It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2011, 05:55 PM   #1
(female)

aras HB Useraras HB Useraras HB Useraras HB User
Unhappy Mom Coughing

Hello all
My mom for about a week has developed a deep cough. Her eating has gone down hill and she doesn't want to get out of bed for the past two days. Her doctor was at the facility yesterday on a regular visit. He listened to her chest and said it sounded clear and she didn't seem to have a sinus infection. He said she may have gotten some food in her airway and is having the threapist check her swallowing ability. I have not seen any indication that she wasn't able to swallow her food normally. Could this be happening and not be evident while she is eating? She has vascular dementia was in assisted living for about sixteen months. She had a bad fall at AL and was hospitalized for a few days and then went to the nursing home for rehab Sept 2010. She is in a private room and has day time sitters. Is this the beginning of a downward trend? Just need to hear from some of you who have been through this before. She is 90 and will be 91 in October. She also has congestive heart failure, diabetes and high blood pressure. She had two heart attacks about thirty years apart and may have had a stroke at some time in the past. I appreciate any thoughts anyone may have on this subject.
Thanks
Gail

Old 04-29-2011, 06:24 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User
Re: Mom Coughing

From what you say it is hard to tell. Usually there is some evidence of chocking, even if it is only minor chocking such as a cough when she is eating, if she is having swallowing difficulties. But then she could have aspirated food in a single incident. Is it possible to have a portable chest X-ray done in the facility. That may answer questions. It is probably a good idea to also have her checked for swallowing difficulties. Until you get the therapist report it is difficult to tell what is going on.

My Dad had vascular dementia. He was in AL with Mom who has Alzheimer's for about 18 months before they both had to be transferred to a locked dementia unit. They were both a flight risk! Dad was there a year before he died March, 2010. I never noticed any problems with his eating at all.... yet he lost weight rapidly. He went from 186 to 130 pounds that year.... despite the fact he ate and ate well. He ate scrambled eggs and grits on Tuesday morning before he died on Friday. When he started that final decline it was very quick... just a matter of days.

I do know that Vascular Dementia symptoms are directly connected to the part of the brain that is affected by the vascular problems... so each will be a little different. Declines tend to be connected to vascular difficulties rather than a pattern like Alzheimer's.

So try to get that chest x-ray and get the therapist report and see what they have to say before you guess at the cause. It could be something as simple as spring allergy drainage if she has allergies.

Question... is she losing weight?

I didn't give many answers but hope something here helped.

Love, deb

The Following User Says Thank You to Gabriel For This Useful Post:
aras (04-30-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-30-2011, 10:22 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

meg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB User

Gail...it could be someting as simple as Deb said. We do think the worst and sometimes it is. A few weeks ago my mom started coughing..it was a loose cough as though she was trying to cough something up..she is not strong enough to cough anything up. Of course I thought it was food aspiration but it left as fast as it came..within a day it was gone...and when the hospice nurses check on her she always comes us with clear lungs...so who knows. Check out the few things that Deb suggested and go from there.

Love, Meg

Old 04-30-2011, 12:52 PM   #4
(female)

aras HB Useraras HB Useraras HB Useraras HB User

Just back from the NH and mom was up sitting in her chair. The sitter said she wasn't coughing much today. They don't have x-ray equipment at the NH. It would mean a trip to the hospital just down the street which would be bad on her. When I asked how she was feeling today she said "I don't think I have much left". I think her main problem is poor circulation. Her hands are cold and her nails are white. I am affraid this might be another sharp decline. I don't want her to suffer but I can't bear the thought of not having her around. We have become closer than ever during her declining health. I just wish it didn't have to be this way. Thanks for listening. This board is a wonderful thing. Meg, its sounds like your mother and mine are about at the same place. I pray for peace and comfort for all.

Love to all
Gail

Old 04-30-2011, 05:42 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User

Gail, I totally agree that a trip to the hospital is too much. I guess we are lucky to have a mobile x-ray service. They will come in and x-ray whatever in the facility. It is not a part of the facility but a local service used by facilities in the area. I am just glad your Mom seemed better today. It's an up and down existence as if on a roller coast.

You never know. Several times I thought Dad was close to the end and he fooled me over and over. After 33 years of vascular problems including 11 years of vascular dementia, when the end came it was quick. He made comment to me such as your Mom made today for the last 9 months. As you I didn't want him to suffer but it was hard to imagine him not here. It has been over a year and I miss him every day... some days more than others. But I would not wish him back. Now I tend to remember with a smile more than pain. Just yesterday I was at the cabin. That was his favorite place to be. I had an incredible urge to call him and tell him what the temperature was.. but knowing that was not possible. So I stood on the porch over the waterfall he loved and had a conversation with him anyway! The missing doesn't go away but the ability to carry the emotion with you does get easier with time. Until that time you need to enjoy every minute you can grab with your Mom. Like you I became closer to my parents over the course of the disease. It was and is a blessing I will forever be grateful for.

Love, deb

Old 04-30-2011, 06:21 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

meg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB User

We too have the mobile xray service.
Under no circumstance will I have my mom sent back to a hospital! Not any more. And to make sure I had hospice become involved..once we did that hopsice is called in an emergency as opposed to 911.

ANd yes, I too have become clsoer to my mom...we were always close but this has given us the time to connect in only a way a caregiver can with a parent in need. I get more hugs and kisses now than ever before. And no I can't imagine life without her but I kiss her goodbye everytime I leave with hopes that this ends sooner than later for her. I will miss her terribly...can't even fathom life without her but I will be happy (ok..not happy) to do it to know she is free of this cursed disease.

Love, Meg

Last edited by meg1230; 04-30-2011 at 06:23 PM.

Closed Thread