It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2009, 08:20 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

dorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB User
She agreed to go in to Nursing Home

My sister was able to have a communicable chat with my mom today and mom agreed to go into a Nursing Home saying herself that she needs around the clock care. She also told my sis that she knows her memory will get worse.

I am so happy because I know that this is in mom's best interest and also happy that my sister will now have peace with making the right decision for mom.

Thanks for all your support. I appreciate it.

Old 03-14-2009, 09:05 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Martha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB User
Re: She agreed to go in to Nursing Home

I hope the best possible place can be found ... good luck with everything.

Love,

Martha

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-14-2009, 09:08 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thank you Martha, I hope so too.

Old 03-14-2009, 10:03 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User

At least your sister has your Mom's voice telling her that it is ok to find placement for her in a NH. Yes, this is the right thing to do and I do hope she finds a wonderful place for Mom. Just be aware that Mom may not remember this conversation. Just hold it close and know that it is best for Mom. Hope you have a good trips to see Mom and Sister next week.

Love, deb

Old 03-14-2009, 10:28 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks Deb. Hope your parents keep well and hope you hang in there as well, as I know you will as always. Thanks again..

Old 03-14-2009, 11:05 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorri View Post
Thanks Deb. Hope your parents keep well and hope you hang in there as well, as I know you will as always. Thanks again..
I do the best I can Dorri I try to stay positive no matter what happens! I hope things go well with your Mom and your visit

Love, deb

Old 03-15-2009, 07:39 AM   #7
(male)

jmmgt HB User

As someone else said, your mom may not remember this conversation. If you feel that it's time for her to go to a NH, that is certainly what you should do.

My grandmother has been in a NH nearly 2 months,and has adapted well. She has no idea she's in a NH. She asks every day where she is. I respond that she's in the hospital, and she's satisfied with the answer. Sometimes she even thinks she's still at home and I go along with that. The term "nursing home" has negative associations so sometimes it's best not to use it when talking to our loved ones with dementia.

Joel

Old 03-15-2009, 08:24 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

DrewsG HB UserDrewsG HB UserDrewsG HB UserDrewsG HB User

So glad that those words were spoken Dorri. Its been said before....Don't be surprised if she forgets the conversation. I hope everything works out for you and your family. Safe trip and I hope all goes well on your visit.

Love, Chris

Old 03-15-2009, 10:55 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

polina HB Userpolina HB User

I think that is the key word just name the facility or place she is in as opposed to using the word "Nursing Home". I think it gets digested better when you just say oh Your in such and such place. (Name of facility) Those words Nursing Home such a negative physcological effect on their minds.

Have a nice visit next week. I do hope all goes accordingly for you!

Love Pauline

Old 03-15-2009, 01:44 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Martha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB User

We told my Mom she was in Rehab and as soon as she was able to walk again she would go home. Later she decided it was a Health Spa. She was very well treated and happy. No one ever said you are in a nursing home - somehow the older generation has a great fear of that word ...

Love,

Martha

Old 03-15-2009, 08:53 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

Dorri,

I'm so glad that this has been rsolved. IT will be so much easier on your sistet to fina place for you mom now that she knows that you mother also thinks that she needs more care. It's a tough thing to go through, but it will be better for your mother in the long run, and also for your sister..

good luck to her and you and your mom in findin gla place that you are all happy with..and I agree with the others. Your mother will probably not remember saying any of this in a few days...in fact, she may call you sister a liar!

Closed Thread