It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2009, 09:32 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

DrewsG HB UserDrewsG HB UserDrewsG HB UserDrewsG HB User
Mom was Queen of Valentine Party !!!!!

Mom finally made it !!!!

Now this was worth everything we went through yesterday morning trying to figure out what was wrong with Mom. She was so happy. The facility had entertainment for an hour and then the big anouncement for King and Queen of the Valentine dance. They called Moms name and we were all so surprised. The residents voted for their King and Queen. She received a crown, a shoulder sach and a red rose. The King was a retired Marine, Bob. A very sweet man.The singing Sheriff (can't remember his name) sang a love song to Mom. He is a sheriff in our county. It was just the sweetest thing I've ever seen. Mom was all smiles and just waved to the crowd. They both sang "Let Me Call You Sweetheart" with the microphone. Mom actually sang and knew every word.

Then Mom thanked everyone and said "I'm so thrilled. I've never been the Queen of anything". They were both in their wheelchairs and we took tons of pictures. Refreshments afterward. It was a good evening. A very good end to an exhausting day. We took Mom back to her apt. and put her to bed. She said "thank you girls. I had a wonderful evening". So sweet.......good memories.

Love, Chris

Old 02-15-2009, 11:40 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Martha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB User
Re: Mom was Queen of Valentine Party !!!!!

I am so happy for her, and for you. Yes, there are good memories at a nursing home. Entertainment is one of the main reasons I hope to go to a good NH if I ever need one, rather than being lonely in one of my children's houses. There was something going on almost every day at Mom's NH, and of course every holiday and the monthly birthday party were highlights.

Good for her for being chosen Queen!

Love,
Martha

Last edited by Martha H; 02-15-2009 at 01:49 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-15-2009, 11:49 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User

Congrats to your mom, the Queen!
She must have been tickled pink!
What a nice story, this brings a smile to my face!

Old 02-15-2009, 01:13 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

petal*pusher HB User

Aw Chris! What a fun thing to share with us here...it's just nice to hear some "happy" stuff going on for your Mom.

Glad you took lots of pics...she'll have a good time looking at them...so will you!........Pam

Old 02-15-2009, 01:20 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

meg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB User

is there anything sweeter than seeing their smile?

Love, Meg

Old 02-15-2009, 03:49 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

mary09 HB Usermary09 HB Usermary09 HB User

Hi Chris,
Thank God for beautiful moments in among all the darkness. They are so precious and give you that little "recharge" to keep going.
So glad your mom had a wonderful time!!!
Love, Caroline xo

Old 02-15-2009, 10:42 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User

Yes your Mom is Queen for the day and that makes you the Princess. I am so very happy for you both. There is nothing like your Mom's smile to put a smile on your face and lift your spirits. What a beautiful ending to a day. Keep that memory tucked close to your heart! It even made me smile Thank you for sharing that special moment.

Love, Deb

Old 02-16-2009, 10:08 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

See Chris,

We have those royal purple towels for a reason! A queen's daughter in our midst! How special for your Mom. How incredibly sweet. Makw sure that you put plenty of pictures up in her apt. for her to look at. That will make her happy for weeks to come....What a neat day for her...how special.... A sash and a crown. Boy what a gift....just like cinderella...

I wish you could post a picture or two...Tell your mom that we are all proud of her.

Hugs....

Old 02-16-2009, 03:29 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

dorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB User

That has to be the sweetest thing I've ever heard. Bet your mom didn't know that she would become queen in her lifetime..almost like a homecoming queen, a valentine queen, what an honor and what a beautiful memory to leave behind for her children to cherish.

Old 02-17-2009, 04:59 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mom is still talking about her "Special night". I wasn't sure she would remember being "Queen" but she sure does. We have been able to get some of the extra fluid out of her body and she is breathing easier now. We'll back off of the extra lasix before her kidneys act up. Its a real balancing act with her and her meds. One mistake and she's in trouble. The severe hives are gone and she seems to be a little more clear headed.

Yesterday the facility had a birthday party for Rose, 90 years young, and the retired Marine ask if he could sit next to Mom...........this did not go unnoticed by the other residents. She just giggled and smiled and said "Now ladies we're just friends".

Rose is a little Italian lady that everyone loves. One of the sweetest ladies you have ever met. She sits next to the fireplace every day and her smiling face is the first thing you see when you walk into the entry hall. Full of vinegar and always says "God be with you", when you say Goodbye. I'm getting attached as you can tell. Yikes.......I don't need to get too attached. Some of these ladies are just so special you can't help yourself.

So Mom had another good day. Sure hope it continues for awhile. We'll take what ever we can get.

Love to all,
Chris

Old 02-17-2009, 06:03 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

caringsister54 HB Usercaringsister54 HB Usercaringsister54 HB Usercaringsister54 HB Usercaringsister54 HB User

Chris

one good thing about this site is that you are actually 'recording' or 'journaling' the good and the bads. But the goods are good to post and we all love them so much.

This way when the time comes, you'll be able to go back and see those 'good' posts and be filled with those wonderful memories.

I had a guestbook on another website and while it was initially there for others to post memories of my Mikey, it turned out to be my journaling of the pain of grief. Unfortunately i forgot the entire world could read what I was writing and sometimes it really upset the other people to see the pain I was in.

After I printed off a final copy and put it in a binder, I started a word document called "letters to Mikey" and I go there every so often to post the good and the bad of my day with work, kids, sister, or boyfriend (since I always believe he and God has something to do with Joe coming into my life)
in fact, each Christmas I would take a Christmas card and write a year in review message to Mikey. I put that in his stocking when I pack the stockings away for another year. When I'm gone, my kids will be able to open them up, read them and know how much I loved their Dad and them.

Those letters to Mikey and the others on the guestbook allowed me to see where I was mentally and how far I came. This site will do that for some of you as well. You'll have the Valentine Queen memories, how wonderful for you.

Love
CaringSister54

Old 02-17-2009, 06:24 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

Diane,

What a wonderful thing to do. That will be a great gift to them. A snapshot of their lives.

I have given up on Christmas cards..no one reads them. Too busy to send yeada yada yada...I do however, send a valentines letter. Started it the year Craig had his heart attack. He was 44 and we were so thankful to have him that I decided that that year warranted something special. All of our family enjoys getting it because they have time to read it and it brightens the dreary winter time. We skip some years, but I try to get it out...

Old 02-17-2009, 07:51 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thank you caring. What a good idea. I've already gone back to check some of my postings about Mom. When I can't recall the last hospital stay or when her last "downward" slide occured. Most importantly "why" it happened. That is if I had an idea at the time.

Not sure that I want to read my ranting posts. LOL Some of them were BAD!! But my friends here brought me back to earth when I was spinning out of control.

Love,Chris

Last edited by DrewsG; 02-17-2009 at 07:53 AM.

Old 02-17-2009, 09:52 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User

Any writing is good therapy. No only for the one that writes but the ones that read it as well. Strange story on me again. I had an internet contact that was killed in a horrible accident. We had been friends for 5 years and even met at a group meeting. I was aware that his wife didn't know of his reaching out on the internet. I was devistated when I learned of his accident. From April when he was killed until October I continued to write e-mail journeling my struggle and send it to his screen name. In October I received an e-mail from his screen name. Yeah, freaked me just a little. When I opened it, it was from his wife. She gave me her phone number. The next morning I called and hung up 3 hours later. We were able to give each other closure in so many ways. We became fast friends that day. With her invitation, I attended the one year memorial of his death, met her, his sons, his extended family and some of his fire brothers. She brought me his captain t-shirt which he promised to me after he became Chief. Even now, four years later, we stay in close contact. I supported him thought some very troubled times and wonder sometimes if he put me in a place to support her as well. So you never know what the journeling will bring back to you.

Love, deb

Closed Thread