It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2011, 03:13 AM   #1
(female)

aras HB Useraras HB Useraras HB Useraras HB User
Unhappy shingles

Hello All
I guess clearing out the 90 years of clutter and keepsakes at mom's and preparing for out of town company was a bit much all at once. I have a bad case of shingles down the right side of my neck and on my chest, ouch! This happened even though I took the vaccine last year. I read where it is only sixty four percent effective. It hurts like crazy and now this morning I have developed a sand paper rash that itches. From the meds I guess. Anyone out there have any experience with shingles? Please, some in-put on how long this will last etc. Can't go to the NH with these blisters on me as I am contagious to people who haven't had chicken pox.

Thanks for listening
Gail

Old 07-03-2011, 04:57 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User
Re: shingles

Bless you Gail!! That is the last thing you needed. As for the duration, it varies. Mom had them and they cleared up rather quickly but my Aunt had them and they didn't go away for weeks. I do hope your doctor has put you on one of the new antiviral medications. They honest do help and that may be why Mom's didn't last that long. Then normal duration is from 7 to 10 days but it may take weeks for the blisters to completely disappear. Yes, you are contagious to anybody that hasn't had chicken pox. Luckily I was able to go help Mom because I did have chicken pox. I have a picture of myself with the break outs all over on Easter morning. Everybody else is all dressed up and I am in my night gown with a polka dot face!! Hopefully it will not be long before you are back to normal!

Love, deb

The Following User Says Thank You to Gabriel For This Useful Post:
aras (07-05-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-03-2011, 07:39 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

meg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB User

OH NO!!!! what more can I say...

it falls under the "if it isn't one darn thing, it's another!" category!

Love, Meg

The Following User Says Thank You to meg1230 For This Useful Post:
aras (07-05-2011)
Old 07-04-2011, 01:12 AM   #4
(female)

aras HB Useraras HB Useraras HB Useraras HB User

It's 4 am and I am up because of pain. This is bad stuff. I thought I was getting better yesterday but now I don't think so. I am on an antiviral, fifty pills to take, five a day. Thank goodness my husband is stepping in for me. Checking on mom. Just one more life lesson, and that is, you are never in control. Life is what happens while you are making plans.
Thanks for the comforting words.
Gail

Old 07-04-2011, 08:01 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User

You are so very right Gail... life is what happens when we are making plans. We are only in control of how we handle what is thrown our way. I just hope this bump in the road is over quickly. Be sure to thank hubby for stepping up! It is times like these when you find out where you best support comes from! Your Mom will be as OK as she is going to be and right now you need to take care of yourself. Hang in there... this too will be a thing of the past... hopefully sooner than later!

Love, deb

The Following User Says Thank You to Gabriel For This Useful Post:
aras (07-04-2011)
Old 07-05-2011, 08:01 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

ninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by aras View Post
It's 4 am and I am up because of pain. This is bad stuff. I thought I was getting better yesterday but now I don't think so. I am on an antiviral, fifty pills to take, five a day. Thank goodness my husband is stepping in for me. Checking on mom. Just one more life lesson, and that is, you are never in control. Life is what happens while you are making plans.
Thanks for the comforting words.
Gail
Gail,

I am sorry you have so much pain...
I had some shingle in 2003 around my arms and it went to part of my chest at left. At first I thought it was rash and scrached some. Then I saw blisters and felt pain. I went to the walk-in as well as ER a few days later, and they gave me pain killer and the antiviral drugs. I got over it in a few weeks. Left some scars... Must be stress at that time - but my FIL was not that sick and he was not a widower yet in 2003... I was starting taking some classes so maybe that was the stress.

It seems you have more pain because it is around the neck. Unless this is some reaction to the drugs you take, I think you will get over it in a couple of days. But it is painful! I won't get shingle again since I got it once.

I am glad your husband can help out. Hang in there.

Take care,
Nina

The Following User Says Thank You to ninamarc For This Useful Post:
aras (07-05-2011)
Closed Thread