It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2009, 03:20 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User
leaning and eating with dementia

has anyone heard about leaning to a certain side when it comes to dementia? my mother all of a sudden just leans to her right side when she is sitting. i looked it up and all i found was that it could be mini strokes. also, my mother is falling asleep more now during the day. the nurse today fed her lunch while my mothers eyes were closed almost asleep. i was totally shocked at this. i kept trying to wake up my mother, but she wouldnt wake up. the nurse finally got her up after my mother was done eating. all my mom would do during lunch was open her mouth and try to swallow. does dementia make one sleep?

Old 04-16-2009, 03:29 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Martha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB User
Re: leaning and eating with dementia

My mother in law had similar symptoms and it turned out to be a brain tumor. She did not have dementia. The tumor was already far advanced and she died 12 weeks later. I would have an MRI done of her head.

Martha

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-16-2009, 11:12 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User

Neither of my parents lean but my grandmother did later in the disease. It was like her internal gyroscope was slightly off. I have noticed recently that Mom will shut her eyes when she is confused, aggitated, or frustrated. She is not asleep, just shuts her eyes, as if it will shut out the confusion. The first time I noticed it was actually in the dinning room.... and she refused to eat. She did fine the next meal. Both mom and Dad sleep more now than they did just a few months ago. Dad is mostly vascular related. His O2 level is low which makes him tired. His dementia is worse which also makes him tired. Mom's is a combination of deepening confusion and medication. But they are both wakeable.

Your best bet is to check with her physician and see if he thinks it is necessary to check for other problems.

Love, deb

Old 04-17-2009, 04:43 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

caringsister54 HB Usercaringsister54 HB Usercaringsister54 HB Usercaringsister54 HB Usercaringsister54 HB User

when my mother was agitated, she would kinda immidate hyper-ventilate and then seem to "pass out". She would do this multiple time per day. In the beginning my sister would jump up and stroke her cheek while calling her or tapping her on the cheek or shoulder.

We also found that mother would sit at the table and eat with her eyes closed. Sister thought she was doing it to be stubborn. We never told the doctors these things because I felt that Sister knew what was happening and was right.

After reading this, now I have my doubts. Doesn't matter Mother's gone. I'm sorry to say that I certainly am not missing her but feel bad for Sister who may be missing her alot. She said she misses her but certainly doesn't miss all the work that came from taking care of her. and I can see that there is a difference in her. I'm just trying hard to make sure that she doesn't stay home alone so long that my cousins all take advantage of her in asking her to run their parents back and forth to doctor appointments for whatever. My Sister certainly doesn't need to be a caregiver to anyone else but herself.

Old 04-17-2009, 07:22 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

polina HB Userpolina HB User

When my Mom was home and would sit at the table to eat I did see her at times eating with her eyes closed. This mostly always happened at dinner time meal. It was usually because my dad forced her to come to the table to eat even though she said she wasn't hungry. He tries to force her to eat all the time. So she would sit their eating with her eyes closed. I assumed she was doing it to shut out my dad because she was angry he made her come and eat. I notice now at times when I go visit her at the rehab she will be sitting up in a chair one minute awake the next minute completely asleep. They seem to be able to shut on and off very quickly at times. I do believe they shut out the world by closing there eyes to situations or events that make them stressed or uncomfortable.
Maybe I should try that!!!!
Love Pauline

Old 04-17-2009, 07:50 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

meg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB User

A few weeks ago I took mom to lunch and she started to comment on the immense size of a woman sitting at the table next to us. I knew what she was about to say so I asked her to not comment. She continued so I gently scolded her to stop and just dring her tea...
she then did something that cracked me up.

She closed her eyes real tight and moved her head back and forth and said in a sing song manner.." I can't see you".
It was really funny. I told her to behave and she did but this post brought back what she had done. I guess it is like a kid thinking if I can't see you then you can't see me.

Love, Meg

Old 04-17-2009, 02:21 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User

i guess i would like to close my eyes when things go wrong and keep them closed for a long time. thanks everyone.

Old 04-19-2009, 04:00 AM   #8
(female)

mentalmum08 HB User

Hi Debbie,
I just got home last night from edinburgh - my monthly stint of looking after my mum for a week. She has been leaning to the right for about 4months. It was worse this time. Also, she sleeps like your mum. We just feed her in this state like the nurses with your mum. At first it bothered me, but now i just go through the motions. When I got her into the wheelchair to put her to bed i had to get my brother to help support her. She was falling completely out of the chair on her right side. I think it's the deterioration in her condition. She just lies in bed all day. Totally incontinent. She rants and swears at times, mumbles incomplete words and sentences. She takes swipes to hit us. Even tries to bite us. Hey-ho. Take care just take it on the chin. I know it's hard. My love and thoughts are with you.

sandra xoxo

Old 04-19-2009, 01:40 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

thank you sandra. how horrible this disease is.

Closed Thread