It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2009, 09:37 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Martha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB User
Dreamed of my mother last night

I had a strange dream. I was walking home to the apartment we had lived in in the 1950s when I was a teenager. Halfway there I said to myself, 'We don't live there any more." But then I reasoned, "I am back in the past, so we do live there."

My Mom was waiting for me on the corner, but she was in her 90s, not in her 50s as she was then. I asked her, "do you remember all this?" She said, "NOW I remember everything. But I never did have Alzheimers. I had a series of minor seizures. Every time I lost more of my memory. No one ever found out what had caused it.'' Then I woke up.

I am not pretending that Mom gave me her diagnosis in my sleep ... but I am wondering if seizures can cause Dementia? She never had a seizure in our presence, nor was she ever diagnosed as having had any.

Love,

Martha

Old 01-24-2009, 10:48 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User
Re: Dreamed of my mother last night

What a wonderful, comforting dream! No one can ever completely take your mom away from you!

I don't know about seizures and dementia. Maybe someone else here knows. But I'm glad you got to have a conversation with your dear mom last night!

Blessings,
Emily

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-24-2009, 11:10 AM   #3
(female)

crispess HB User

My mum has had about four seizures over the last two or three years. She has recently been diagnosed with parkinsons disease though. But after her first seizure she seemed quite normal after the next and following ones her health and memory has deteriorated a bit more each time. She cannot remember lots of stuff from the past and yet sometimes she suprises us by remembering something I have wondered whether she also has alzheimers as i beleive this goes hand in hand with parkinsons but i try not to think about it too much as i get very upset about it all.

crispess

Old 01-24-2009, 11:18 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

petal*pusher HB User

How interesting Martha! Too many unusual things have happened in my own life to make me doubt what you say!

I did a quick search of Alzheimer's/seizures and found this absolutely can be possible! All of these different types of dementia seem to follow such different patterns that aid in diagnosis...but Alzheimer's wears so many different hats. My 3 loved ones were all very different in how it affected each of them.

I do have to tell you...I often was surprised at your descriptions of how your Mother was doing...such as still being able to recognize you and even once in a while communicating! I guess it was just too easy to compare her actions to what I was seeing.....blank stares with hollow eyes focused on nothing, no attempt at communication, I think I even remember someone else being surprised and asking you about this, right?

My friend, you have brought up some info that might easily be very helpful to others here.............and I love how it was brought to you!......Pam

Old 01-24-2009, 11:48 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User

What a wonderful gift for you Martha, as with the feather it is as if your Mom is reaching out to comfort you. Treasure the gift.

I am with Pam. Each dementia has it's own characteristics and causes. I don't think they have even scratched the surface to determine what causes and how to cure this general disease.

I truly believe your Mom was letting you know that she was ok and that you were going to be ok too Martha. Hang on to the good feelings.

Love, deb

Old 01-24-2009, 08:04 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

thisworld HB User

the night before my hubby pass on Nov. 8 . he sat up in bed and said Wally. and held his arms out. and the next night he pass away. my daughter and I witness it. and we believe Wally (our son that died 9 years before through sucidide) came that night and told his dad not tonight. talk to mom and Jessica tomorrow. and the next day he did very clearly to us. and then he passed. so beautiful and also so sad. i pray for dreams from my hubby of 4o years and my son to come in my dreams. my heart goes out to everyone that has lost a love one. god bless all. disney world, faye

Old 01-25-2009, 08:11 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

DrewsG HB UserDrewsG HB UserDrewsG HB UserDrewsG HB User

Dear Martha, I love to have dreams about my LO's who have passed on. It feels like I've had a visit from them. They are trying to tell me something or just to let me feel their presence because they know I miss them so much.

I haven't had a dream about Grandpa in so long. He is the one I would dream about so often. I sure wish he would visit me. I believe your Mom came to see you. What a gift. My husband doesn't really believe that dreams like this mean anything. He just smiles and says he's glad it makes me feel better but it was just a dream...............I don't believe thats so.

Anyway I'm glad that your sweet Mom paid a visit. You must have needed to see her. Thats what I choose to believe.

Love and hugs to you today Martha. Chris

Old 01-25-2009, 10:17 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User

i dream about my mother all the time. she never has dementia in the dreams. when i wake up i remember how sick she really is. what a dose of reality every morning. i am glad that i do drem about her.

Old 01-25-2009, 01:20 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

caringsister54 HB Usercaringsister54 HB Usercaringsister54 HB Usercaringsister54 HB Usercaringsister54 HB User

Deb G

My Dad did come to me after he died. he told me things about heaven that sustains me, even now. they are

1) God makes you whole. Whatever you lacked on earth, you aren't lacking in heaven so if you are deaf you can hear, if you are blind, you'll be able to see, etc. Loss a limb on earth, you have it back in heaven.

2) God asks you when was the best time of your life and you are made to look like that forever. A wonderful thing.

3) You are living amongst everyone in happiness and love. You may feel a more stronger pull towards someone nearby in heaven but there isn't any family identifications in heaven. So your parent or relative may have been such in earthly form but you will not be 'tied' emotionally to one person over another. Everyone lives together in happy harmony.

4) God doesn't allow you to be guardian angels over your earthly relatives. he doesn't want the person to feel or jeparodize their devine plan, so they can be involved in providing feedback to that person's guardian angel but they can't interfer at all.

i hear this back in 1995 when he passed. But it was basically reinforced surprisingly by the book 90 minutes in heaven that I read after my husband died.

These sweet thoughts sustain me even now knowing what's happening with Mom.

take Care
CaringSister54 (aka Diane)

Old 01-25-2009, 02:54 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Martha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB User

I do believe Mom sent me that message ... just to reinforce my belief that she is OK but in another dimension.

I woke up feeling really happy that morning, and that feeling has persisted these few days.

Thanks for all your responses.

Love,

Martha

Old 01-25-2009, 03:15 PM   #11
(female)

Happy1240 HB User
Smile Re: Dreamed of my mother last night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha H View Post
I do believe Mom sent me that message ... just to reinforce my belief that she is OK but in another dimension.

I woke up feeling really happy that morning, and that feeling has persisted these few days.

Thanks for all your responses.

Love,

Martha
I believe once you pass you go on to another dimension. Im sure your mother knows she made you very happy she paid you a visit cause that is why she came.

Cheryl

Old 01-26-2009, 09:35 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User

I believe as well Martha. I believe in guardian angels and the watchful eye of those that have gone before. Some think I am nuts but I am absolutely with you one this one Martha

Love, deb

Old 01-26-2009, 03:29 PM   #13
(female)

upatnite58 HB User

Martha, sorry it took me awhile to post but something about the seizures your mom had in your dream jogged my memory. so i did some checking. and wow, yes, both TIA's (mini strokes) and minor seizures are linked to cognitive decline. the question is ...which comes first..the seizures or the dementia? nobody's sure about that, but your dream really makes one wonder. the fact that it left you with a good feeling is all that matters. my personal opinion is that your mom is happier than she's ever been and wants you to know that. Lori

Old 01-27-2009, 07:39 AM   #14
Veteran
(female)

thisworld HB User

hey, Im having a hard time today. alot of self-pity here. no one has commented on what I witness with my hubby. do you think he saw my son or like some cold hearted people saying Faye it was his meds. Jessica(my baby girl) witness it and we choose to think he did. no dreams are coming to me. i pray that day will come though.

Old 01-27-2009, 11:25 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney world View Post
the night before my hubby pass on Nov. 8 . he sat up in bed and said Wally. and held his arms out. and the next night he pass away. my daughter and I witness it. and we believe Wally (our son that died 9 years before through sucidide) came that night and told his dad not tonight. talk to mom and Jessica tomorrow. and the next day he did very clearly to us. and then he passed. so beautiful and also so sad. i pray for dreams from my hubby of 4o years and my son to come in my dreams. my heart goes out to everyone that has lost a love one. god bless all. disney world, faye
I think it is very possible that he really saw his son. He is probably with him now. Just go on believing, whatever anyone says.

Love,

Martha

Closed Thread