It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2011, 07:23 PM   #1
(female)

Linspj HB User
Lewy Body Dementia

I am looking for anyone who may be able to give me some advice on how to handle my 63 year old husband who was diagnosed with Lewy Body. He is on Seroquel, Respiridone and Galantamine. I haven't seen much improvement and I feel that the doctors are just guessing as to what will work.
He also has spinal stenosis and the neurologist approved the Fentynal patch that his othopaedic doctor prescribed. But reading the info freaked me out. I am 59 and I am his caretaker at night, but it is difficult. Any help or insight will be appreciated.

Old 03-23-2011, 09:20 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User
Re: Lewy Body Dementia

I have had no experience with Lewy Body disease but I can say that doctors do just guess at what treatment to use. There is very little research done on behavioral problems in any of the types of dementia. I do know that both of my parents (Dad with Vascular Dementia and Mom with Alzheimer's) have both been on Seroquel and Respiridone. I, like you, did not see much behavioral improvements with those particular medication but I do know people that they have helped. It is a hit and miss, try it and see if it works, type of doctoring. If you are not seeing improvement then you need to let the doctor know so he can try something different.

Be sure you are dealing with a doctor that is very familiar with the disease and how to treat it. We had no luck helping Mom until we found a Psychiatrist that specialized in treating dementia behavioral problem.

I did read a little on the Fentynal patch, which is for chronic pain management and I see why the side effects are scary. Yet I also know that those with dementia will "act out" when they are in pain. They do not know how to express that pain in any other way. It's truly a catch 22.

What types of behavior are you observing? Make a long list and talk to his doctor's once again for better options is the best advice I can give you

Love, deb

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-24-2011, 11:49 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB User
Re: Lewy Body Dementia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linspj View Post
I am looking for anyone who may be able to give me some advice on how to handle my 63 year old husband who was diagnosed with Lewy Body. He is on Seroquel, Respiridone and Galantamine. I haven't seen much improvement and I feel that the doctors are just guessing as to what will work.
He also has spinal stenosis and the neurologist approved the Fentynal patch that his othopaedic doctor prescribed. But reading the info freaked me out. I am 59 and I am his caretaker at night, but it is difficult. Any help or insight will be appreciated.
Hi,

You can check out other websites for experts' opinions. ***** is a good source.
Basically dementia would be the same in the end with similar problems for end stage.

Have you thought of hiring part-time caregiver? Also some home care service may offer you knowledge or ideas about your husband's disease.

I searched the website and came across this:

"Dementia with Lewy bodies overlaps clinically with Alzheimer's disease and Parkinson's disease, but is more associated with the latter. With DLB, the loss of cholinergic (acetylcholine-producing) neurons is thought to account for the degradation of cognitive functioning, as in Alzheimer's disease; while the loss of dopaminergic (dopamine-producing) neurons is thought to account for the degradation of motor control, as in Parkinson's disease. Thus, DLB is similar in some ways to both the dementia resulting from Alzheimer's disease and the movement problems of Parkinson's disease. The overlap of neuropathologies and presenting symptoms (cognitive, emotional, and motor) can make an accurate differential diagnosis difficult. In fact, it is often confused in its early stages with Alzheimer's disease and/or vascular dementia (multi-infarct dementia) although, where Alzheimer’s disease usually begins quite gradually, DLB often has a rapid or acute onset, with especially rapid decline in the first few months. DLB tends to progress more quickly than Alzheimer’s disease. Despite the difficulty, a prompt diagnosis of DLB is important because of the risks of sensitivity to neuroleptic drugs and because appropriate treatment of symptoms can improve life for both the person with DLB and their caregivers.

DLB is distinguished from the dementia that sometimes occurs in Parkinson's Disease by the time frame in which dementia symptoms appear relative to Parkinson symptoms. Parkinson's disease with dementia (PDD) would be the diagnosis when dementia onset is more than 1 year after the onset of Parkinson's. DLB is diagnosed when cognitive symptoms begin at the same time or within a year of Parkinson symptoms."

Regards,
Nina

Last edited by ninamarc; 03-24-2011 at 12:00 PM.

Closed Thread