It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2009, 10:56 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

DrewsG HB UserDrewsG HB UserDrewsG HB UserDrewsG HB User
Tragedy

Just when you think you can't continue with this dementia or ALZ hell we are all in something happens to show you there are worse things than wondering "How is Mom going to be today"?

My daughter-in-law is a teacher at a Christian school in a small neighboring town where yesterday the unthinkable happened and Pastor Winters was murdered during the morning prayer service. All of my Grandchildren went to preschool there for years and my DIL taught at that time also. My son and daughter are trying to explain what happened and why someone would want to hurt Pastor. Such questions should not have to be ask at such a young age but this is reality hitting us in the face. My two grandsons are 6 and our granddaughter is 9. So sheltered from all of the worlds evil but not now.Thank God we attend another church or they would have been there during Morning Worship. We were at the lake and on our way home when we got the call.

I know our lives are a mess at times and we struggle but when we look around there is always someone who is in much more pain than we can imagine as Pastor Winters family is at this time and in the years to come. Moms calls last night didn't seem to bother me as much as previous days..... I kept thinking "Thank God my children are safe".

Love,Chris

Old 03-09-2009, 11:53 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User
Re: Tragedy

i just read about that and i am horrified. maybe the kids can see a counselor to help them with their grief. nothing makes sense in this world.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-10-2009, 05:02 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

mary09 HB Usermary09 HB Usermary09 HB User

Chris,
I just saw this story on the internet.....what is going on in the world?
Thank God you and your family are safe......my heart goes out to the pastor and his family....so sad and so senseless...

Caroline

Old 03-10-2009, 06:25 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User

Wow Chris. I am so very glad that all of your children and grandchildren are ok. I did see that story. Each time I see something on the news like that I wonder if anybody that I have crossed paths with were affected. There is no way to explain the unexplainable... to adults or children.

I don't know what is going on in this world. A CNN Breaking News just hit my e-mail box saying 10 were killed in a shooting spree in Alabama today. There is way too much violence.

Grief counceling would be a good idea for the kids and the adults connected to pastor White's shooting. It's difficult to deal with the senselessness. I do understand your feelings about Mom. Sometimes larger issues but our issues in prespective. Mom's having a difficult time right now. I can see her slipping fast. But I always remember..... it could alway be worse

Love, deb

Old 03-10-2009, 07:39 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

meg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB User

Since Maryville is in my old neck of the woods I have had friends e mailing me left and right telling me about what happened. It is so hard to fathom. What drove that man to that church...why that church. Why the violence. What drives people like this. We will never comprehend it. I just have to shake my head. ....And then the phone rings, it's mom wanting to know if I have taken my grandmother's nightgowns...where are they.. what have I done with them.

My beautiful grandmother has been gone for over 30 years now but mom is searching for her gowns. Tomorrow she will be searching for something else.
When dealing with someone with this disease, the violence that shows up on the nightly news can only live in our brains for so long...we have more immediate things to deal with...

oh great...now a guy in Alabama has just shot up 10 people.

Love, Meg

Old 03-10-2009, 09:49 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

DrewsG HB UserDrewsG HB UserDrewsG HB UserDrewsG HB User

I understand so well meg about immediate things being more pressing. Mom just called and wants to know where she is and when can I take her home...........AGAIN. Until Pastor Winters funeral is over and the media is gone from the church grounds its a zoo around town. Everyone of them are here. I want to help in some way and there is nothing to do except answer the phone AGAIN and try to keep Mom calm. We'lll babysit the kids thursday so that my children can go to the wake. I wanted to do something with my husband........its our 43rd anniversary March 12 but we can go another time. We're not in the mood right now to do much celebrating. We'll have our time together in a few days. Its important for my children to grieve with their friends.

deb I'm so sorry your Mom isn't doing well. We have that in common friend, neither is Mom. How is your Dad? Still doing OK? I pray Moms decline slows down soon. I guess you just put one foot in front of the other and keep going on. Its useless to try to make sense of all the violence and the pain it leaves behind. Or why our loved ones have to suffer with these horrid diseases. I hold those that I love close and thank God for them.

Love to all,
Chris

Old 03-11-2009, 12:06 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User

I am sure life will be a zoo in town for a while Chris and then it will all go away and just the pain will be left. Yes, celebration can wait for another day. Your children need to find their closure as well. I went ahead and wrote an update on Mom and Dad. Mom is slipping and Dad is stable without the hallucinations or wandering.... for now. Sister 4 is sister 4. I have more than enough to keep me busy so I am leaving her be.

I have given up making since of anything. I just do what I can and leave the rest while trying to maintain a positive attitude. When it all gets too crazy, I get on my bicycle. I have already riden 23 miles this week. Hopefully both of our Mom's will have a better day tomorrow!

Love, deb

Old 03-11-2009, 06:03 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

caringsister54 HB Usercaringsister54 HB Usercaringsister54 HB Usercaringsister54 HB Usercaringsister54 HB User

Deb
you keep peddling, you'll reach NYC!!!

God, I wish I had your energy.

Old 03-11-2009, 06:09 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

When this is all over maybe I will just go on a country bike tour and visit all my new friends Not looking forward to the next few days of rain... and with Mom on her "I wanna go home" kick. Maybe I will buy me a punching bag!!

Love, deb

Old 03-11-2009, 06:27 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

caringsister54 HB Usercaringsister54 HB Usercaringsister54 HB Usercaringsister54 HB Usercaringsister54 HB User

Deb,
don't get a regular punching bag -- go to ToysRUs and get yourself one of those clowny punching bags that they have for kids. The fact that's its a clown will put a smile on your face, girlfriend.

Yes you should at least visit some of the new friends that were made. Maybe one day we'll all agree to meet up in NYC and take in a broadway show and dinner.

Get the clown!!!!

Love you lots
Diane (aka CaringSister54)

Old 03-11-2009, 07:22 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

I'm good with both of those ideas!! Punch the clown and dinner theater with my new friends.... does it get any better than that

Love, deb

Old 03-12-2009, 04:17 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Martha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB User

I am so sorry that your family was involved in this bizarre act. It always seems that these events are remote and do not touch our lives, until we know someone who was there, or whose church it was, etc. I am so glad your family is OK, and I hope those who were present are getting counseling to get over the trauma.

Your Mom is in good hands, so concentrate for now on the others.

Love,
Martha

Closed Thread