It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2009, 03:07 AM   #1
(female)

myperfectage HB User
what other med helps alzheimer's sleep when psychotic med doesn't work?

what other med helps alzheimers sleep when psychotic med doesn't work? it seems to do the reverse reaction. he is like a wild man when given ativan and risperdal doesn't work. my father doesn't close his eyes at night and is uncontrolable.. any suggestions of anything else.

Old 02-10-2009, 05:22 AM   #2
(female)

Happy1240 HB User
Re: what other med helps alzheimer's sleep when psychotic med doesn't work?

My fil nuerolgist put him on seroquel. It makes him sleep soundly. It has to be the right dose or he actually sees peoples faces floating in front of him. When he first told me this I thought he was making it up. But talked to the dr and he said that was one of the signs when he needs to have it increased. Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-10-2009, 10:58 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

I was also going to ask if they had tried Seroquel on him. My mother was on it. But it requires a balancing act. It took quite a bit of work to get her balanced on it. But once they got the right amount in her she responded to it very well.

Have they tried giving your father just a sleeping pill as opposed to a psychotic med? Or do they have a reason not to give a sleeping pill?

Old 02-12-2009, 03:23 AM   #4
(female)

myperfectage HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibake&pray View Post
I was also going to ask if they had tried Seroquel on him. My mother was on it. But it requires a balancing act. It took quite a bit of work to get her balanced on it. But once they got the right amount in her she responded to it very well.

Have they tried giving your father just a sleeping pill as opposed to a psychotic med? Or do they have a reason not to give a sleeping pill?
I have asked the doc. for sleeping med and that is what has been given, I have know Idea why they have not gave me sleeping meds. but today i will have him transported to the doc... I will mention the Seroquel. Thank you for the suggestion.

Old 02-12-2009, 03:25 AM   #5
(female)

myperfectage HB User

Thank you for your suggestion .

Closed Thread