It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2011, 12:28 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

ninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB User
One on one caregiver

I realized it is not every home that has one on one caregiver service on their own. In this home where my FIL is, they started a new one on one caregiver service in Nov. Some 10 female and 1 male caregivers (they call them associates) signed up for this. These caregivers volunteered to work extra hours to get more pay. The shift goes with every other week, so the ones who are off the shift can choose to come back to work some one on one caregiving to get more money. As the result, there are not many people by choice (say, for a male caregiver...)

I sensed that the home has this attitude that these one on one associates work for them, the home. Well, I would say the home is working for the elderly. So who is working for whom?
Because of this, we have no way to really get in touch with the caregiver unless we catch them at the time they are with my FIL. Worst of all, the log for one on one service is like a punch card and there are only names and times, no activities are mentioned.

So NO ONE knows what was happening during the one-on-one service. Of course the witnesses and the associates know more about it. Am I supposed to chase after them trying to find out what is going on?

The directors will make assessment later on. But it is not the point. We pay $16.5 per hour and we deserve to know what is going on. If we can go there, why bother to hire the "companion"?

I complained to the directors. It is simple - just ask them to write down the activities in the log so we can just ask the nurse.

The thing is the nurse/director keep saying the associates work for the nurses/residential care director. So family is invisible???

If it is so hard for them, we may get other companies for one-on-one service. That is why we didn't start it until the directors urged that we tried it.

Now the director said they will add activities logs and tell the associates to write it down. So it has not happened for at least 7 months so far... Guess sometimes families really have to step in to make some noise and then we will get the results.

Nina

Last edited by ninamarc; 08-17-2011 at 05:01 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-17-2011, 10:51 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User
Re: One on one caregiver

No no no Nina.. that would NOT happen in my world! Basically you are paying extra for what the facility should provide. Beyond that there is no way for you to get the information you need to make informed decisions for your FIL. If I was paying extra, there would be a log or a phone call daily related to your FIL. I would have fired them a long time ago and hired an outside agency that would give me the information necessary. As I have said before, Mom's facility does not provide one on one care by their caregivers outside of their regular shifts. This is a HUGE conflict of interest and leaves too much room for unscrupulous extra charges. The facility says FIL needs one on one and then they provide that one on one with no information back to the family as to the effectiveness of that care... no no no.

I did have a friend that had an outside one on one caregiver for a while and there was a log in her Mom's room with explicit details about activities, physical condition, emotional state, and general well being. It was simply a notebook that the caregiver wrote in at the end of each shift. They were required to write at least a half page single spaced and had a list of required items that had to be included. It gave an excellent record of her Mom's condition over time and the effectiveness of the one on one

Love, deb

Old 08-18-2011, 08:57 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB User

We just started this in the second week of August. We had it signed up until end of Sept. I am thinking we need to get outsiders.
Initially we were thinking these caregivers know my FIL. But given such attitude, we may try to find other co. or just stop this one on one service.

They cannot make us do it. The service has been there for 7 months and other families didn't complain? We just started and I get ****** off.
I know what one on one should be like because we had had home care for 5 years!!

Thanks, Deb.

Nina

Old 08-18-2011, 11:32 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User

Different people want different things Nina. Some are very satisfied just to put something in place that makes them feel better and then just leave it. Some want to know if it is effective, if it needs to continues, or what benefit FIL is getting. Close ended service like that doesn't give you a clear picture of the benefits and if it needs to be continued. Yep, you have been this route and know what to look for and one reason you got irritated You know what is right!

Love, deb

Old 08-19-2011, 09:33 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

meg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB User

HI...Any time a private aid was with my mom we were called at the end of the shift. It was what I told them I needed from them. A call each time with an update, every day. And I got it. Your money. Your rules.

Love, Meg

Closed Thread