down on a toilet I'm not sure how your going to get a sample. Moms visiting nurse brought one with her. We had to get an order from the Dr. to do the test

ibakes idea is something to think about. Maybe someone else can take her to the bathroom? Maybe she won't fight them as much?

I hope you can figure something out. Good Luck
Love Chris

Old 01-14-2009, 10:14 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User

Yes, they are called Hats by medical professionals because if you turn them upside down they look like a hat. They fit under the toilet seat to catch the urine. You will need to get a sample container from the doctor or drug store as well. Most doctors will test the urine for you if you take it in and tell them you suspect a UTI. If it shows up positive they will give you an antibiotic.

The best predictor of a UTI is bizzare behavior that comes on suddenly. My Dad usually sits in his chair and nodds most of the day. By the time he gets up and gets dressed, he is exhausted. The walk to meals wears him out. When he is up wondering the halls, trying to leave the building for imaginary meetings, and talking incesenty about crazy stuff.... he has a UTI. Mom's are a little more difficult to figure out because she has melt downs with or without UTI's. It is the intensity and duration we have to watch. The other clue is when she complains about being constipated. Evidently the sensations are similar and she related anything in her lower abdoman to constipation.

I have never heard of a UTI test strip. I am not sure what the benefit would be since yo uneed the doctor to prescribe the antibiotiics and he will insist on doing the Urinalysis anyway.

Question.... Could your Mom's bathroom issues be similar to the eating issues with Sis forcing her way on Mom?

With the hat, you can get a urine sample if she pees in the toilet at all....

Love, deb

Old 01-15-2009, 06:19 PM   #8
(male)

MIMPHISTO HB User

Hi,

Yes it is called a hat I'd get one, some drug stores or medical supply have them. But there is no at home test that is reliable to look for a UTI. I am a medical professional (can't say what) but it's better you go to your doctor to have the tests or collect the samples at home.

More importantly if there is a recurrent UTI and the person is in Depends or similar you need to evaluate how often you change them. Leaving someone in urine can cause them pretty quick or if they wet their undies same thing.

Hope this helps!

Closed Thread