It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2009, 11:19 AM   #1
(female)

bimbbo HB User
is there a proper way to go off namenda?

I might try it but I wondered if I want off of it, can I do it and stop altogether or is it gradual and how does that work?

Old 02-13-2009, 12:42 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User
Re: is there a proper way to go off namenda?

Are you on it yourself? Or do you have someone on it?How long have you been on it? When they stopped giving it to both of my parents, they just stopped giving it to them. But they were pasted the early stages of dementia where it would have given them any benefit.

Please be aware that if you are taking it and are in the early stages of Alzheimers, you may see an increase in the deterioration of your mental capacities. It does help slow down the progression of the disease. That is what it is designed to do.

If I were you, I would consult your doctor before I would consider just stopping the medication cold turkey.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-13-2009, 07:21 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User

Welcome to the board bimbbo. My question is the same, is this for you or for a loved one? Either way you need to discuss the side effects before starting and before stopping the med. It would depend on the dosage, what side effect manifest themselves, the stage of the disease, and how long you had been taking it. That needs to be an informed decision in cooparation with the physician....

Love, deb

Last edited by Gabriel; 02-13-2009 at 07:22 PM.

Old 02-14-2009, 01:44 PM   #4
(female)

bimbbo HB User

No, I am not on it. Wanted to try it for headaches, but may not if it's something you can't stop right away. Just wondered if anyone knew. I know I could ask a doctor, just haven't done that yet. Thanks.

Old 02-14-2009, 01:50 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Martha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB User

Namenda is an anti Alzheimer's Disease drug, which sometimes helps people to slow down the loss of memory and reasoning that come with this disease. It has no effect on headaches and has caused some people to become unusually angry and upset. There is no justification to use it for headaches. I think there is a headache board on HB where you might find some help for your problem. Good luck!

Martha

Old 02-14-2009, 02:54 PM   #6
(male)

jmmgt HB User

My grandmother was on Namenda for two years for dementia. Last summer, she had a stomach virus and was not able to take the Namenda for about a week. I noticed a change for the better, and did not give her anymore. There seemed to be no bad effects from stopping cold turkey. After doing some research, I learned that there can be serious behavioral side effects from Namenda. I didn't notice these same side effects with the Aricept my grandmother was taking. I would advise anyone who is considering taking this drug to use caution. It caused my grandmother to be angry and paranoid, and as far as confusion I could really tell no difference with or without it.

Joel

Closed Thread