It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2011, 04:38 AM   #1
(male)

princesivakumar HB User
Forgetfulness

Last three months itself my dad(age 48) is having forgetfulness problem. Nowadays he forgetting the latest events that he did. It seems like he is suffer from short term memory loss. He can remember before 3 months incidents but he forgetting latest events mostly he is having confusion mind. More than 30 years he was taking dilantin 100mg and garoin tablet for his seizures. I dont know what happened to his health. Doctor said Acute thalamic infaract disorder. now doctor saying soon he will forget everything. I'm afraid if his short-term memory will cause long-term memory loss? Its curable or not?
Now he is taking
Dilantin 200mg per day and Somozina, Donamem 10 mg, nootrpil 800mg, Daxid, Pan, Preva.

Old 08-10-2011, 08:15 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB User
Re: Forgetfulness

I have never heard of this condition since I am not a medical person. The thing I do know is that, dementia cannot be cured now. You should ask the doctor if it is dementia like Thalamic dementia or vascular dementia.

You asked about short-term memory and long-term memory. The person with dementia goes wrong first with short-term memory. As time goes on, the brain is damaged more and eventually he will lose his long-term memory and ends up needing 24 hours care.
Short-term memory loss does not cause long-term memory loss. It is the brain damage that gets worse in the process.

Take care,
Nina

Last edited by ninamarc; 08-10-2011 at 10:22 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to ninamarc For This Useful Post:
princesivakumar (08-10-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-10-2011, 04:27 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User

Acute thalamic infaract disorder.... I do believe is a stroke disorder which usually effects younger patients. It is a stroke in the Thalamus of the brain. This part of the brain controls our sensory interpretation and our awareness of self. It is not dementia as in Alzheimer's but it is something that can affect brain function. The effect you will see will be determined by how sever the stroke is, how effectively they can control the effects of the stroke, and what caused the stroke in the first place. This is something you need to talk to his doctor about.

Dilantin and nootropil is for seizure disorder. Somozina is used to treat cerebral disorders such as strokes. I did a quick check and I do believe Donamem is a drug specific to your country to treat memory loss. Daxid is for depression and anxiety. I do believe Pan is for pain. Preva is an anti inflammatory. They would all fit with the stroke diagnosis.

So please talk to his doctor and get more information concerning the severity and prognosis of his condition. Don't give up hope

Love, deb

The Following User Says Thank You to Gabriel For This Useful Post:
princesivakumar (08-10-2011)
Old 08-10-2011, 10:51 PM   #4
(male)

princesivakumar HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninamarc View Post
I have never heard of this condition since I am not a medical person. The thing I do know is that, dementia cannot be cured now. You should ask the doctor if it is dementia like Thalamic dementia or vascular dementia.

You asked about short-term memory and long-term memory. The person with dementia goes wrong first with short-term memory. As time goes on, the brain is damaged more and eventually he will lose his long-term memory and ends up needing 24 hours care.
Short-term memory loss does not cause long-term memory loss. It is the brain damage that gets worse in the process.

Take care,
Nina
Thanks.

Old 08-10-2011, 11:10 PM   #5
(male)

princesivakumar HB User

Thanks Gabriel, Before 3 months his doctor said it will cure after 3 months. Now the doctor saying step by step he will forget everything. After treatment his health condition having no improvement. He didnt last any past memory. New things are not storing in to the memory. i hope soon he will be alright . Its curable or not?

Old 08-11-2011, 12:32 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

ninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB User

Dementia is not curable. At this point, you have to ask the doctor if it is dementia.
If it goes as far as dementia after all the stroke and stuff, then such dementia is not curable.
Sometimes if it is temporary due to injury or broken leg/arms, the patient may forget temporarily.

It depends if this is temporary. If it is indeed dementia, it cannot be cured.

Hope the doctor can find him better med.

Hugs,
Nina

Old 08-11-2011, 10:50 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User

Prince, that will depend on the stroke location, the severity, and their ability to control the damage done. If the doctor has told you that he will eventually forget everything, it doesn't sound as if his condition is going to improve. But again you do need to ask the doctor what to expect. I am truly sorry you are having to deal with this situation and I wish the best for both of you.

Love, deb

Old 08-13-2011, 08:49 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixawy 11 View Post
Early-onset Alzheimer's: When symptoms begin before 65
When Alzheimer's begins in middle age, misdiagnosis may be more likely. This rare form of Alzheimer's affects work, finances and family.
This is possible too. But it is really up to the doctor to diagnose it.
Ask the doctor specifically if he feels that dementia or Alzheimer's is possible.
Don't just ask him how the memory will work. Does the doctor have any diagnosis as dementia such as vascular dementia or Alzheimer's?

Nina

Old 08-13-2011, 10:49 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

.........."Doctor said Acute thalamic infaract disorder.".......... There is a diagnosis that explains the memory issues so it is stroke related and not a progressive dementia.

Love, deb

Old 11-05-2011, 12:36 AM   #10
(male)

princesivakumar HB User
Smile Re: Forgetfulness

Hi Now we consulting physiatrist & neurologist doctors. now my dad health got little bit improvement. sometimes he able to guess today day and he can remember few latest happenings. He is doing homework for remember words and doing some exercise for his mind relax.

The following user gives a hug of support to princesivakumar:
ninamarc (11-05-2011)
Old 11-05-2011, 06:24 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Prince, I am glad it seems to be a little better at times and mental activity is good. I do hope he continues to improve or at least remains stable.

Love, deb

The Following User Says Thank You to Gabriel For This Useful Post:
princesivakumar (04-03-2012)
Closed Thread