It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2011, 01:33 PM   #1
(female)

sunbelle HB Usersunbelle HB Usersunbelle HB User
Swollen ankles post stroke

Mom had stroke 2 months ago
Now both her ankles are really swollen.
I hear edema is common after stroke

Any one familiar with this suituation?

Thanks
Chris

Old 01-27-2011, 06:46 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User
Re: Swollen ankles post stroke

Edema can be caused but any number of things. Mom has swollen ankles from time to time. Hers is probably because she is wandering the entire time she is awake. It can also be caused but sitting and not standing. We are designed to sit a while and stand a while and when you do one of the other too long it can cause edema in the ankles. Too much salt in the diet can also cause edema.

Medications such as vasodilators that open the blood vessels, NSAID's such as tylenol, and some diabetic medications can have a side effect of edema. Illnesses that can cause edema as a symptom are congestive heart failure, kidney disease, liver disease, lymphatic compromise, or damage to the leg veins.

It is caused when the blood vessels leak fluid. I have had Mom checked out several times by the doctor and he didn't seem overly concerned due to the amount of walking that she does. We have reduced her sodium intake.

It is more than likely caused by immobility if she is non ambulatory from the s stroke... or could be cause by some medication they are giving her to thin the blood or dilate the vessels. I would suggest that you check with the doctor to make sure everything is ok

Love, deb

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-28-2011, 07:00 AM   #3
(female)

sunbelle HB Usersunbelle HB Usersunbelle HB User

HI Deb,

Thanks ,once again, for your advice!
She is in wheelchair most of the day. I have asked caregivers to get her up on walker on occasion.
Last time , this happened, dr put her on diruretics
It depleted her postassium and sodium, so dr took her off.

She has history of heart problems, and is 89..so we have to be careful
If it continues,, then off to dr

Thanks
Chris

Old 01-28-2011, 10:38 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User

Diuretics will do that and if she truly doesn't need them for other problems then they are not such a good idea. She doesn't need to be in the wheel chair most of the day. Getting her up for a short walk will help but putting her in bed for a few hours a couple of times a day will also help.

You may not have to take her to the doctor... perhaps a call would be sufficient. Also, you might want to ask for a physical therapy consultation. No, it is not going to get her on her feet or help her become more independent, but the physical therapy could help with the swelling just by the physical therapist working with her and maintain her current level of mobility. They could also write the necessary instruction for your Mom's position to be changed frequently to prevent the edema Just a thought! I had PT for Dad just to maintain his leg strength. He didn't "improve" so they would stop the PT. I would ask for a consult again and it would start again only to be stopped again because he was not "improving". But I knew the idea was to maintain not to improve so I was happy to request another consult!! Sometimes you have to manipulate the professional system as well as the patient hehe!

Love, deb

Closed Thread