It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2011, 12:51 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User
Hot Bottom

Mom is a wanderer. She walks most of her day. Not going anywhere just going. If she sits she will sleep a while, wake up, and say... "Let's go!" And off we go

Recently I have noticed that she would not sit. I could not coax her to sit and if I did she got right back up. A little frustrated I looked her right in the face Monday and ask... "What's wrong?" She tried to say something but didn't get it out so I ask again. "Hot Bottom!" HUMMM Wonder what that means? She said it again .... and then it hit me. Constipation... hemorrhoids... hot bottom!! It is amazing how you can find meaning in the few words they say if you take the time to listen and connect the dots.

So we have ordered forced fluids, prune juice, and prep H. It has been less than a week and Mom has actually been sitting comfortably since Wednesday I am so glad we didn't just chalk it up to behavior and looked for a reason!

Love, deb

Old 08-05-2011, 01:41 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User
Re: Hot Bottom

that was great! i remember trying to figure out what my mom was saying. and most of it was the truth!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-05-2011, 03:21 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB User

Deb, what a funny term! It is right on! You are smart to figure it out... She is so lucky to have you nearby like that. It is so good that she would still try to walk around. It does not sound like she is in hospice!
Sure hope you will have more time with her.

Hugs,
Nina

Old 08-05-2011, 06:05 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User

Nina, Mom will be walking until she drops. She has slowed dramatically and has had a few falls but she's still walking. She has lost 30 pounds and has kidney issues but she's still walking. She has aphasia and communication is limited but she is still walking. There is also another little lady in the unit with Mom who is her buddy and very much the same. They just walk together, round and round. If I can get one to sit they usually both sit.

Hospice accepted Mom on the first evaluation. With Dad I learned that they are not just for those that are bedridden. I called Hospice to prevent trips to the ER and to have another set of eyes and ears watching over Mom. I expect she might just be around for a while yet!!

Love, deb

PS.. I love some of the terms Mom now uses. Hot bottom made me laugh. She also talks about Dad as "the dude" which cracks me up.

Last edited by Gabriel; 08-05-2011 at 06:06 PM.

Old 08-06-2011, 02:58 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

meg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB User

Oh dear...Deb... I don't mean to make light but the phrase Hot bottom is just priceless...and "The Dude" probably thought she had a "hot bottom" too!

Glad you figured it out. We certainly learned that there is a reason behind everything. If that is one thing we can get out there it is to look for a reason for a new behavior. And for every problem there can be a solution. A little prune juice and one half of Thelma and Louise will be off and running.
Let's Go!

Love, Meg

Old 08-06-2011, 05:03 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Meg, you are not making light, you are laughing just like I did. I was even happy when it lead to a reason for some of the things I had seen lately. The Dude and the hot button... now that made me laugh!!

Today was an interesting day. When I arrived she was "out for breakfast". There is a sweet little restaurant that gives them a private room to dine out. There are ducks outside the bit picture window to entertain them... and they LOVE it. When she arrived back she was in good humor, An hour later she ate most of her lunch. Then I gave her a shower and washed her hair!! It was awful!! Her regular caregiver has been out for a while due to a death in her family and I knew it just by looking at Mom.

Then I had to laugh. One of the caregivers said the "stuff" was coming out of Mom's prosthesis. She had not see it but been told and wasn't that "stuff" silicon. So off I went to find it. It's not Mom's prosthesis. We don't use that because it is expensive and heavy. Mom likes the Boob Buddy better, which is just a pouch with little bean bags in it that have foam balls in them. It's light and almost indestructible. But.. it was turned inside out so the velcro would not work and one of the little bean bags was outside of the pouch. I turned it right side out, put the bean bags in it, and secured it. So now we are back in business. Have I said yet that I can't wait for Mom's regular morning caregiver to get back!

Then it was off to fix my niece's dryer. Two little ones and hubby out of town meant.. call Deb! The clothes are drying and her supper is ready... and I had a grand time with my two great nieces.

It was a good day... with no Hot Bottoms or Dudes!

Love, deb

Old 08-08-2011, 08:29 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Last night the hot bottom hit the floor again. Got "that call" about 9:15 PM. Not sure why she fell but she went down. Thankfully the med tech was there and could say she didn't hit her head. That is the magic bullet. They all go bonkers when they think the head took a bounce. Doesn't matter what else might be wrong as long as the head is safe!

The funny part. This was the same Med Tech that had me come to the facility when she ask somebody if I needed to go and they said yes. That somebody was MOM!! So last night I said. "This is not something you need to as Mom!! I want your opinion. Should I come to check on Mom?" She laughed and ask Mom!!! Mom was up and walking so I told her that I would be there today! Just one more fall to add to my list... but at least it didn't involve a late evening trip!!

Love, deb

Old 08-08-2011, 07:12 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

meg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB User

Oh Deb...I am so glad she was fine...and you got past that med tech again. Good grief.

Next time you go up take a pillow and attach it to her hot bottom!!!

Love, Meg

Old 08-08-2011, 07:41 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

That med tech is going to make me gray... errr grayer! She's in her early 20's and... Sigh!!! Mom was a little slow today but definitely ok. That med tech called out today so one of my favorites is there. It's been a good day and a good night! Amazing how much difference it can make to have good help

Love, deb

The following user gives a hug of support to Gabriel:
ninamarc (08-09-2011)
Closed Thread