It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2011, 02:51 PM   #1
(female)

aviovaimo HB Useraviovaimo HB User
Wink Omg

Well I was initiated into something this afternoon--I just started to cook dinner and he announced that he was going to see another neighbour.He was only wearing underpants so I asked him to come in and put on some shorts.That he was not going to do and would not listen to me so I locked the gate and he was flummoxed by that.....said that no-one had ever done that to him.....I got him to talk to our son over the phone which calmed him down and he came in to get dressed,even called the neighbour to say he was coming and then we ended talking about some little boy who comes and sits in the bedroom at night and he`s the reason my hubby does not sleep sometimes,he has to keep the boy company. So all the aggro over the dressing and gate etc. was totally forgotten.....I`m just amazed at the pendulum......Also I found out that there are cats with penknives in our bedroom trying to saw their way into my handbag.....I now realize that this game does not have rules,you just have to ad-lib......today also included daughter who came in with a painful boil in her armpit(enter mum with sympathy and money for the doc),two trips to the gas-station to get cooking gas as the first one was faulty(enter hubby who insists on calling the electrician for the gas cooker) and a livingroom chair that I`m trying to sandpaper until my fingers are numb-----oh here he comes now with shorts on,I`ve got to walk him down the road,oh boy,oh boy---at least the lasagna is finished!Love to all of you

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-01-2011, 11:47 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User
Re: Omg

Welcome to the world of dementia where you expect the unexpected and all the rules are left behind. You did get. You pick your battles, use diversions, and listen when they decide to talk to you. Most of all you don't argue if you can help it. What I found most useful to divert Dad was ice cream. He could not resist the cool sweet tream. By the time he had finished the big bowl, whatever was making him anxious had vanished from his mind. It is all about going with the flow and working with what you have in the moment.... Yep you did good today

Love, deb

The following user gives a hug of support to Gabriel:
aviovaimo (09-02-2011)
Old 09-02-2011, 07:54 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB User

You have your hands full. It is good that he can still get dressed himself.
One day you will have to help him to dress - you will have to put out the shorts in the morning so he knows he should wear that. Later on, you may need to help him to put it on. It is a slow process.
You are doing so well. You described the episodes so vividly... I had to wonder if the cats were real.
It is good your kids are there for you. I know some big families are like yours -you have lots of family members to help out and you are close. I know a caregiver who is like that - she has a big extended family from other island country and the family is so closed that they care for their own elders. (Some of them are nurses themselves.)

Hugs,
Nina

Last edited by ninamarc; 09-02-2011 at 07:55 AM.

Old 09-03-2011, 06:48 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

meg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB User

Yes. you handled it. You now have graduated Magna *** laude and have earned your degree in quick thinking!! Congratulations.

We all could be on one of those tv shows where they act out scenes by the seat of their pants. (as long as they are wearing pants!

Love, Meg

The following user gives a hug of support to meg1230:
aviovaimo (09-04-2011)
Old 09-03-2011, 07:09 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User

Meg.... you make me laugh Thank you!!

Love Deb

PS.... Hope you are doing well?

Old 09-03-2011, 08:24 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

meg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB User

For what we have been through.. I think I am doing pretty darn good. Don't worry, if I find I'm not, I will be on here in no time looking for support and help!!

Love, Meg

Old 09-03-2011, 11:09 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Meg... I will hold you to that one Besides, you have to make me laugh from time to time hehe

Love, deb

Closed Thread