It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2010, 06:59 AM   #1
(male)

DannyTX HB User
Prescription Food / and or Coconut Oil

My mother stumbled onto an ad for a “prescription food” for Alzheimer’s. If I understand the board rules I cannot name the product by name. I would guess that some of you might know the product I am talking about. It is a powder substance that is taken with food once a day. However, it is by prescription only, and I think it is about $100 a month. My research on the product looks like it is worth trying.

I was wondering if anybody here knows what I am referring to and have tried it?

Another thing I found -----In my online research for this product I stumbled onto a very long report by a doctor in Florida. Her husband had early onset AD. She started giving him several tablespoons of coconut oil a day and had miraculous results. She made it clear that it was non-hydrogenated coconut oil. I think several times she referred to it as virgin coconut, or extra virgin coconut oil. Do a little research on Alzheimer’s and coconut oil and you will find her report.

Have any of you tried coconut oil? This patient had such miraculous results that my mom is going to get my dad on this today!!! It is at the health food stores, if not the bigger grocery stores, and is cheap, and doesn’t require a prescription.

Last edited by DannyTX; 01-15-2010 at 07:00 AM.

Old 01-15-2010, 07:29 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User
Re: Prescription Food / and or Coconut Oil

Danny, neither of these remedies were tried with either of my parents but I can tell you that Mom's internet research and search of ads sent her into a buying frenzy of products that touted miraculous results for her dementia. All we got for the efforts were credit card bills, expensive pee, and parents that are advanced in their dementia. We also got emotional upset on her part when the claims of a cure did not come to fruition.

With the epidemic of dementia in our society today, do you think a miracle cure would be hidden on the back pages of an internet search? There are many reasons for the "miracle cure" you have found. Perhaps it was not dementia to start with. Perhaps it's falsified claims. Perhaps it's wishful thinking. What I do know is that everybody is reaching for that miracle cure and will grab hold of whatever they believe will help. It's a form of denial. So be careful when buying a $100 powder made from 2 cents worth of ingredients that claims to cure a disease that is so far incurable. I wish I could tell you that one of those dozens of products that promised a cure did anything for Mom... but they didn't!

I do understand the need to do something to make it better. That is human nature. The best thing you can do is make sure the medical and financial Power of Attorney's are done. Make sure you have an accurate diagnosis and the symptoms are not caused by some other medical condition. Then have a plan for the future. I you want to try the product go for it... but have an alternate plan for the future because you will probably need it

Love, deb

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-15-2010, 12:46 PM   #3
(male)

DannyTX HB User

Deb, Thank you so much for your feedback.

I am the only close family member that knows about my dad's condition that uses the internet. I am looking real hard for any help or therapy that I can find that can help my dad, or my mom as the caregiver.

What you said makes all the sense in the world. If this $100 "prescription food" was any good it would be advertised during NFL games.

The coconut oil and that doctor in Florida is what intrigued me. As far as I can tell she has nothing to sell and is not advertising anything. She just wrote this very long report on her husband's condition and what the coconut oil did for him. A search for that story will probably turn up the condensed version. I found the very long detailed report on another site, and I wouldn't know how to properly direct anybody on here to it. As you can see I have reprimands by my sign on name. I read a lot on here, but no more often than I post I have gotten to the point that I go back and read the posting rules every time I post so that maybe I won't break any more rules.

Thank you again for your valuable feedback!

Old 01-15-2010, 01:46 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Martha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB User

Good heavens! Do not waste your hard earned money! If coconut oil or any 'prescription food' cured Alzhemer's, do you think any of us would be here tearing our hair out by the roots trying to deal with it in our loved ones? Someone out there is trying to make a huge profit out of our misery.

Such people always say "doctors won't tell you" or "medical science is trying to suppress this, " but that is nonsense. The discoverer of such a cure would be a Nobel Prize winner. Not a sleazy ad man with falsified testimonies.

Save your money.

Martha

Last edited by Martha H; 01-15-2010 at 01:49 PM. Reason: misplaced apostrophe

Old 01-15-2010, 03:29 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

kenbob71 HB Userkenbob71 HB Userkenbob71 HB Userkenbob71 HB Userkenbob71 HB User

Danny, all of these "miracle cure" claims just infuriate me. All they do is offer false hope, then later on the let down makes it all so much worse.

Best of luck, and hopefully someday there will be a miracle cure. I just don't want you all to be building up your hopes for something that is not going to happen.

K

Old 01-15-2010, 06:08 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User

Sometimes it's the notarial they get or the hopes of selling a book that spurs on these stories. Sometimes it is that they believe what they say when in fact there was something very different going on and they just attributed it to the coconut oil or whatever. Something as simple as a UTI can created symptoms that mimic dementia. So you think it's dementia, you give them coconut oil, and the doctor treats them for a UTI and they are cured.

All I know is that Mom ordered and took enough miracle cures to taint the city sewer system and she slid down the slipper slope of Alzheimer's at record speed. Nothing made a pennies worth of difference.

Yes, these claims annoy me as well because they are giving false hope to those that truly need to wrap their heads around the reality of the situation. The reality is that right now, at this point in time, there is no cure. It will only get worse and we have to plan for that... not put our hopes on some charlatan claim. I am sure the cure will not have to be searched out. In the mean time go enjoy your father, prepare for what is to come, and hope that one day you see the real cure on the 7 PM national news

Love, deb

Old 07-13-2010, 01:16 AM   #7
(female)

gilmoregirl HB User

I have read that story about the woman whose husband has an alzheimers disease. i am really impressed with the story and am hopeful that something as cheap , natural and simple as VCO can really cure such a seemingly hopeless disease. well i cannot say for sure that it is true and maybe it will work for some but will not work for others. but i think if i were in the woman's shoes, i would try the vco remedy. besides i have nothing to lose in trying it and there are no side effects.

Old 07-13-2010, 03:53 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Martha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB User

If coconut oil is cheap, no harm done. I will believe the person had a miraculous improvment when I see before and after videos, and even those can be faked.

I do not believe any 'research' carried out by the seller of a product. Research that counts is carried out by scientists in a controlled setting. Otherwise, you may be seeing actors, and reading made up testimonials. Do not let them separate you from all your money -- if there were really a food or drug which helped Alzheimer's, it would be on the front page news, not something you have to search for.

By the way, almost all sellers of odd products (often worthless) use the same kind of language: 'things they don't want you to know, ' 'your doctor will never tell you this', 'secret formula handed down,' and 'new from Europe." (in Europe it is touted as 'new from America!)

Sadly, in a pretty hopeless situation, we are only too willing to grasp at any straw.

Love,
Martha

Last edited by Martha H; 07-13-2010 at 08:34 AM.

Old 07-13-2010, 07:49 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

I agree with Martha 100%. I watched Mom take every concoction touted as a "cure" and nothing "improved" her situation.

If it was truly a cure for dementia or would make it significantly better.... why would it be hidden on the back page of the internet? There are billions of dollars being spent on dementia research. Why would that be so if we could just drink a little coconut juice?

Yes, at this time this is a hopeless disease. The medical community can not give us a magic pill to make it go away or even make it better. We want to "fix" it, so it is easy to jump on the claims of the snake oil salesman. There have always been these snake oil salesmen praying on the anxiety created when there is no cure. They promise the moon and deliver nothing while separating you from your money.

As humans we need and want hope. No harm done except smashed hopes when it doesn't work....

Love, deb

Last edited by Gabriel; 07-13-2010 at 07:50 AM.

Closed Thread