It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2009, 03:01 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User
dad took a vacation!!!!!!!!!!!!

hi, my mom is in a nh where my dad has been going every day. he decided to go to calif. to visit relatives and my son. i am so happy he did this. he so needed this. he is gone for 10 days. we told my mom the day before he left he had legal business to take care of and she has been fine with this. he calls her every day as the nurses told him to. i go when i can and she asks for him, but then she remembers he is out of town. she cried a lot at first and now she is pretty ok with it. i have to lie to her and tell her he will be back in a couple of days. i now call her and that seems to make her happy. so now i have learned that calling can help so much. everyday though is a different story with my mom. she says everyone is stealing, the staff are committing murders and today when i was there she said they poisoned all the food and she wont eat. i keep telling her she is dreaming this so she wont be scared and sometimes it works. she has lost so much weight and really has no appetite. the point being is i am so happy my father was able to get away and i am not running to the nh every second. its so hard still and i just cant help feeling i just want my mother to be her old self. thanks for listening. debbie

Old 01-18-2009, 03:09 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Martha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB User
Re: dad took a vacation!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm glad for him too. Your Mom will be fine without his constant visits. He may decide once he's back to visit her every other day or 3x a week - it won't make that much difference. My Mom more or less stopped eating in April of 07 and passed away in December of that same year. I don't know how far along your Mom is, but this lack of interest in food can be a sign of great decline.

I know how hard it is go through all this.

Love,

Martha

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-18-2009, 04:36 PM   #3
(female)

upatnite58 HB User

i agree with Martha..this will do him a world of good. Your Mom will be O.K. Keep calling if you think it helps, but don't let the stealing and poisoning get you down....gosh this sounds so familiar....Lori

Old 01-18-2009, 06:11 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

DrewsG HB UserDrewsG HB UserDrewsG HB UserDrewsG HB User

So gald for your Dad debbie g. You sound so happy for him. I hope he enjoys his time away. I understand how you feel believe me. I want my Mom back like she use to be 7 years ago. Its human I guess to dream a little for something you know is never going to happen. Anyway I'm glad for your Dad.

Maybe her appetite will pick up when your Dad returns? I know your going through alot of pain missing your Mom as she use to be. I'm sorry. We have all been there.

Love Chris

Old 01-19-2009, 05:20 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User

thanks for you replies. it makes me feel so much better. i dont think her appetite will ever come back. its so sad.

Closed Thread