It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2009, 03:55 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User
now mother in law

my mom is in a nursing home with vascular dementia. i am having such a hard time with this. now my mother in law fell at home. she is in the hospital and now they have to send her to a nursing home. she has vascular dementia. what is happening to our world? i am so scared.

Old 03-04-2009, 05:28 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

caringsister54 HB Usercaringsister54 HB Usercaringsister54 HB Usercaringsister54 HB Usercaringsister54 HB User
Re: now mother in law

Oh Deb, I am so sorry honey. Yes, what is happening in the world. And you notice its not just one part of the country either. Its all over.

I do think its all the by-products they add to get more milk out of the cow. More beef out of the cow as well. Plus the stuff they given chickens for more plump chickens and fatter pigs. Also its the stuff they add to made red meat more red.

The stuff they spray on the crops to keep the bugs off. The stuff on the fruit, etc.

I do think all our problems are man-made. If you notice, there's not much of it in China. Why is that, I wonder.

I also think that sometimes it becomes a little more of a label that is affixed without it being a proper diagnosis. Just an easy out for the doctors.

Please don't be too scared. We have you love and you are getting all the towels for a good cry.

Take care and love always

Diane (your caringsister54)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-05-2009, 12:43 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User

It has become epidemic. What we don't know is what the cause of it is. It could be any of the things Diane mention or a litany of other reasons. It culd be a side effect of medication that we take now. Or a litany of other reasons. They just don't know at this point. Or it could be that we are living longer. In our parents time how many lived to be 80 or 90.... not many.

We have made better progress at treating the body than the mind. We are living longer but are we living better?

I look at Dad. Non of his brothers had Vascular Dementia. Non of them lived to be 65 years old. Dad was not diagnosed until he was in his late 70's. He is now 88. So it is the meds that have kept him alive or is it the fact that his body has out lived his mind?

Mom's ALZ defnitely has a genetic component. My grandmother and 3 of her sisters were all diagnosed. Two others were showing signs when the died. Now Mom... and her sister is younger.

Both my inlaws are showing signs as well. My MIL forgets when hubby was there and Pops had been having problems since he broke his neck almost 3 years ago. But they are both also in their 80's.

So there is genetics, there are environmental triggers, there is the aging population. They probably all combine to give us what we have today. But it is not going to do any good to be fearful or to worry. Just stay physically and mentally active. That is all you can do.....

I am so sorry about your MIL. I do hope your Mom is doing as well as she can also.

Love, deb

Old 03-05-2009, 07:20 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

mary09 HB Usermary09 HB Usermary09 HB User

Dear Debbie,
So sorry to hear you may now be dealing with another loved one with this illness.....it is just so hard.

When I read Deb's response, I thought the exact same thing. Up here in Canada, I've seen documentaries, and newscasts, where they are actually saying "Is Canada ready for this?" because the statistics are showing a tremendous rise in the number of people being diagnosed with this illness. It is so true that we are concentrating on treating the body rather than the mind. It's almost as though just now they are starting to realize this.

I sense boards like this will become very busy. I have been coming here for well over a year now, and I've seen a huge increase in the number of posters on this particular one. As we can all tell, it's a very busy board, and I think there are a lot of people who "read" and dont even post, so there are alot of people out there dealing with this. I hope and pray for them that they find the kind of support we have here, because although we cant change the path of this illness for our loved ones, places like this and people like this, just sometimes can really get you through the hard moments, and there are plenty of them.

Keep posting...and we all have the towels ready for you.....

Love, Caroline xo

Old 03-05-2009, 08:17 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

Debbie,

My father had vascular dementia. My mother had Alzheimers. My father died from an anuerism. My mother followed daddy five weeks after he died. Even with the dementia, she didn't want to be without him. They had been married for 64 and a half years.

I think that this has been around for years, but we are just starting "label" it. People used to keep grandma and grandpa at home and they were just forgetful..The doctors didn't slap the labels on it as we do now. That and our older generations didn't have the life expectancy that we have now. My daddy was the longest living of his 10 siblings and he was 3 days shy of his 88 birthday. There are alot of contributing factors these days.

The best thing you can do is to take one day at a time. Keep yourself active and healthy. Do mind games to stimulate your brain. And as hard as it is, there is no sense worrying about what you can't change. There is no guarantee that you will get it, or that you won't. It's a crap shoot. Come back and read alot and post often, and welcome....

Old 03-05-2009, 09:25 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User

You made an interesting point jill.... we do tend to label ailment now more so than in the past. I have to think of my child and her ADHD. Yep, she was one of the first with that label in her school. It was her and one other child. Now so many children are labeled. I had spinal meningitis when I was 5. Yep, lucky to survive that one back then. I was given a psychological battery of test to see if there was any damage from the extremely high fever I had for so long. No, there was nothing from that, but if you read the report, I was an ADHD baby. So it went from not being diagnosed, even with psychological testing, to being something new and rare, to being common place in my life time. ALZ, I think, is much the same. I have heard Mom say that my great grandmother had "spells".... spells of confusion and unusual behavior. Much of what I know points to ALZ.... but it was never diagnosed and she was kept at home. She didn't live long afterwards but died of comlications from other medical conditions. When Dad was diagnosed just under 10 years ago, everything was labeled ALZ. They didn't know of all the different kinds back then. Now there are all kinds of labels.

So yes, we are getting better at diagnosing the problems, we are living longer which gives us more change of getting it, and we do a better job of taking care of the body than the brain...... and who know what else is contributing. Are any of us ready? NO!!! But it is what it is and as of now there is no way to know which one or how to stop it. So why worry! Stay healthy, eat right, exercise your body and your mind, and enjoy every minute of life.

Love, deb

Old 03-05-2009, 02:50 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User

thank all of you wonderful people with your responses. yes, our bodies are living longer than our minds. i truly believe it is our enviornment. people are now saying the cancer rate is so much higher now and we are products of this man made world. its the suffering that gets me the most. thank goodness for these boards. all my love, debbie

Old 03-08-2009, 09:19 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

dorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB User

Debbie, I am so sorry to hear about your mother-in-law. My mom also has vascular dementia. She had a series of falls before her diagnosis. Somewhere in the midst of all these falls she became confused and forgetful. I wonder just how much head trauma she had as a result? No one was ever around when she had these falls, she would tell us after and since she had no bruising we never took her seriously. Mom was very med sensitive, and she was put on a strong antibiotic and also a new combination blood pressure medication. This is when she really got sick and collapsed and was taken to the hospital, so who really knows for sure what is responsible? She does have a history of high blood pressure.

Last edited by dorri; 03-08-2009 at 09:22 AM.

Old 03-08-2009, 02:21 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

my mother also had a series of falls, but she always brusied. this last fall called for stitches in her head and that was the final blow that did her in. how sad this all is.

Old 03-08-2009, 02:44 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

dorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB User

Debbie, I'm sorry, it is sad, I understand your pain and what you're going through. A big (((((( Hug ))))))) from us all.

Old 03-09-2009, 11:54 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

thank you for all your thoughtfulness. debbie

Old 03-09-2009, 07:06 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

caringsister54 HB Usercaringsister54 HB Usercaringsister54 HB Usercaringsister54 HB Usercaringsister54 HB User

debbie g

when you described your mother (bruises, falling, etc) that was exactly my mother in January -- She passed away a total of about 5/6 weeks from the last fall.

Prayers to all of us and you too.

Love
CaringSister54

Old 03-10-2009, 01:58 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

thank you again. i will always remain scared.

Closed Thread