It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2011, 05:40 PM   #1
(female)

aviovaimo HB Useraviovaimo HB User
wow

There so seems to be much to learn from you guys,I`m grateful I found you! One more question: my husband hallucinates a lot i.e. he sees all sorts of people in and out of the house.I tell him that I know he can see them but I cannot.I also discussed Alzheimer`s with him and explained that it`s the reason he sees all that stuff.He seems to accept that,at least for now.We call it his private cinema that is in his head.Am I being too honest?It seems to work---I don`t really want to pretend I see what I don`t.I guess my tactics may well change as the disease progresses.And every day is not the same.Yesterday he was very fearful and anxious but not so much today.

Last edited by aviovaimo; 08-29-2011 at 05:47 PM.

Old 08-29-2011, 07:49 PM   #2
(male)

WasFatNoMore HB UserWasFatNoMore HB User
Re: wow

My gradmother saw all sorts of people. One time she told me that several woman came into her room and left their babies with her to watch even though she told them she was too old to babysit! I told her I would talk to the nurse on duty and make sure that didn't happen again.

There was also a little girl who used to run in her room and hide. I would look for the little girl and assure my gran she was gone.

It is best to figure out how to play along and alleviate his anxiety than to try to reason with him, although perhaps now he can still understand that he has hallucinations, eventually he won't.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-29-2011, 07:59 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User
Re: wow

You know your hubby better than anybody else. If it works for you today then it is what works for you today. We never know what tomorrow will bring. As you said your tactics change as the disease changes. The one good thing, if what you try first doesn't work you can walk off, come back, and try something different.

Mom would not hear that she has Alzheimer's. It was the one thing in life that she feared having cared for her Mom with the disease. If it was mentioned she went into hysteria so we NEVER mentioned it to her. Others like my great aunt would tell you she had Alzheimer's and insist that you write in her journal so she could "remember". Dad, the master of delusions, was ok if you validated the emotions and assured him you were doing something to help. You can do that without acknowledging you see whatever it is but you are also not denying it is there.

So do what works best for you. Take all the ideas and suggestions you can get and then pick through what you have gathered, keeping your hubby's temperament, likes, and dislikes in mind, and do what is best for him and for you.

I am about half way through an amazing book that I just found. "Coping with Alzheimer's: A Caregiver's Emotional Survival Guide" by Rose Oliver and Frances A Bock. I have read many books on how to care of a loved one with dementia and how to take care of them. This is the first one that focuses on the caregiver and their emotional well being. It is a great guide to help navigate all the emotions that you are feeling as you go through this disease with him.

Love, deb

The Following User Says Thank You to Gabriel For This Useful Post:
caringaussie (09-04-2011)
Closed Thread