It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2011, 10:23 AM   #1
(female)

Older student HB User
Incontinence issues

Hi, I think my mother is at the stage where Depends are becoming necessary. She still can respond to urges, but I am noticing she is having more difficulty in getting to the toilet in time and cleaning herself afterward. She only reluctantly accepts the use of the pads, but one of us, or her aide, needs to check it and assist in placing in her underwear.

Any suggestions as to how to introduce the Depends? I don't think my mother will be open to this right now.

Thanks for any ideas.
Susan

Old 02-26-2011, 12:15 PM   #2
(female)

snoopy220 HB User
Re: Incontinence issues

Susan,

I would share with the caregiver the need for her to use the Depends. I would buy a bag, and leave them in her bedroom or the bathroom. Maybe the caregiver knows a tactful way to introduce them to her. My mother began using the pads when she would cough or sneeze she would release urine. When her dementia advanced, it was no longer a problem putting the Depends on.

Does she have any issues during the night soiling the bedclothes?

~Liz

The Following User Says Thank You to snoopy220 For This Useful Post:
Older student (02-26-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-26-2011, 06:54 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User

Susan, with Mom I just replaced her underwear with the light weight pull ups that fit. She didn't have an option. I didn't discuss it or make a to do about it. They just appeared. She did ask about them once and I told her they were her new underwear since her old ones were worn out... and let it go at that. She was no problem to get into the pull ups when there was nothing else to wear

So don't discuss it. Don't give her an opportunity to "not go for it". You just make them, and only them available, and they wear them. At least it worked for Mom She might be happy to be rid of the pads!

Love, deb

The Following User Says Thank You to Gabriel For This Useful Post:
Older student (02-26-2011)
Old 02-27-2011, 03:39 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Beginning HB UserBeginning HB UserBeginning HB UserBeginning HB UserBeginning HB UserBeginning HB UserBeginning HB UserBeginning HB UserBeginning HB UserBeginning HB User

I did the same thing as DGabriel - bought the pull-up kind, and gave them to DH instead of regular underwear. DH doesn't like them, and will poke at them to indicate displeasure (especially when he pees, and the pull-up is heavy!).

We tried to supplement the pull-up with keeping DH on a regular schedule of trips to the bathroom, including as soon as waking up and when going to bed. It minimized the number of changes during the day.

With a woman there are sometimes medical reasons for needing the pull-up other than Alzheimers. You can try telling her that they're temporary to help with a little urinary infection or something else, to ease her into them.

The Following User Says Thank You to Beginning For This Useful Post:
Older student (02-28-2011)
Old 03-08-2011, 11:40 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB User

In our case, we used the fact that my father-in-law forgot a lot. We started the diaper on him in 2007. Well you don't tell her that it is a diaper. You should just tell her it is an adult undergarment and she would think it is underwear. This requires that she has very poor memory to understand it.
Also the caregivers have to be able to change it once a day at least and check her bottom and give her lotion to make sure it has no rash and etc.

Hope this helps,
NC

The Following User Says Thank You to ninamarc For This Useful Post:
Older student (03-08-2011)
Closed Thread