It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2011, 12:33 PM   #1
(female)

redcleo HB User
Please help... could this be alzheimers/dementia?

For the past few months my mum who is 62 would act strange about once a month. Usually at night when she wakes up, she would get dressed and then when my dad asked her what she was doing she would say she is going home? She went back to sleep and woke up in the morning everything was normal although she didn't remember it. It was like she was dreaming and then came out of it. She also said to me about having a dream last night but cannot remember it.

This morning she did the same at about 3am but hasn't come out of it - 8.30pm here now. She acts like she has just moved here and although familiar with the area she took some convincing to believe this is her home... She remembers who we are and what day/month it is etc it is just this thing about where we live. She is asking where the local shop and bus stop is (which she knows) and she doesn't seem upset of confusion but in quite a jolly mood and wonders why we are worried about her.
We used to live in another address a street away but moved in 1996 and back to this area in 2008 and she remembers the other street.

We are calling the doctor out tomorrow to see what is going on, but, if it is alzheimers or dementia, would it really come on this bad this suddenly?

Also it is all started around the time she ran out of her HRT patches and she has been on them for over 10 years, they weren't prescribed her the last time she was at the doctors, could that possibly be causing it?
She has also been very tired and having hot flashes but i think that is due to the not having the HRT.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-14-2011, 01:07 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User
Re: Please help... could this be alzheimers/dementia?

Hard to tell Red. Has she had any other behavioral changes? Is she having difficulty following instructions? Does she forget things that happened during the day or is she repeating herself? Does she seems to prefer to be at home and not participate in things she did before? Are there any other changes?

Sometimes there are subtle changes that we dismiss or don't recognize. Then there is one thing that grabs our attention and we think it is sudden onset. When I look back beyond that light bulb moment I see the subtle signs that I missed. So the possibility is there but if it is just this one occurrence it could very well be something different.

I do know that going of HRT "cold turkey" can be difficult. You body has grown accustom to the supplemental hormones and depends on them. When you deprive yourself of these hormones it takes the body a while to readjust the internal hormone level to compensate. I would suspect the tired and hot flashes are a result of going off the HRT. I am not sure if it would cause the realistic dream/delusions that she is having but it's possible.

You do need to contact her doctor. There could be a medical or pharmaceutical explanation for what is going on with her that is fixable. So you are doing the right thing by calling in her physician Let's hope it's something simple that can be fixed...

Love, deb

Old 08-14-2011, 01:18 PM   #3
(female)

redcleo HB User

She isn't so much forgetful as she is tired and sore, she has rheumatid arthritis and around the same time she ran out of patches she also ran out of the medication for those so since then really she hasn't been quite herself. She is also under a lot of stress from my dad who is an alcoholic and was hospitalised last year for meningitis.
She prefers to be at home and has preferred that her whole life really although she hasn't gone out much at all in the last few months.
I don't know what to think really and have heard so many explanations to medication being the cause to it being a mini stroke...
I guess i will have to wait it out until the doctor comes tomorrow and try not to over worry myself until then...
Thank you for replying

Old 08-14-2011, 02:52 PM   #4
(female)

redcleo HB User

Hi just a quick update that my mum 'snapped out of it' about an hour ago, 10pm here. She remembers our address, where we live and where we lived before...
She is asleep now but still getting the doctor out in the morning to check her.

Old 08-14-2011, 04:52 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User

Glad she snapped out of it again. Please call the doctor tomorrow. With as much going on with her health as you described it could be anything. Only a complete physical and some medical test will give you the answer. Please let us know what you find out I hope it is something with a quick fix. I will keep you both in my thoughts and prayers.

Love, deb

Old 08-15-2011, 06:58 AM   #6
(female)

redcleo HB User

The doctor came today and did some BP tests, looked at her meds, was talking to her and did a physical test. He had her stand up and turn around, then sit down and put her finger from her nose to his finger with both hands a few times and then lay down a run her heel up and down her shin with both feet. She had no problem doing any of it.
The doctor felt it may have been an effect of the medication she was taking. She was taking anti depressants but was taken off them and then the doctor put her on gastro resistant tablets called Yenteve or Yentreve, apparently they are also used as anti depressant tablets and have some pretty serious side effects. He felt that those combined with her coming off HRT so rapidly caused the problems. He took her off those and represcribed her HRT and arthritis meds.
There is a nurse coming either today or tomorrow to take bloods and she has a follow up appointment in a few weeks to see how she is doing.
Looks like good news but will still keep my fingers crossed.
Thank you for your help and messages, they have been a great help to me the last day or so

Old 08-15-2011, 07:52 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Red, it is not that her meds became so confused and she had such a reaction... but we will celebrate that it was something fixable! I do hope she continues to improve and has many more good years with you Glad it all turned out so well.

Love, deb

Closed Thread