It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2009, 04:47 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User
Shunt surgery done for NPH

Hello everyone, My friend had her shunt put in last wed. according to the consult her bladder & balance should have improved right away & the dementia there was not promises. Her surgery went well & they said there was alot of fluid but it was clear & that was good.
Well thus far her there is alittle improvement with the balance & not much with the bladder. She is very quite & not her self at all since this surgery.
She looks awful & I am worried once again. I have never seen her look so bad. I undestand she may have to recover some but she just dont look good. Everyone is worried about how she looks & how she is acting. Of course I did not expect her to come out feeling great after surgery like this but she is not herself at all, its like she is a different person. I hope this passes.
She was eating great before surgery now she barely eats. I keep asking her if she is in pain & she keeps saying no. We just let her rest & just keep a close eye on her. She has done some strange things such as at times she wont bend her knees to sit, its like she cant figure out how. she also chews her meds, which she started right before surgery.
I keep thinking perhaps there is inflammation due to the surgery & there for still some pressure somewhere.
She is getting homecare with the nurse & PT, OT & of course has care throughout the day.
Please does anyone know if this is normal? Can this take sometime here?

Her husband is now concerned about the medication Namenda which she is on x2 daily. He has read some things about it & wants to have her off of it & see how she does. The nurse & I both told him not right away but to wait for her to recover some from this surgery.
I would appreciate anyone sharing anything they know about this procedure & recovery. I am really concerned here. Bless you all, Sammy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-24-2009, 06:20 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User
Re: Shunt surgery done for NPH

Surgery is always traumatic, especially to elderly patients, and even more so to elderly patients with any level of cognitive disfuction. If you are overly concerned with her appearance or the way she is acting then you need to bring that up with her nurses and physicians.

My understanding is that you should see the improvement from the surger rather quickly. Not necessarily as soon as they wake up, but within a few weeks. It is also important to remember that not all symptoms will vanish just because the pressure is released. Some may have become permenant or may be cause by another condition.

So talk to her doctor and be patient... your friend has just had brain surgery.

love, deb

Old 03-25-2009, 05:36 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User
Re: Shunt surgery done for NPH

I must say even her homecare staff, OT, PT & nurse are aliitle surprised that there is not more improvement as they thought the bladder & balance should have improved more so also. I am still hopeful & she will have a CT friday. This just is not what we expected according to her surgeon those areas would improve right away. I think she had this along time & was wondering the same, what kind of damage could there be? you know.
She seems so different. Her nurse is going to ask the doctor about trying to go without the namenda soon.
She does not want to take her meds at all & it has been really hard to get her to take them. I think you are right she is just tired & needs her rest as far as her appearance goes. She has been through so much just in the last yr. Thank you so much for taking time out, this is confusing & I appreciate your input. Sammy

Closed Thread