It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2011, 05:53 PM   #1
(female)

kadybug30 HB User
Alzheimer's and statin link

I am opening a new thread because the one I was interested in had been closed.
I know there is research currently that alzheimer's may be treated with statins. However, it is my personal opinion that statins caused my dad's dementia, polymyalgia and now alzheimers. Polymyalgia caused a complete muscle meltdown so to speak! My father went from being a vibrant entertaining and active man to a shell of who he once was. It all started with the statins. First he was weak then it was pain and then could hardly move; he was diagnosed with polymyalgia, the doctor mentioned it could be a "rare" side effect from the statin...HE IS STILL ON THEM! For God's sake shouldn't we stop them? To see if he improved? The statins, once again in my opinion, are NOT a life or death drug!!!!!!!!!!!
Then the dementia came on...lil things at first to full on crazy taking the dog to the DMV at 3 am!
I would like to hear other stories about statins and their effect on others!
There is zero history of alzheimer's in my family and I have heard it is genetic. We have had many family members to live to almost 100...without statins. Now our history with cholesterol is high!!
My doctor wants to put me on statins and I have vehemently REFUSED! When my Thyroid is treated correctly with desiccated thyroid my cholesterol is also treated!

Old 03-16-2011, 06:58 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Alzheimer's and statin link

High cholesterol is rampant in my family - genetic link as we are all for the most part very fit, exercising regularly and eating a proper diet - and many have been on statins. There is no evidence of AD in any of them yet - oldest is 85.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-16-2011, 11:25 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User

Kadybug... this is a subject dear to my heart. Yes there is a rare muscular side effect from the Statin which is warned again. What is NOT warned against is the cognitive decline that can also be a side effect. I don't know that it causes Alzheimer's but it can cause cognitive decline. Cognitive decline is cognitive decline in my book.

I was put on statin. I took them for a while and started having cognition issues. Memory loss, personality changes, depression, agitation... humm sounds a little like Alzheimer's huh? The only reason I realized there was something terribly wrong was I stopped taking them while taking care of Mom and Dad at home. I had left my pills at home and didn't think a week would make a difference... but it cleared my head just enough to know I was in trouble. I did not start the pills when I got home but went to my physician. WOW... it is a known side effect of Statin. But when I stopped the medication my cognition return to normal (I think . I also has some muscle problems but they were minor and since have return to almost normal.... with a lot of bicycle riding. I do still have leg pain from time to time. I do know the muscle problems are warned again... I wish the cognition problems were as well.

We have to remember that cholesterol is brain food. Without enough of it cognition problems do occur. I look at my mom and Dad. Dad has normal cholesterol levels and a 33 history of heart disease (including 3 heart attacks, 5 bypasses, and multiple stints), PAD, and Vascular Dementia. Mom with her cholesterol levels over 300... has a heart cleaner than most 20 year old according to the heart doctor who did the cath because of an adrenal reaction to steroids. So I don't believe the cholesterol story we are fed.

Needless to say I am not and will never take them again!

Love, deb

Old 03-17-2011, 05:01 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Beginning HB UserBeginning HB UserBeginning HB UserBeginning HB UserBeginning HB UserBeginning HB UserBeginning HB UserBeginning HB UserBeginning HB UserBeginning HB User

DH also had high cholesterol but always absolutely refused to take any medication for it. He still got early onset Alzheimers. There is a history of high cholesterol in his family. Most of his family members did take statin drugs, but DH is the only one in his family to have gotten Alzheimers...no family history of this disease at all, even though we looked far back and many relatives lived into their 80s and 90s.

I'm waiting for some good research. So far, I haven't seen anything scientifically sound. My personal impression is that the connection between statin drugs and Alzheimers is the same as vaccinations and Autism. I suspect that there's just a connection between the age that the disease first appears and other treatments that occur around the same time. Families are desperate for answers. It would be easy if we could blame a drug. It would be sad if someone had a heart attack because of high cholesterol, if fear of developing Alzheimers kept them from taking the drug that could have saved their life.

Last edited by Beginning; 03-17-2011 at 05:05 AM.

Old 03-17-2011, 08:03 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User

I truly don't believe that Statin causes Alzheimer's. I think they are two entirely unconnected problems. But I do know that Statins can affect cognition levels in some who take it. The difference between Alzheimer's and statin induced cognition decline is... it gets better when you stop taking the drug and you eventually return to normal. I am saying this from personal experience having spent almost a year in the fog of statin cognition decline and another year coming out of it.

I am like you Beginning... I want so good solid research, not only concerning ALZ but also the heart disease cholesterol connection. I think there is another factor involved in the heart disease cholesterol connection. Just as you said if we have this and this then they must be related? Not always So Dad with his normal cholesterol levels fought heart disease for a third of his life and Mom with her abnormally high cholesterol is blockage free?

I did see some interesting statistics that came out this week. The death rate from Alzheimer's is the only disease that is on the increase. Heart disease, stroke, cancer, aids.. they are all going down.... and Alzheimer's is underfunded compared to the other top ten diseases. We do need to refocus research for a while.

Love, deb

Old 03-17-2011, 12:56 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

ninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadybug30 View Post
I am opening a new thread because the one I was interested in had been closed.
I know there is research currently that alzheimer's may be treated with statins. However, it is my personal opinion that statins caused my dad's dementia, polymyalgia and now alzheimers. Polymyalgia caused a complete muscle meltdown so to speak! My father went from being a vibrant entertaining and active man to a shell of who he once was. It all started with the statins. First he was weak then it was pain and then could hardly move; he was diagnosed with polymyalgia, the doctor mentioned it could be a "rare" side effect from the statin...HE IS STILL ON THEM! For God's sake shouldn't we stop them? To see if he improved? The statins, once again in my opinion, are NOT a life or death drug!!!!!!!!!!!
Then the dementia came on...lil things at first to full on crazy taking the dog to the DMV at 3 am!
I would like to hear other stories about statins and their effect on others!
There is zero history of alzheimer's in my family and I have heard it is genetic. We have had many family members to live to almost 100...without statins. Now our history with cholesterol is high!!
My doctor wants to put me on statins and I have vehemently REFUSED! When my Thyroid is treated correctly with desiccated thyroid my cholesterol is also treated!
I personally think statin helps Alzheimer's although it is just a theory.
I have not heard that it causes AD. My father-in-law is taking statin too lately but he is quite slow in declining due to his high educational level or other reasons. He is in stage 6 and he is 90.
Frankly so far no one can pinpoint and say what causes Alzheimer's. It could be the genes, the heart, hypertension, brain injury and lack of brain exercise and etc. It is combined factors and no one can really say for sure what caused AD.

Regards,
NC

Old 03-17-2011, 12:59 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

ninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB User

If you really don't want him to take statin and if you are his power of attorney for health proxy, you can tell the doctor to stop giving him statin and see what happens.

Regards,
NC

Old 03-21-2011, 02:20 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

Linda1652 HB UserLinda1652 HB UserLinda1652 HB UserLinda1652 HB UserLinda1652 HB UserLinda1652 HB User

High cholesterol runs in my family, too. I just started taking a statin because high cholesterol is linked to dementia. I put it off, but decided to give it a try. I know it effects my memory. I have also seen how it has effected my husband's memory!!

Maybe when your family member got dementia, the effect of high cholesterol had already taken it's toll.

Who knows??? I just read in a scientific magazine that they are learning that the amyloid plaques are NOT the issue anymore. Research seems to be going nowhere!!

Old 03-21-2011, 06:29 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

and if you read the latest research on high cholesterol you will find that the direct relationship to heart disease is not there. Even with the bushels of statins and the reduced intake of saturated fats... heart disease has increased. Now they believe that inflammation is the cause of the increase in heart disease and not the high cholesterol. Now they are saying saturated fats are better for you than the transfats they replaced them with.....

High cholesterol, diabetes, heavy metals and dozens of other causes of ALZ have been proposed but they have not been able to find a direct link. Yes, the statin did affect my memory, and disposition, and mood, and cognition in general. I would rather be 100% for as long as possible than live in that statin fog for a few years longer when they can not tell me 100% that it is doing any good.

Love, deb

Old 03-22-2011, 06:18 AM   #10
Inactive
(female)

Linda1652 HB UserLinda1652 HB UserLinda1652 HB UserLinda1652 HB UserLinda1652 HB UserLinda1652 HB User

I knew about statins not being proven to reduce heart disease. That was my argument for not getting on them---even though my dad died of heart disease at 53. I certainly wouldn't stay on them if my brain was really messed up. So far, I notice a little, however that could be my age (shy of 60) and the stress.

Mom has high cholesterol and has lived to 87 with blood pressure spikes, too. Actually, her BP averaged 160/90 for at least 15 years. We just got it lowered about a year ago. I decided to try statins to possibly decrease my chance of getting dementia!

Old 03-22-2011, 08:42 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

The only dementia I could even imagine statins would protect against is vascular dementia. But if cholesterol is not what is causing the clogged arteries then it is not what is causing vascular dementia. I was in my late 50's when they put me in statin. I too noticed that little change but when I "woke up" from my statin comma... I had actually lost more than a little for the time I was on them.

My Dad had low cholesterol. It was in the "normal" range but he had 33 years of heart disease, 5 bypasses, bypasses stinted, PAD, vascular dementia... and on and on. Mom's cholesterol is normally over 300 and untreated until she was in her late 60's. Yet her heart cath (as a result of an adrenal reaction to steroids) proved that she had NO plaque build up in her veins. Her heart was cleaner than most 20 year olds. Yes, she has Alzheimer's but I believe there is a genetic component there because her Mom, several of her aunts, and a number of her siblings have also have Alzheimer's. Her grandmother was said to be "touched in the head" in her old age... which was probably their diagnosis for ALZ as well. SO where is the connection?

Love, deb

Closed Thread