It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2009, 09:22 PM   #16
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User
Re: Yet another crazy hospital vist.

Yet another update...

I talked to the hospital rep today. Evidently the chart indicated that the neurologist ordered the medication Dad received. I explained to the rep that the neurologist was surprised the IV was in place and not happy that his head injury patient was that sedated. Yet the charts say he ordered the medication. So she was going to speak with him. The chart did indicate, when Dad left the ER for the Cardiac observation, that he was to continue on his oral medication. I am wondering if the neurologist meant for Dad to have an oran ativan and the nurse just assumed IV.

I told the rep regardless of the first dose, Dad was so sedated by the time the second dose was given that it was unnecessary. I ask if all three doses were prescribed were PRN and they were. So it was up to the nurse to determine if the dosage was needed and she didn't do that.

Also the neurologist wrote for them to observe vitals. They did just the BP, pulse, and O2 levels. I ask her if a nurse who was observing a patient with a cranial bleed shouldn't include the neurological vitals as part of vitals. She didn't have an answer.

The rest of this should be interesting because it is obvious there is enough blame to go around and nobody was using common sense.

Dad appears much more frail than he did before he went to the hospital. He is sleeping more and falling more. The staff is trying their best to be right by his side as soon as he tries to stand up but occassionally it can't happen. I don't want to stop Dad if he's still willing to try. But I should know more after the PT eval.

Nope, it's never ending. Mom's seems to have stabalized and Dad's occupying my time!

Love, deb

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread