It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2011, 09:42 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User
Happy Birthday

What a surreal day!

It started with a phone call to the Regional Director concerning Mom's recent fall. With no satisfaction from the Rem Coordinator or the Facility Director I went to the next step. Hopefully the Calvary is coming.

It was Dad's Birthday... but it was also Mom's birthday. I met Sister 2, her daughter, and two grand daughters at the facility for an ice cream cake party. Mom was more lucid than I have seen her in a LONG time. She actually ask... "May I have a b..b...bb.. ook" as she pointed to the bowl of bananas. When the little 11 month old crawled under the table she said.. "Don't bump the head". And she ate three pieces of ice cream cake! It was a good day for her

Between moments of birthday celebration I sat with a good friend who's Mom is in her final days.

We had new life in the little one, the end of life in my friend's mom, missing Dad but celebrating with Mom, frustration with the facility but hope in the regional office. The ying and yang was .... well I came home at 5 PM and went straight to the bed. I fell into a deep sleep until my phone rang at 9 PM. Now I am headed back to bed because I am still exhausted! I will go back tomorrow to sit with my friend for a while and check on Mom.

Love..... deb

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: Gabriel
bubblegirl (07-23-2011), ninamarc (07-24-2011)
Old 07-23-2011, 09:59 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

TC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB User
Re: Happy Birthday

Yes - what a day indeed!! Glad your mom had a good day. Always glad for new life to help balance the ones who are nearing the end of theirs.

Thinking of you!! {{{hugs}}}

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-23-2011, 03:38 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User

hang in there!

Old 07-23-2011, 06:09 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User

And it continued today. It was my daughter's birthday. She spent it where she loves to be.... in the woods digging for treasures. I spent the day sitting with my good friend until her Mom passed about 3:30 this afternoon. I walked back downstairs to discover that one of my favorite AL residents was in the hospital with pneumonia and an infected gall bladder. They can not do surgery and do not expect her to life much longer. It's been a tough couple of days! Yet in the middle of all this my little 3 year old great niece had to call me to tell me she pooed in the potty for the first time Ying and Yang!!

Love, deb

Old 07-23-2011, 08:24 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

meg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB User

Days like you had can surely yank our emotions all over the place. We should all invest in neck braces.

Your mother's birthday gift to you on her birthday was a good day.
Happy birthday to your mom, your dad and to your wonderful digging in the woods, daughter!

When my mom would speak a perfectly understandable sentence it was joy to behold! Today she said my name.

We become so attached to the other residents and their family members. We become intwined in their lives as well and care about what happens to them.
Your friend who lost her mom was blessed to have you by her side...as we are here!

The ying and the yang. The old and the young. The joy and the sorrow.
Yep, we all need neck braces.

Love, Meg

Old 07-23-2011, 09:09 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Just hearing your name had to be a blessing Meg It's the single word that means the most.

I saw this lady walk in the unit with her Mom. She looked so frazzled. I gaver her a sticky note with my name and phone number and told her to call me if she needed somebody to talk to. A few days later she did. That was the first of March and we have talked almost every day since. We just clicked. She was new to this journey and her Mom's disease progressed quickly. I think we have a bond now that will last... and both our Mom's have the same name

I will have to say I am emotionally drained from the last few days. I do believe tomorrow I will just mow the grass

Love, deb

Old 07-24-2011, 03:06 AM   #7
(female)

aras HB Useraras HB Useraras HB Useraras HB User
Smile Re: Happy Birthday

Hi Deb, Meg and all
Yesterday when I walked into Mom's room, she started blowing me air kisses and said " I Love my husband" and we all laughed including Mom. She had a restful day and was in a good mood. Wonderful to see her that way.

Gail

Old 07-24-2011, 05:12 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

meg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB User

That's wonderful. Gail. They can still surprise us.

So little, now, makes us happy.

love, Meg

Old 07-24-2011, 07:45 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Those are the days that get us through Gail We don't expect miracles but we sure do appreciate contentment and the little blessings as we go along!

On top of everything else there was an Elvis impersonator at the facility yesterday afternoon. I did take Mom upstairs for a while to enjoy the antics. We were standing in a doorway a little behind the performer. When he started rocking and rolling Mom's eyes got big and she turned to me saying OHHHH! I cracked up!

Love, deb

Old 07-24-2011, 11:25 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

ninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB User

Wow. Many birthdays... Keep you busy. Enjoy the moments!

Hugs,
Nina

Old 07-24-2011, 02:02 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Too many birthdays in July... Just on July 22 and 23 I have my daughter's birthday, Mom and Dad's, and my BIL along with my good friend's anniversary and birthday! My great niece's birthday is on the 18th and my niece's on the 7th. I am always glad to see August arrive hehe!

Love, deb

Old 07-24-2011, 05:24 PM   #12
Veteran
(female)

TC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB User

Oh-my-gosh-Deb......I don't even know what to say!?! I like Meg's neck brace idea. The woman you befriended and who you sat with today is very blessed to have you.

I know you made a huge difference for her. I know what a difference you make for all of us here on the boards. Wow - that's alot of birthdays in July! Hope you get a restful day tomorrow that maybe or maybe not includes mowing that grass!

The Following User Says Thank You to TC08 For This Useful Post:
Gabriel (07-24-2011)
Old 07-24-2011, 06:44 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sounds like a lot of cake to me. Better break out the bike, Deb!

Love, Meg

Old 07-24-2011, 07:06 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mom's was an ice cream cake that was yummmm!! The rest of the cake I passed on! Even my great niece's pink cake with pink icing and pink sprinkles! Meg, I need that bike. Today I have been LAZY! Now it's late and I just remembered I have bills to pay so off I go. I will mow when it cools off a little. Today it was 99 here and that's way too hot to spend the day in the sun.

Love, deb

Closed Thread