It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2011, 06:10 AM   #1
(female)

aviovaimo HB Useraviovaimo HB User
Question thank you everyone

I want to thank everyone for their answers to my post.It`s so good to know that there are people who know what you are talking about......
I`m still very reluctant to try Aricept but I will have to see someone about his hallucinations as they are getting worse and they hardly ever seem to be pleasant ones.They are always about robbery,murder,someone trying to harm him or the family.We live in Barbados and I know we have an Alzheimer`s Association so I will try to call them today to see if they can offer advice.The oncologist (my husband has plasmacytoma) suggested a psychiatrist---I don`t know if that`s a good idea.More drugs? I have a friend who does reflexology,I was going to ask her to come as she said it should help with the anxiety.I`m a bit confused at the moment......looking back I can see that there were already signs of AD before the surgery but I just put them down to age---he`ll be 86 next month.I`ve never even heard of vascular dementia but looked it up.I just want my husband to have a fairly peaceful life--as much as it`s possible---he`s supposed to have radiation on his leg which he does not want either plus he does not like to take tablets. I have something called Frisium for him to help him relax at night so he sleeps better and sometimes he takes that.
What about vitamins? People talk about vitamin B deficiency.Our GP gave him something called Bevidoxine Forte but after a few days he was itching like mad so I took him off it.
I seem to be rambling here----thanks again everyone!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-29-2011, 07:53 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User
Re: thank you everyone

Many times when there is a sudden decline as your husband had due to a medical procedure, anesthesia, or other change... we look back and say oh yeah, those changes I saw before were probably not just normal aging. Hind sight is 20/20 many times.

There are medications that will help with the delusions but I never found anything that would make them go away in Dad's case. Most of my Dad's delusions also involved danger, fear, or anxious situations. It is what they are. One thing you learn is not to deny the delusions. It is very very real to him even if you know they are not real. It does help to acknowledge the fear and anxiety he has. "I know this scares you" Then give a solutions such as "I will contact the police". You don't contact the police but you can pick up the phone and talk into the receiver. Do what it takes to calm him and let him know you are doing something. Try to reassure him that actions are being taken to resolve the anxious situation.

Dad had constant delusions about his little brothers being in trouble down the hall. He would get up in the middle of the night to go check on them. I always acknowledged his fear and anxiety over his brothers care. I even praised him for being such a good attentive brother. I would assure him that I would go check if he went back to bed.... or just wait on me. I would go out of the door, stand just beyond that closed door, and then come back. I would assure him his brothers were ok and help him back to bed. Sometimes it took more than one trip to visit the brothers and sometimes he had to go with me. But validating his emotions, helping him find imaginary solutions to his imagined problems, reassurance it would be ok, and lots of patience usually worked.

The wish for our loved ones to have a peaceful life is universal. We do the best we can but sometimes this disease doesn't let us have exactly what we want. What we have to do is the best we can with the disease.

As for the vitamin B... yep the hot flashes and itches are a side effect. A vitamin B deficiency can create confusion but those are extreme cases. Vitamin B doesn't make Alzheimer's or Vascular Dementia go away. If he is having annoying side effects than why continue the medication. I agree with your decision to take him off.

In light of his current diagnosis of Alzheimer's you might want to rethink other medical decisions. Do you want to be as aggressive now as you did when there was no dementia? Is it beneficial to him in the short term? Is it going to improve his quality of life now? The dementia diagnosis changes so many of the parameters that we use to make decisions.

Love, deb

Old 08-29-2011, 08:56 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB User

I am sorry your husband has plasmacytoma! It is very bad for him to have both fatal diseases. You are right, at this point, quality of life is important. No more aggressive treatments unless you want him to have.
Sometimes antidepressant or antipsychotic drugs can help his delusions. Also, don't make him watch the news or read the bad news. Sometimes he gets confused with the news and feels that it is real in his local area.

My FIL has stage 6/7 Alzheimer's and he was diagnosed with it in 2006 when he was 86. In 2007 when he watched CNN and saw this Virginia Tech killing, he thought the killer was nearby in Chicago and was afraid that he was in danger and all that. The caregivers had to distract him. He was still watching TV but they tuned it in with Animal Planet or adult cartoons (the Simpsons or Family Guy.)

How you manage what he receives everyday from the media does make a difference. It also depends on his life style - if he was a police or a news reporter and that kind of profession... These elders don't forget their professions whatsoever.

My FIL was a professor in Chicago and a doctor in his home country. He still thinks he wants his sons to work with him in the nursing home. He always thinks work is more important than family. He is married to work. (Actually he has had this delusion for 30 yeas.) For exmaple, he had done experiments on cats in most of his professor's career so he would think the overnight caregiver at home was to do experiment on him overnight. He would think the hospital tubings are for experiments and he does not want that. He imagines that he is working in the home and that the blood test for a check up is for "work/experiment"!
He would not have delusions out of the blue like a real mentally ill patient.

Once you find out the clues to deal with, he would have better quality of life in peace.

Take care,
Nina

Last edited by ninamarc; 08-29-2011 at 11:14 AM.

Old 08-29-2011, 12:11 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User

keep posting it so helps.

Closed Thread