It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2009, 03:10 PM   #1
(female)

aras HB Useraras HB Useraras HB Useraras HB User
Question vitamin B12 and alzheimers symptoms

Hello all
I just read an article in a health news letter that says that low B12 can have the same symptoms as Alz. That high doses of B12 can head off dementia in early stages. Has anyone had there loved one tested for B12 deficency? If anyone has information on this, I would be very interested in what you could tell me. I am thinking of asking mom's primary care doctor to test for B12 deficency. I know that if you don't eat meat you could be low in B12 and mom had gotten to the point when still at home she didn't care for meat that much. I await your reply.
love to all
Gail

Old 11-11-2009, 03:42 PM   #2
(female)

JLR23 HB User
Re: vitamin B12 and alzheimers symptoms

My Mom has been having monthly B-12 shots for the past few years. I don't know if it has slowed her AD, but she has gotten progressively worse. She was just diagnosed. I was hoping she had a thyroid or B-12 problem, but she did not. Those tests were fine.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-11-2009, 04:06 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Martha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB User

Dear Gail,

I hope it is a vitamn deficiency - that could be reversed! Dementia cannot. I hope the doctors find a curable problem, that would be wnderful. My Mom ate plenty of meat, and also daily supplements. I doubt if any vitamin deficiency had an effect on her getting Dementia.

Love,
Martha

Old 11-11-2009, 04:33 PM   #4
(female)

Lizzie62 HB User

My FIL was just prescribed B12 shots, hopefully it will help. I'll let you all know if there is marked improvement.

Love

"Life is Beautiful" Sixx:AM

Old 11-11-2009, 08:10 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

meg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB User

My mother has Alzs. and gets monthly B12 shots...at one point there was an anccidental 4 month lapse of the shots and we could really tell the difference! I stay on them now to make sure that doesn't happen again.

Love, Meg

Old 11-11-2009, 09:51 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User

Mom has no B-12 deficiency nor does Dad and they both have dementia. Yes, as Martha said, B-12 deficiency can be fixed but dementia can not.

If B-12 would fix dementia I am sure there would be a shortage!!

Love Deb

Old 11-12-2009, 07:09 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

DrewsG HB UserDrewsG HB UserDrewsG HB UserDrewsG HB User

Mom had B-12 deficiency and she had dementia. I took her for shots for years. The dementia came later in her life. So from my experience it did not stop the dementia. I could tell the difference in her energy if a shot was over looked for some reason. Usually a hospital stay and a long recovery from a surgery and then her Dr. would catch the delay.

There was so much to remember with Mom's health issues.

Love, Chris

Old 11-12-2009, 07:29 AM   #8
(female)

aras HB Useraras HB Useraras HB Useraras HB User
Smile Re: vitamin B12 and alzheimers symptoms

The news letter implied that some people who have been diagnosed with Alzheimers may not have it but a severe shortage of vitamin B12. It's that both Alz. and severe lack of B12 can show the same symptoms. Many people have Alzheimers and Vascular dementia from various causes but it is possible that some people just had a blanket diagnosis thrown over them and never had their B12 checked. The newsletter said that large doses of B12 would be needed to head off dementia or if it was advanced it could still improve conditions related to dementia. Thanks for the information and I will report on what the doctor says when I see him next week.
Love
Gail

Old 11-12-2009, 12:13 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User

Chris... remember your mom's smiling face! I still marvel at how diligent you were with all your mom's medical problem and hope I can do as well. That is what I remember.... I loving, caring, diligent daughter who made sure that Mom's needs were addressed promptly.

Love, Deb

Old 11-12-2009, 03:25 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

dorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB User

My mom had her levels tested when her behavior started to change, and the results came out normal.

Old 11-13-2009, 06:33 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

DrewsG HB UserDrewsG HB UserDrewsG HB UserDrewsG HB User

Dear Deb,

Thank you so much for your kind words. Yes, I remember her smiling face and how very sweet she was during her dementia years. Also, thanks to my grief counselor, I remember how much she tried to stay here with her daughters and how exhausted I was in the end. Grief is terrible and its hard work. I've finally been able to let go of my guilt for not being able to "fix" Moms dementia. It was her time. She is with her Lord and her family and I will see her again. Her suffering is over.

I miss her more than I can express in words but I can now think of my sweet Mom with a smile instead of tears and be grateful that I had her as long as we did. She was a "one of a kind" person to everyone she knew.

Its been almost 5 months since Mom died and thank God I can type that without one tear falling.

Today my sisters and I are celebrating their birthdays. We're headed to St. Louis for a great lunch and of course shopping!!! Hope my knee holds out. LOL

Love to all,
Chris

Old 11-13-2009, 06:56 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Martha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB User

I am a so happy for you Chris, that you are adjusting to your loss and getting on with your life. Keep up the good work.

My Mom passed away in 12/07 and when her birthday came in October I had fleeting thoughts of ''too bad she is no longer with us." Then I remembered what her life was like at the end, and was glad she is not here and confused and unhappy and worried and incapable but in a better place, free and happy.

Love,

Martha

Old 11-13-2009, 07:26 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

dorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB User

Chris, hope you all have a nice time and celebrate not only birthdays but life itself.

Hugs to ya

lv
dorri

Old 11-13-2009, 10:56 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

You brought a smile to my face Chris Yes, grief is hard work and you have to go through it in your own time and in your own way. I hope you have a fabulous lunch and find much to buy! Smile and celebrate life. Yours, your Mom's , and your sister's!!!

It is so good to hear that you are doing well. Know I keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Love, deb

Closed Thread