It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2009, 05:52 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

caringsister54 HB Usercaringsister54 HB Usercaringsister54 HB Usercaringsister54 HB Usercaringsister54 HB User
Taking a break to have a virtual dinner with my friends

Okay so picture us all in a large hall. There's a magnificant table (bare) before us with a large number of chairs around it.

I'll let others step up and dress and set the table but I'm providing one of the entree, I'm making my large pot of Italian sauce and my wonderful 5 layer lasagna layered with meat and cheese.

Okay what's everyone else bringing or doing? those that can't cook, can help dress up and set the table.

Love it.

Love you

CaringSister54

Last edited by caringsister54; 02-17-2009 at 05:55 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-17-2009, 06:28 AM   #2
(female)

mimi1824 HB User
Re: Taking a break to have a virtual dinner with my friends

I'm bringing lots of garlic bread and white wine. Cheers.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-17-2009, 06:30 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

Well, If you're bringing lasgagne, then I'll bake the bread. Foccacia perhaps.. Or something rustic with a hard crust that we can tear and dip in EVOO (as Rachel Ray keeps saying).

And you have your choice. Either cheesecake or homemade custard ice cream with shortbread cookies.....Or I suppose we could have both? But I'm leaning towards the cheesecake. My favorite is a choice between chocolate chip. It's an oreo cookie crust with a white filling with mini chocolate chips in the filling. Or I make one with layers like a bullseye, chocolate and vanilla. Both are yummy. And the best kept secret is that as soon as you cut them all the calories run out! I have it on good authority..my mom. And there was nothing that she didn't know!

NEXT?

And what a good idea Caring!

Old 02-17-2009, 07:07 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

caringsister54 HB Usercaringsister54 HB Usercaringsister54 HB Usercaringsister54 HB Usercaringsister54 HB User

Well someone better 'dress' the table? we can't eat on bare wood! Whose got heirloom tablecloth -- describe it -- whose got the hand-me down plates -- they don't have to match!

Come On Deb, you're cleaning out the house, whatcha got?

Love

Oh and the cheesecake please. Whose bringing meat, vegetables, etc.
I mean come on ladies, we're going to do it right -- this should be a 7 course meal, but its going to take a long time for us to enjoy.

i want to be so full and fat, I can't move from the table of your love

Caring

Old 02-17-2009, 07:17 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

mary09 HB Usermary09 HB Usermary09 HB User

Hello friends....
I just have a quick minute this morning as I'm headed out for a day shopping with my son, also to look for a birthday gift for mom who turns "60" next week. But I wanted to put my two cents in for dinner.....

Since I cant cook worth a hill of beans and you'd all be running for the phone to order pizza, I'd like to take care of the decorating. I'll fill the hall with beautiful brightly colored balloons and streamers to represent "life" and "happiness".
I'll also set a beautiful candle (two for some people) at each place setting to represent each of our loved ones, together with a single rose for each wonderful friend at the table.

Menu sounds great already, I'm getting hungry!!!

Love, Caroline xo

Old 02-17-2009, 09:02 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

DrewsG HB UserDrewsG HB UserDrewsG HB UserDrewsG HB User

OK you caught me with only a few minutes before I have to leave. Husband is having a meltdown for me to wrap-it-up. Geez he can be impatient. Let me think while I'm gone today and I'll check back later.

I've already told you all that I'm an ordinary cook, not a great one, so maybe a wonderful ilatian salad????? I think I could handle that dish. I do make a wonderful salad dressing that my family loves.

Got to run........he's starting to pace behind me........MEN !!!!!

Love Chris

Old 02-17-2009, 10:03 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

CHRIS!!!!

TELL HIM TO BACK OFF!!!!

We can hardly wait!!!!

Old 02-17-2009, 11:19 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User

Hummm..... I was the one with the wonderful table cloth that led to Mom's Christmas melt down so I will sneak it and use it on the table. Do anybody care that it has cross stitched Christmas trees all the way around the border and an amazing cross stitched center? Each stitch is perfect as only my Mom could do. There are also 24 matching linen napkins with the same Christmas tree on them. That should be enough. Christmas is such a celebration of hope and love that it seem appropriate.

My fortay in cooking is turkey dinner. So I will bring the turkey, dressing, and all the trimmings. I only cook it about 5 times between Thanksgiving and Christmas so one more in February will keep me in practice. My chicken and dumplings are always requested to I will throw that in for those that are not in the mood for turkey and dressing. Perhaps collards?? I am such a traditional southern cook

Oh..... And we have to make sure that IBake/Jill's soap box is placed at the front of the room. I will attend to that detail hehe

Chris, we will create a distration for hubby!!!

Love, deb

Old 02-17-2009, 11:28 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

polina HB Userpolina HB User

How about something to dip on before the dinner is served. For our Christmas party at work I always bring the Pita chips w/spinach dip and all I ever hear the rest of the day is: Who brought the dip??? Little do they ALL know (some people I do tell the truth to) the dip is from COSTCO's but it has been a big hit at work. I will bring that to our dinner! Can't wait!

Love Pauline

Old 02-17-2009, 12:50 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Martha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB User

I can make a pretty good German style cucumber salad called Gurkensalat - made with a sour cream sauce and lots of dill.

Set a place for me!

Love,

Martha

Old 02-17-2009, 02:47 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

meg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB User

One large tray of cheese and fruits plus one chocolate cherry cake plus a few good bottles of cabernet (that means whichever ones are on sale!)

I hope you all don't mind if I come dressed comfortably..which for me means no bra and in my comfiest bathrobe..ahhhhhhh.
(but I'll wear heels if you insist)

Love, Meg

Old 02-17-2009, 02:50 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

LOL Meg, I like the way you think......I will come dressed comfortably as well!!!!

You know I can actually make a pretty nice Trifle, so I will bring along to go with IBakes desserts!! You can never have enough dessert with these women around!!!

How about I bring a photographer also to take a nice "family portrait" after dinner???

Yeah, I like that idea!!!!

Love, Caroline

Old 02-17-2009, 02:55 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

meg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB User

Pictures?! Uh Oh..I better wear a bra...

Old 02-17-2009, 02:57 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ah that's funny Meg......but dont even worry about it......as my lovely grandma used to say "just let' em swing".........

Old 02-17-2009, 08:20 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thinking about the "let them swing" comment made me think of my dad.

I happened to be well endowed for a small person and my father would bust my mother and I when we sneeze. he's say, better have them in a bra because if not, you're liable to fracture your kneecaps with them.

Our dinner is coming along nicely. Not sure about the picture but Meg if you are bra-less, we'll hide you behind someone if you insist.

I need the recipe for dumplings.

Love to all
Caring.

Hmmmm, I can smell the wonderful smells coming from the kitchen. The christmas table cloth and stuff s a wonderful addition. Love the toughts.

Closed Thread