It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2009, 04:35 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Martha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB User
Smile Families

Dear Friends,

I'm leaving soon for FL and my son's wedding. With my daughter and her family, we'll drive to Chicago and fly to Miami on the 4th, the wedding is on the 7th and we'll fly back on March 11. I may not have computer access during this time and will also be very busy.

It will also be a reunion with people I last saw at Mom's funeral and with one whom I have not seen for much longer than that, my Ex. My sister will also be there, and sadly there is still some tension in the air caused by her denial of Mom's condition and her criticism of my ways of dealing with Mom for 5 years. But my wonderful brother and sister in law are also coming, and it will be a joy to see them again. All my children and all my grandchildren will finally be together again after several years - my son and grandddaughter from Germany will also be there.

There will be a lot of happiness and also some awkward moments.

I wish my Mom had been able to experience this wedding of her youngest grandchild - but no, the way she was that last year, she would not have been able to attend anyway, and her death was a release from her suffering.

I'll miss all of you and will spend some time reading your postings when I return.

Love,

Martha

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-02-2009, 05:57 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

mary09 HB Usermary09 HB Usermary09 HB User
Re: Families

Oh Martha,

I am so happy for you going on this trip, especially for such a happy occasion as your sons wedding. We will miss you so very much while you're gone, and will pray for you to have a wonderful time and to come home safely. I'm sure there may be a few awkward moments with Sister, but perhaps it is a good sign that she is attending the wedding.....shows that she still wants to be part of "family". Believe me Martha, I'm about to give birth and none of my family have even acknowledged it, so there is hope my friend!!!! Maybe this happy occasion can be something to help smooth over some waters? Regardless, first and foremost, you have a wonderful time, and go bless those people with your wonderful presence!!!!! Hope all goes well.....and thank you so much for all your support this past week.

Love, Caroline xo

Last edited by mary09; 03-02-2009 at 05:58 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-02-2009, 07:18 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

DrewsG HB UserDrewsG HB UserDrewsG HB UserDrewsG HB User

Dear Martha,

Your trip sounds wonderful and seeing your son and granddaughter from Germany is a bonus. I'm so very glad for you. It's always a treat for us Moms to have our children all together isn't it?

Other than being around your Ex () I'm certain it will be a happy occasion. You'll be missed here and we'll be waiting for your report when you return home.

Safe trip friend.

Love, Chris

Old 03-02-2009, 07:57 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

caringsister54 HB Usercaringsister54 HB Usercaringsister54 HB Usercaringsister54 HB Usercaringsister54 HB User

Dearest Martha

Even if you have to pay for them, get family portraits taken now that everyone is together. Especially one with all the grandchildren. Then get one with your brother, sister and you. Put aside any issues, swallow and enjoy the happiness.

But those pictures will become very important in the future. And its a rare occasion when everyone is together and all dressed up!!!

Have fun, Eat Plenty and love, love, love.

Your CaringSister54

Old 03-02-2009, 11:17 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User

The trip sounds phantastic Martha and I hope you enjoy every minute of it. Don't let the awkward potentia cast any shadow on any of the smiles and laughter the event will give you. Just ignore the negative and focus on the positive. Yes, pictures are a must. Sometimes to bring home with you and cherish. Have a wonderful time, enjoy the festivities and the people you love. Have a safe trip, refresh your spirit, and reenergize yourself. Yes, you will be miss here, but knowing you are having a special time make is all worthwhile. Can't wait to hear about it when you get back

Love, deb

Old 03-02-2009, 11:40 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

Oh Martha,
How wonderful that you get to see all of the kids and grand kids. Do make sure to get pics of everyone. It may be a last chance type of pics. It gets so seldom that you get everyone in one spot these days! Enjoy having your sister and brother together..and know that your brother will protect you against your sister if she dares say anything!

Keep a towel in your back pocket and know that we are all enjoying the festivities with you-and protecting your back!

Old 03-02-2009, 12:06 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

meg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB User

Bring a sweater or two...we've been freezing down here! But by the time you're here it should have warmed up a bit.

I hope you have a wonderful visit with everyone!

Dance and eat enough for all of us.
Love, Meg

Old 03-02-2009, 01:08 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Martha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB User

Good advice, from picture taking to eating and dancing and bringing a sweater. We are leaving from Chicago - we will have not only sweaters but winter jackets, hats, gloves and boots on ... It was 8 degrees early this AM ....

Love,

Martha

Old 03-02-2009, 02:51 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User

What a coincidence. Mom just gave me the weather in Chicago while we were on the phone. She was watching the weather channel and totally confused about what our weather would be tonight.... until she realized they were talking abotu Chicago! Whatever you do Martha... leave the cold behind and have a phantastic time!!!

Love, deb

Old 03-02-2009, 07:21 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

polina HB Userpolina HB User

Martha
It sounds like a wonderful combination of family members will be there. That should be a fun visit. Seeing all the family, and the different ages, different personalities!! That will make for an interesting time. Enjoy have fun! Eat good !! take lots of Pics. Those family photos are always great to have to look back at!!

Love Pauline

Old 03-08-2009, 09:39 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Greetings from Florida. The wedding yesterday was absolutely beautiful, from the church ceremony, with the bride's grandfather taking the service (coming out of retirement and not having done a wedding for 12 years, he stumbled a bit over the words, but it was nice he was doing it) ... fabulous reception, in an outdoor restaurant with trees lit up in sparkly little lights, warm weather, moon and stars above, a mariachi band and later dancing music ... everyone had a wonderful time and I feel as if I have a new daughter.

it's too bad my Mom was not able to be here but by now she would be 100 so that was not to be expected ... my 96 year old Aunt also couldn't make it although still alive and healthy in SC.

I finally have all my kids and all my grandkids together here, and my 2 siblings and numerous nieces and nephews, and will return home on Wednesday.

God bless all of you still struggling with this disease.

Love,

Martha

Last edited by Martha H; 03-08-2009 at 09:40 AM.

Old 03-08-2009, 02:27 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

meg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB User

How nice to hear from you. I'm so glad the day was beautiful and all went well.

Your post goes to prove that there is life after this disease.

Thanks for checking in and I hope the sun keeps shining on you all.
Love, Meg

Old 03-09-2009, 09:36 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

I am so happy that you are having a good trip Martha. Enjoy every minute, and soak up all that it has to offer you. You are missed here but it fills us with hope and joy that you are having such a fantastic time. Enjoy the rest of your time there and have a safe trip back home.

Love, deb

Old 03-11-2009, 09:05 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Back safe and sound, and will catch up on these postings tomorrow.

Love,

Martha

Old 03-11-2009, 10:37 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glad you are back Martha You were missed. Can't wait to hear all about your trip!!

Love, deb

Closed Thread