It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2009, 08:31 AM   #1
(male)

jefbo HB User
if my grandfather had alzheimer's does that mean i will get it ?

if my grandfather had alzheimer's does that mean i will get it ?

Old 01-31-2009, 09:35 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User
Re: if my grandfather had alzheimer's does that mean i will get it ?

No jef, that doesn't mean you will get it. There is a genetic component to some dementia but that still doesn't mean you will get it. Some get it with no family history of dementia. It's as random as the roulett wheel.

Beyond that, other than living the best life you can, taking care of yourself, and making sure your legal affairs are in order there is nothing at this point you can do about it so there is no need to worry.

My grandmother has ALZ. Now my Mom has it but her sister doesn't. Two of grandmother's siblings had it as well but five of them didn't. Dad is the only one in his family that I know of to have vascular dementia. His mother and three sisters lived into their 90's without symptoms and all of his brothers died with clear minds.

So we never know and not something to waste energy worrying about. Hope that helps.

Love, deb

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-31-2009, 11:12 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Martha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB User

Here are a couple of reasons why you (probably young) and I (nearly 70 ) do not have to worry about this. In my case my Mom died of it, BUT:

1. We can avoid getting it, even if genetically predisposed, by keeping physically and mentally fit. Physically by doing lots of healthy exercise, staying at a normal weight, and eating lots of fruits and vegetables and staying away from all the additives put into preserved and processed foods. Mentally by staying alert, reading books, doing crossword puzzles or playing mentally stimulating games on computers or (better) with other people, instad of being couch potatoes watching TV.

2. We are assured of a cure just down the road. That is, in a few years, new research is expected to have a drug that will reverse, not just slow down, the progression of Dementia. (Alzheimers is one form of it, the drug should work with ALL the different variations.)

3. We have a life to live every day - jobs, families, friends, community service, churches, volunteer work, sports and fun - no energy left to spend on worrying, which thus far has only proved to have negative effects. By worrying we cannot make one grey hair black again. (this was said in the Bible by a much wiser person than I am.)

So --- cheer up, live, work, exercise, eat and enjoy life.

Love,

Martha

PS I also recommend staying away from all drugs, prescription or over the counter, unless you have a serious condition. Lots of people pop a pill for every ache or pain - and pay for it with damaged brains.

Last edited by Martha H; 01-31-2009 at 11:19 AM. Reason: add PS

Old 02-03-2009, 03:21 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

golfhat HB Usergolfhat HB Usergolfhat HB User

I agree Martha about the cure. Why? Because all us Boomers are aging and we don't want to!

It isn't the same as it was for our parents who were the WW2 generation. They expected to get old and die by 65-75 or 80. They understood hard work and disease and old age, cause they saw it hit THEIR parents. they didn't try to stay young.

however, the WW2 generation also wanted their retirement. They worked hard and at 65 they expected to retire. And then things start to happen, diseases, cancer, or dementia because they stopped being active.

For the Boomers and Generation X the idea of retirement is ridiculous. Most of us will work at something or be active well into our 70s and 80s. My husband will not retire before 75 and will probably continue to play golf and work part-time forever...You are right about the exercise and watching your diet and all the meds they have now for extending life.

What they need more than extending life is curing or preventing dementia. It is more of a drain on society than heart disease or CA.

Why? Because the younger folks become responsible for the older ones with dementia and our quality of late middle age and elder years is taken up with caring for the old folks. where is my retirement? It is going to be taking care of mom.

That is happening to my sisters and me. My mom has ALZ and it is a constant worry as to who is taking care of her and what has she done now.
We recently put her in nice Assisted Living and of course it has been so problematic.

She just doesn't want to be there but it is one of the nicest places I have seen. She wants to live alone, not with us, and wants to be with her parents who died a long time ago!! We don't know what to do.

However, just this week she seems adjusted and happy and is finally eating again. It is so hard on her and on us. I just cry and cry.

Yes, you can bet there will be something for this disease. In the next 10 years for sure.

Old 02-03-2009, 03:38 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

petal*pusher HB User

Oh golfhat...wish there was some magic way to get thru those first few months after we place our loved ones! It's HARD! It's hard on our loved one, and it's hard on us...but we just have to realize there will soon come a time when they believe this is where they've always been.

Martha...I always like your to-the-point-posts! Loved that p.s.!

Jefbo...this is scary, isn't it?!? I remember wondering this same thing many years ago watching a grandparent go thru this. Mom has it now too...and of course, I have to admit, it does cross my mind sometimes.

Life is so short! There's so much to get accomplished in a lifetime...and we just can't let this worry get in the way. You didn't say your age, but I've found myself (a little ol' lady!) learning all I can about any type of Dementia/Alzheimer's. If you are younger, maybe watching someone you love will help you understand challenges and help look for needed answers.
Pam

Old 02-03-2009, 05:12 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User

golfhat you have to remember that she is incapable of making sound decisions about what is good for her. I'm sure she wants to live independently but you know it's impossible. The hard part is having to make a decision, that we know our loved one doesn't want us to have to make. But it is what we must do. You are doing good. Just keep doing what you are doing. The brain knows you are doing just what you need to do... listen to it

Love, deb

Old 02-04-2009, 07:51 PM   #7
(male)

Jris HB User

The country of India has the lowest incidence of Alzheimer's in the world. They also eat the most amount of curry in the world. Curry contains turmeric, known to prevent Alzheimer's. Do the research, it's totally preventable, though docs won't tell you this..

Old 02-04-2009, 07:54 PM   #8
(male)

Jris HB User

Staying away from all drugs... Martha, I couldn't agree more. Sounds like you know the TRUTH!! Peace to you..

Closed Thread