It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2009, 03:31 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

dorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB User
Preventing Dementia and Alzheimer's

My mom was officially diagnosed with vascular dementia. Does that mean her children or grandchildren are at higher risk?
Are our chances of developing this nasty higher?

I've read that brain stimulation is a good preventative (crosswords, wordfinds, sudoku's) In fact almost every article I read mentions these but little else.
Can anyone give me more ideas, I can see crosswords getting boring after a while.
How about accounting, budgeting, doing Income Taxes, just what is meant by true brain stimulation?
Too, which country has the lowest Dementia and Alzheimer scores? What do they do to prevent this disease from attacking their elderly?

Old 03-07-2009, 08:17 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

dorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB User
Re: Preventing Dementia and Alzheimer's

I just found another article that writes the best prevention for dementia is to live an active life both mentally and physically.

Regular moderate alcohol use may reduce the risk...huh?

Keeping blood pressure under control.

I also read a study that similac milk helps dementia but this one is still being studied.

Last edited by dorri; 03-07-2009 at 08:23 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread