It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2009, 03:22 PM   #1
(female)

jannar HB User
question--mother-in-law--dementia?

My 86 year old mother in law has always had social phobia problems however some new symptoms have come up lately. Over the holidays she had to be hospitalized due to pneumonia. She became extremely aggitated by the people that were taking care of her. She ranted and raved and was extremely demanding. They moved her to a nursing home for recovery because she lives alone and our family lives an hour or more away. While she was at the nursing home, the social worker call to say that she was being very aggitated and was demanding to go home. She wouldn't participate in any of the activities and would only eat in her room. The social worker said that there wasn't any reason to keep her any longer and they needed to release her because she didn't want to stay. My mother in law thinks she was a model resident. My mother in law has also started to use profanity and have irrational behavior. She does a lot of ranting and raving over almost anything.

My own mother has Alzheimers but this behavior is different. My husband and I are not sure what to do. His mother is refusing any type of help and since she lives all alone and does not have any neighbors for miles, we are at our witts end.

Old 01-19-2009, 05:18 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User
Re: question--mother-in-law--dementia?

i think she is ready for a nursing home no matter what she says. talk to her dr first and see what the diagnosis is.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-20-2009, 04:47 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Martha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB User
Re: question--mother-in-law--dementia?

It is possible she has another form of demenita than what your mother has. Symptoms can vary greatly. Being agitated is pretty common, and not getting along with others. But as you say, she was always somewhat withdrawn.

Perhaps a neurologist can give you a better diagnosis. Then you will have a better idea how to deal with it. Sorry this has appeared twice in your life - that is too much for anyone.

Love,

Martha

Closed Thread