It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2009, 06:39 AM   #46
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User
Re: Found an Adult Family Home with a view!!

No fun tracking down computer problems with a zapped machine. Been there done that one. Sorry about the palm but at least for a few seconds it was twinkling like the christmas to come at your house

Love, deb

Old 09-22-2009, 10:13 AM   #47
Veteran
(female)

TC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB User

A L OOOOOOO HA!!!!!!!!!!! Hi my Alz's pals!!!!!!! I'm back from the big island............wish I were still there..............{{{sigh}}}........... .....it was so incredible. If you haven't been to the "big island" which they now politically correctly call just "Hawaii" I highly recommend it!!! My BF is an adventurous one, so we saw tons of the island. Drove over 850 miles..........went from north to south............east to west..............we did it!

Traveling with him can tire me out, but I get to see so many wonderful things that I wouldn't have otherwise. Luckily, our good friends have a timeshare in Waikaloa and they scheduled a trip that overlapped ours, so the last night we stayed with them, went out to a fabulous meal, and I FINALLY got in that gorgeous ocean water and snorkeled for the first time I now have a new "happy place" I can go to in my mind's eye anytime I want...........it's looking out from Waipio Valley onto the ocean............back down the coastline.............back out to the ocean................we stayed in a house that sits atop the cliff at the top of Waipio Valley the first 4 nights. Thank goodness this was so wonderful because the next 2 nights we stayed at a military camp in the National Volcano Park (my BF is in the Air Force Reserves) that was INFESTED with ants. I can take a few ants, but I'm talkin' INFESTED. EWWWWW!! That's okay though. I saw such beauty there I could put up with a few ants for a couple of nights My BF is great at researching places / things / etc...........he is an engineer afterall! Anyway - I thought of all of you - prayed for all of you - am so happy this formally fearful flyer is back in the air!!!! Deb - Colorado sounds lovely right now! Colorado is one of my BF's favorite places. He used to go every year for training for his job.

If I could have, I would have taken all of you with me, but really, you were all there Wish me luck - today my mom and I are going to tell my DSD that he is not going home, but moving to an assisted living facility. I am rested, rejuvenated, ready to jump back into dementia land. I now see the importance of stepping away from all of this from time to time. We caretakers gotta catch our breath! Sorry about the lightning strike Meg. Glad all is okay! Will write more after the big talk with my DSD! Mahalo everybody for all of your love & support

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-22-2009, 10:19 AM   #48
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User

WOW TC I can just feel the energy in you!! Isn't it wonderful when you finally get that much need space from this disease and truly renew you spirit. I know exactly how you feel. And...... isn't Hawaii wonderful. We were on another island but the experience was much the same. My daughter's boyfriend (who was a native of Oahu) took us all over the island. And... snorkeling!!! I am in love with it. After a difficult couple of weeks you just brought back a flood of memories that I needed this morning. Thank you Thank you!! I am so very happy for you that you had this time away.

Kudos on the decision to tell the DSD that he is headed for AL. It's a difficult decision, but if are like we were, once it is made it's a relief. Even though rough days of adjustment might be ahead, at least the decision has been made. I will keep you all in my thoughts and prayers that it goes well for you

Love, deb

Old 09-22-2009, 11:40 AM   #49
Senior Veteran
(female)

Martha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB User

Going to Hawaii is on my 'bucket list" (10 things to do before I kick the bucket.) Now if only my budget would cooperate ...

Glad you're back and full of enthusiasm!

Love,

Martha

Last edited by Martha H; 09-22-2009 at 11:40 AM.

Old 09-23-2009, 04:46 AM   #50
Senior Veteran
(female)

polina HB Userpolina HB User

TC
Welcome Back
Isn't hawaii the best!!! I used to go every year for about 10 years. I miss it so much!!! My situation has changed financial that I do get out there anymore. I just loved it I even went one year at christmas time that was the best! The people are so warm and inviting. I can just smell the air now. That used to be what I loved the most was when we would land at the airport and you could just smell the sweet hawaiian flowers. Now you have the energy to face anything after being there it gives you a whole new refreshed perspective on things back here.

Aloha Tc

Old 09-23-2009, 09:44 AM   #51
Veteran
(female)

TC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB User

Oh Polina how awesome that you were able to go once a year for 10 years I hadn't been since I was 13, and I will turn 46 next week, so that was a long time to wait! It was a week of my life I will always treasure. I hope Polina, Martha & all my Alz's pals can find their way to Hawaii either in reality or in your spirit That is my wish for all of you today.

Well, I had the BIG TALK with my DSD yesterday and it went very well. My mom basically let me do the talking and, I don't know if it was the Hawaii trip that rejuvenated me or what, but I did pray before I went into the facility to talk to him. I prayed for the right words - at the right time. I often do this (well, I pray alot anyway) and it really really helps. He was receptive, understood what was happening, was concerned about their house (were we going to sell it?), also wanted to know how much parking there was (very sweet as he hasn't driven in over a year now but was concerned about parking for his truck).

I assured him we're not selling the house at this time - that there was parking for their car (my mom chimed in & reminded him he doesn't drive any longer - wish she would have left that out, but oh well...........) - and that none of this was permanent. That this was the next step and that it wasn't safe for he and mom to return to live in their house with-all-the-stairs-on-the-hillside-where-he-took-tons-of-falls-last-year.

He's happy to know he's going to be moving out of "dementialand" as I now call it! Cognitively at this point in time he doesn't belong there (he did when he arrived from the hospital in July, but now he belongs on the higher functioning dementia unit if he were staying long term at the skilled nursing facility), so it's all working out. I realize there is much more to come as we travel this world of dementialand, but for now, he and mom can live together again and be well cared for. YIPPEEE!! The movers are scheduled for Oct 1st. My DSD will be discharged Oct 2nd, and then I will celebrate my birthday Oct 3rd.

Question - should I start a new thread? Is this one getting too tattered and worn? Opinions?? Sending up a big ol' prayer of gratitude for my Alz's pals on this GORGEOUS day here in the Pacific Northwest! We hit a high of 85 yesterday!?! Pretty unusual for this late in September.

Old 09-23-2009, 09:47 AM   #52
Veteran
(female)

Just a PS to DGab.............thank you for the "Rocky Road cake" comment. When I felt really scared boarding the plane, or on the plane, I repeated that to myself. It REALLY helped, so thank you

Old 09-23-2009, 11:40 PM   #53
Senior Veteran
(female)

You are welcome TC... Glad something gave you a little comfort....

And for your discussion with your Dad... YIPPEEEE!!!! I am so glad he was receptive to the idea. Now be sure to remind him frequently. Keep reinforcing the postive and in a couple of weeks it will all be done. There may be a little rocky adjustment as they get used to their new surroundings but so very glad you got the agreement you needed. Now it's just the lifting you have have to accomplish. Good luck and I hope it continues to go so smoothly..

I will keep you all in my thoughts and prayers.

Love, deb

PS... yep I think a trip away does give you a renewed spirit that makes it easier to tackle the world!!!

Old 09-24-2009, 03:57 AM   #54
Senior Veteran
(female)

polina HB Userpolina HB User

Tc
Something about going away makes it easier to handle things back here when you get back. I went away for 3 days in August to Maine and could not believe how just those 3 days made me feel. So refreshed and able to take on anything.
I am so glad things are going in the right direction for everyone. It is a hard transition to go from home to facility. It takes a lot of hard work but it can be done. It takes a lot of adjusting in the beginning for all. It can be done. It will get better. I never thought so with my mom. She is in Long term facility since May and she was the biggest HOME person I ever knew. LOVED her HOME. Now these days she is content where she is. Every so often she will say something about I don't know when they are going to let me go home? I tell her when you can walk better they will. So keep up the physical therapy. It might be false hope but I know in 5 minutes she has forgotten what I told her. Plus, I figure it gives her a goal to work on each day with the physical therapy. Although at this point she really doesn't do to much. Pretty much wheel chair bound after falling and fx her hip.

I wish you all the best with the transition

love pauline

Last edited by polina; 09-24-2009 at 03:59 AM.

Closed Thread