It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2009, 05:14 AM   #1
(female)

Darlray2 HB User
Caregiver Training

Has anyone ever taken an online caregiver course. I am seriously thinking about it but not sure. The cost is $99 and if I thought it might help with issues I am running into, I would do it.

Anybody know if this is a good idea or not?
Darla

Old 02-13-2009, 08:21 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User
Re: Caregiver Training

Darla, I was able to obtain a caregiver training tape and it was extremely helpful. Before I spent the money I would check with your local Alzheimer's Association office and see what they offer. They may well have a DVD course they can loan to you. You can also check with your local social service elder care department, the library, or your local hospital. The chaplin at Mom and Dad's hometown hospital loaned us a copy of a DVD she had access to and it was excellent.

I do think it is a excellent idea to get all the information you can about how to deal with your loved ones behavior and there are little tricks and techniques that can make it easier. You can't go wrong!!

love, deb

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-13-2009, 02:31 PM   #3
(female)

Darlray2 HB User

Thanks deb! I will check into those resources.

bless you!
darla

Old 02-20-2009, 05:50 AM   #4
(female)

lookingafterdad HB User

Re; Caregiver Training

Hi Darla
Not sure there is anything like that over here in the UK,
I know I, and many more like me, were just thrown in at the deep end,and left to get on with it,
I wish you luck

Love, Helen

Old 02-20-2009, 06:25 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User

Helen, there is an Alzheimer's Society in the UK. Do a web search and see what information they can provide you. No, nobody gives you any support, information, or encouragement. You have to dig it out for yourself.... which is a shame. Most times you get a diagnosis, a pat on the head, and a smile. Then you walk out to stumble forward on your own the best you can. Online is our best friend!! They have parenting classes now, why not caregiving classes?

Love, deb

Old 02-21-2009, 12:01 PM   #6
(female)

lookingafterdad HB User

Re; Caregiver Training

Hi deb, yes, I will look for them, thanks.....
Even his own Dr dosnt seem to have a clue , when I ask a question, "is this down to his dementia, and what to expect next" he cant answer me.
Its so sad.

Love, Helen

Old 02-21-2009, 12:54 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

I totally agree Helen, it is so very sad. Many doctors are just as clueless about dementia as we are. They may understand the physical mechanics tht make it so but they truly don't understand, unless they have been personally touched with it. I went through three clueless doctor before I found one with understanding... only to find out she had a family member with ALZ. That is why I found this board. I have learned more here than from any doctor!

Love, deb

Closed Thread