It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2009, 08:57 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

jagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB User
your opinion please..IT WORKED!!

So I was wondering,,, we all seem to have problems with our loved ones calling us, sometimes they are abusive sometimes they just want to reach out, I have many times needed to change the subject with my mom or change the direction of a conversation....I am thinking that maybe I will get some little things like maybe a card or hand soap or a magazine or perhaps new socks and wrap them up and hide them in her house...so only I can find them, and then when I need to distract mymom I will say "oh by the way could you look in so and so and see if I left something there...." It would be a wonderful kind of surprise and I don't know about your loved ones but my mom loves little gifts, very much like a child.... what do you guys think of this plan????

Last edited by jagsmu; 05-11-2009 at 10:15 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-26-2009, 12:21 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User
Re: your opinion please

That's an excellent idea Jags. You should definitely give it a try. If your Mom is able to follow your direction it would work beautifully. There are times that might work with Mom but sometimes I know it wouldn't. I tried to get her to check the freezer to see if there was ice cream remaining and she was unable to do that. Her ability to process what she hears is failing fast. Yet I am going to tuck something special in a special place and see if I can use it.

We have discovered that there is a whirlpool tub at the new facility. It is just a few rooms down from Mom's and Dad's apartment. I suggested they let Mom use it when she was aggitated. Mom loves a whirlpool tub!! So next time she's aggitated I will just call the facility and they will do the rest Perhaps that's the best gift I can give her.

Let us know how it works for you Jags

Love, deb

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-26-2009, 09:29 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Martha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB User

Sounds like a good idea. Make the hiding places very obvious. Maybe she will get distracted, maybe not. It's all trial and error in this field.

Love,
Martha

Old 04-26-2009, 10:41 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User

i believe in trying anything you can. when i visit my mom in the nh, i stash little trinkets in my purse. when i need to change the conversation, i show her these things. i bring costume jewlery, pictures, etc.

Old 04-26-2009, 09:11 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User

....... and if it doesn't work today it might tomorrow

Love, deb

Old 05-11-2009, 10:13 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

jagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB User

IT WORKED....last time I was at my moms I stashed a few little things in very obvious spots around the house, It has worked really well, the first I used was some hand cream, I was talking to my mom and she was a little down so I told her to go look on the TV shelf while I kept on the phone.. I could hear her squeel with glee as she discovered the cream, even though my dad had to help find it and open it, on mothers day I phoned and told her to go look in the computor room, right infront of the computer I had left a package for her, off she went and found the package of new underwear, another squeel of enjoyment, such little things and it made her so happy...so for you who want to try this, the items must be in a very obvious place and a big ribbon helps locate the item.... the next thing I have hidden is a card with a chocolate inside.... I can hardly wait to steer her towards it.....

judy

Last edited by jagsmu; 05-11-2009 at 10:13 AM.

Closed Thread