It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2011, 04:34 PM   #1
(female)

aviovaimo HB Useraviovaimo HB User
sounding like an old record....

I want to thank you people out there(yes,again) because you`ve given me a glimpse of how to deal with this disease---today was a good day as I was able to "go with the flow" and "enter" my husband`s world rather than expecting him to re-enter mine.I was able to relax and that seemed to help him and I`m thankful for these blessings while they are still here.He has not been quite as anxious today either.This morning he felt bad---propably because he did not sleep well last night---but by midday he was much better.I don`t know what tomorrow will bring but I don`t need to---I only have The Now.I now have hope,not that he will get better but that I will be a better care-giver.These are the nuggets of gold in the mountain of sand.....

Old 08-30-2011, 08:22 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User
Re: sounding like an old record....

I could not have said it better myself. That is exactly what needs to be!! They do pick up on our non verbal communication. If we can smile, laugh, be relaxed, and enjoy the moment... they will be more likely to do the same. There will be better days and not so good days ahead but you get through each one the best you can and go on to the next. When we stop anticipating and expecting certain behavior life flows along so much better. Go with the flow... yep, you got it!!!

Love, deb

The Following User Says Thank You to Gabriel For This Useful Post:
aviovaimo (08-31-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-30-2011, 08:54 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB User
Re: sounding like an old record....

Hi, you are welcome. We help one another here for support.

Also the patient has sundowning. I don't know if you have heard about it:
In the early/moderate stage, they get more depressed at sunset. They get more fuzzy at sunset. So the best thing to do is to keep him occupied in the day earlier. Then he may get tired and settled down at sunset. Eating supper around sunset (5pm) is a good idea.
Turn on the lights so the room is not dark - he would be afraid of darkness.
Lighting helps (as the sun is up) and he would feel more secure.

My FIL had had sundowning for a long time. Not that he does not have sundowning now. He is sicker now and cannot walk on his own, so the sundowning is not obvious with him now - he is sleepy and tired... He has dinner at 5pm everyday.

You have done so well!

Take care,
Nina

The following user gives a hug of support to ninamarc:
debbie g (08-31-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to ninamarc For This Useful Post:
aviovaimo (08-31-2011)
Closed Thread